Why Software/IT/Coding Jobs are payed higher?

• Thread starter koolraj09
  • Start date
Hey all,
I think that if you work for a firm, the amount of value you add to your firm decides the pay you get.
But there's always this discussion that "Why Software/IT/Coding Jobs are payed higher?" compared to some core jobs like electrical or mechanical design engineers?

Answers and Replies

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
First, the amount of value you add to your firm is often a subjective decision. Second, the law of Supply and Demand has a LOT to say about pay scales. Third, please cite references on why you think programmers make more than other engineers (I'm not arguing one way or the other but I also do not know this to be true for sure and you need to support your statements).

wukunlin
Gold Member
Why Software/IT/Coding Jobs are payed higher?
They're not paid higher according to the data released by recruitment companies over here.

While reading some financial/economic analysis, I came across a similar question and an answer:

"Why do professional athletes, movie actors, and even some 23-year-old computer programmers earn so much more than teachers, nurses, and factory-line workers? The answer is simple. They’ve found a way to spread the impact of their efforts over a very large number of individuals, while the teachers, nurses, and factory-line workers can apply their efforts to a dramatically smaller number of “units,” be they students, patients, or boxes of Corn Flakes. For massive too-big-to-fail banks, the units are dollars. The downside is that as certain winners are able to spread their efforts over an enormous number of people, the required number of winners declines – ask anyone who has ever tried to become a movie actor or a pro-basketball player. International trade and internet communications, among other developments, have significantly increased that tendency toward winner-take-all outcomes. When that effect is expanded through international trade, the result is that yes, each country benefits in aggregate, but you also observe a “hollowing out” of the middle class, particularly for families that don’t have labor or capital that shares in the distribution."

Last edited: