1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why steepest descent gives a wrong direction search?

1. May 12, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have to minimize the function (x1-1)2+x23+x1x2 by the steepest descent method. The initial point is [1,1]T

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    The gradient of this function is ∇ƒ(x1,x2)=[2(x1-1)-x2 3x22-x1]. This gradient evaluated in the initial point is ∇ƒ(1,1)=[-1 2]. Following the steepest descent method it is mandatory to minimize the function ƒ(x0-α∇ƒ(x0)) in order to find the value of α. So ƒ(x0-α∇ƒ(x0))=-5α+15α2-8α3 and ƒ'(x0-α∇ƒ(x0))=-5+30α-24α2. This function has extreme points in α1=0.95061 and α2=5.094. In order to be a minimum of this curve ƒ''(x0-α∇ƒ(x0))=30-48α has to be positive. This is my problem ƒ''(x0-α∇ƒ(x0) evaluated at both α values is negative so they don´t minimize the direction. So what I am doing wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just inspecting the gradient of the original function f(x1, x2), something doesn't look right.

If you take ∂f / ∂x1, how did you obtain [2(x1-1)-x2], specifically, the ' - x2' part? I'm confused, because there were no negative signs between terms in the original definition of f(x1, x2). A similar question arises in what you show to be ∂f / ∂x2.

4. May 13, 2015 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

As SteamKing has pointed out, your gradient formula is incorrect, and your initial steepest-descent direction is wrong. However, when you correct these errors, you will obtain a function ##\phi(\alpha) = f(x_0 - \alpha \nabla f(x_0))## that has no stationary points at all. What does that tell you?

5. May 13, 2015 #4
    Oh! Excuse me! You are right! However I made a mistake when I wrote the original problem. Let me write it again. I have to minimize the function ƒ(x1,x2)=(x1-1)2+x23-x1x2. The initial point is [1,1]T.

6. May 13, 2015 #5
    Excuse me all of you. Finally I got the mistake I made solved. It was an incorrect solutions of ƒ'(x0-α∇ƒ(x0))=-5+30α-24α2 .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted