1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Max rate of descent , gradient?

1. Oct 11, 2009 #1
    Can anyone help me with the following question?
    Find the path of the steepest descent along the surface z=x^3 + 3y^2 from the point (1, -2, 13) to (0,0,0)
    Note: the general solution of the differential equation f ' (t)-kf(t) =0 is
    f(t) = ce^kt, where c is an arbitary number
    ______________________________________…

I understand that max rate of change occurs in the direction of the gradient, and max descent occurs in the -gradient(f) direction

But I don't know what to do with the 2 points..and how it has anything to do with the formula given as a hint..

Can anyone help
    Thanks so much

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2009 #2
    Research something called directional derivative.

4. Oct 11, 2009 #3
    I do know what that directional derivative is, but can u give a more concrete suggestion?

5. Oct 11, 2009 #4

zcd

[tex]\nabla{f}= \frac{\partial f}{\partial x} \hat{i}+\frac{\partial f}{\partial y} \hat{j}[/tex], and [tex]\hat{u}=-\frac{1}{\sqrt{5}}\hat{i}+\frac{2}{\sqrt{5}}\hat{j}[/tex] for all values along the path.

6. Oct 11, 2009 #5
    thanks , but how did you get the answer??

I don't undestand it...

7. Oct 11, 2009 #6

zcd

That's not the answer, but you can get direction by subtracting P-P0 and dividing by its magnitude (to make it a unit vector).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook