1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why soda bubbles when you shake it

1. Mar 21, 2012 #1
    I understand most of the physics of soda. The bubbles are carbon dioxide in the form of gas and they are rushing to the top to escape from the liquid. I'm trying to figure out why soda bubbles when you shake it. My guess is that when you shake it you're adding energy (work) to the soda and carbon dioxide needs more energy to form gas bubbles in the soda, so that added energy causes the carbon dioxide gas. Let me know if this is correct.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2012 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

4. Mar 21, 2012 #3
    thanks for the webiste link, that answers things.

5. Mar 21, 2012 #4
    The answer they give in that link is either wrong or incomplete. If you take the top off first and then shake it, then you cannot be forcing the carbon dioxide gas just under the lid back into the liquid because it has already escaped. If you follow their line of reasoning, shaking after removing the lid should do nothing. And yet, experience shows that shaking increases the bubbling whether the lid is on or off.

I think it is a case of nucleation. It is the same reason that microwaved clean water can explode in your face when you shake it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook