Why must the Higgs' gauge symmetry be broken?

In summary: The part I do not understand:You must now fix the gauge by using a condensate, such that the rotations are gauge variant as "you want the Higgs to take a specific value". I don't understand what you must fix the gauge. As the ground states are all degenerate, surely the Higgs already has a specific value?
epsilon
The part I understand:

I understand that the spontaneous symmetry breaking of the Higgs produces the 'Mexican hat' potential, with two non-zero stable equilibria.

I understand that as the Higgs is a complex field, there exists a phase component of the field. Under gauge transformations of this Higgs potential (in particular the rotation: [itex]\phi \rightarrow \phi_0 e^{i \theta}[/itex]), you are simply moving between the degenerate ground state of this potential, where this motion simply generates the massless Goldstone bosons, and hence the potential is gauge invariant.

The part I do not understand:

You must now fix the gauge by using a condensate, such that the rotations are gauge variant as "you want the Higgs to take a specific value". I don't understand what you must fix the gauge. As the ground states are all degenerate, surely the Higgs already has a specific value? Please do not use the Lagrangian to explain it! Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
epsilon said:
You must now fix the gauge by using a condensate, such that the rotations are gauge variant as "you want the Higgs to take a specific value". I don't understand what you must fix the gauge. As the ground states are all degenerate, surely the Higgs already has a specific value?
It is not that the potential becomes gauge variant, it is that the ground state is degenerate and one particular choice will be implemented in nature. This choice is not going to respect gauge symmetry and therefore the ground state is not gauge invariant. This is why it is called spontaneous symmetry breaking - the theory itself displays the invariance but the ground state of the theory breaks it.

Likes epsilon
epsilon said:
I understand that the spontaneous symmetry breaking of the Higgs produces the 'Mexican hat' potential, with two non-zero stable equilibria.
Spontaneous symmetry breaking happens due to the shape of the potential, not the other way round.

Likes epsilon
Orodruin said:
It is not that the potential becomes gauge variant, it is that the ground state is degenerate and one particular choice will be implemented in nature. This choice is not going to respect gauge symmetry and therefore the ground state is not gauge invariant. This is why it is called spontaneous symmetry breaking - the theory itself displays the invariance but the ground state of the theory breaks it.

Thank you for your answer, you cleared up the misunderstanding that I had!

mfb said:
Spontaneous symmetry breaking happens due to the shape of the potential, not the other way round.

Thank you! This is why it wasn't making sense.

epsilon said:
The part I understand:

The potential has that shape from the beginning; and there aren't two non-zero minima - there is a continuum of them. The "mexican hat" is IIUC five-dimensional - the "trough" is not one-dimensional as it would be in 3D-case, but has three directions along which potential stays at minimum, their existence creates three Goldstone bosons. The fourth direction is the Higgs particle.

Likes epsilon

1. Why is the Higgs' gauge symmetry important?

The Higgs' gauge symmetry is important because it is responsible for giving particles their mass. Without this symmetry, particles would not have mass and the universe would look very different.

2. What does it mean for the Higgs' gauge symmetry to be broken?

Breaking the Higgs' gauge symmetry means that the Higgs field, which is responsible for giving particles their mass, takes on a non-zero value. This allows for the generation of mass in particles, as well as the formation of the Higgs boson.

3. Why must the Higgs' gauge symmetry be broken?

The Higgs' gauge symmetry must be broken in order for particles to have mass. If the symmetry were not broken, particles would remain massless and the universe would look very different. The breaking of this symmetry is an essential step in the Standard Model of particle physics.

4. How is the Higgs' gauge symmetry broken?

The Higgs' gauge symmetry is broken through a process called spontaneous symmetry breaking, which occurs at very high energies. This process involves the Higgs field interacting with other particles and acquiring a non-zero value, thus breaking the symmetry.

5. What does the discovery of the Higgs boson tell us about the Higgs' gauge symmetry?

The discovery of the Higgs boson in 2012 confirmed the existence of the Higgs field and its role in giving particles their mass. This discovery also provided evidence for the breaking of the Higgs' gauge symmetry, as the Higgs boson is a manifestation of this broken symmetry.