I Why simultaneous detection of wave and particle nature is not possible

• Thread starter Ablaze_
  • Start date
We have been taught that the there is no experiment designed to detect wave and particle nature of light simultaneously. Also, that light propagates by the virtue of its wave nature and interacts by the virtue of its particle nature.

let us take an electron beam passing through two slits while similarly being in a constant magnetic field. Now, we will see interference as well as bending of electron beam due to magnetic field. Aren't we getting wave and particle nature simultaneously?

(Also note that the phase velocity of waves is different than that of the particle, so we may also get different magnetic force on particles even though we consider that F=qv*B can be applied for a wave.)

We have been taught that the there is no experiment designed to detect wave and particle nature of light simultaneously. Also, that light propagates by the virtue of its wave nature and interacts by the virtue of its particle nature.
Where have "we" been "taught" these things? Can you give a reference?

let us take an electron beam
Do you want to talk about light or electrons?

Delta2

Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Isnt this the semiclassical model for light to which Max Planck and Einstein had arrived after explaining black body radiation spectrum (by Planck) and photoelectric effect(by Einstein). Of course this is old stuff you might say, 1900s. Since the 1960s we have a complete quantum field theory of light called quantum electrodynamics of which I (and probably the OP too) have no idea.
Could you enlighten us perhaps and give us a brief description of what QED says about light when it travels and when it interacts?

Do you want to talk about light or electrons?

I assumed that the nature of matter waves is similar to the light wave. If it isn't i request you to point the respective behaviors in both the cases

I assumed that the nature of matter waves is similar to the light wave.
In some respects they are. But I asked where "we" were "taught" the specific things you said:

Where are you getting this from? Do you have a reference?

Isnt this the semiclassical model for light to which Max Planck and Einstein had arrived after explaining black body radiation spectrum (by Planck) and photoelectric effect(by Einstein).
What the OP wrote does not match any specific model I'm aware of. That's why I'm asking where he got it from. I suspect it's from pop science sources, not an actual textbook or peer-reviewed paper.

Could you enlighten us perhaps and give us a brief description of what QED says about light when it travels and when it interacts?
Even a "brief" description at this level of generality is too much for a single PF thread. We would need to focus on a single specific experimental scenario.