Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why nothing about acceleration?

1. Dec 13, 2011 #1

ShayanJ

Gold Member

I read in the book the elegant universe,that Einstein first saw riemannian geometry in accelerated motion and then,because of the equivalence principle,he proposed the GR model for gravity.So why there is nothing about accelerated motion in the books explaining GR?
    thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2011 #2
    I think you got the events mixed up, first Einstein thought of the equivalence principle, then he tried to develop GR, only after help from others who introduced him to Riemannian geometry he eventually succeeded.

4. Dec 14, 2011 #3

ShayanJ

Gold Member

Ok.I was historically wrong.
    But from Ehrenfest paradox,you can understand that also accelerated motion has to do with riemannian geometry.I just wanna know why there is nothing about that no where?Or if I'm wrong,what's my problem?
    thanks

5. Dec 15, 2011 #4

pervect

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

One of Rindler's relativity books has some treatment of accelerated motion (I forget the title). MTW''s treatment in "Gravitation" is better, though. MTW"s treatment does use tensors.

I'm not sure why it's not in more books, offhand, but you can find treatents of acclerated motion in textbooks if you look at the right textbooks.

For just the bare results, the sci.physics.faq has the "relativistic rocket equation".

http://www.desy.de/user/projects/Physics/Relativity/SR/rocket.html

6. Dec 15, 2011 #5
    Here are some more.

“Special Relativity” by A.P. French (1966) has a section “accelerated motion” in its chapter on kinematics.

“Basic Relativity” by Richard A. Mould (1994) has a whole chapter on “Uniform Acceleration” where the hyperbolic transformations used in pervect’s reference are derived.

But to agree with pervect, typical undergraduate textbooks don't even mention acceleration. Why? Don't know.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook