Why v vs. t graph signifies but s vs. t^2 doesn't ?

Summary:

This is a question which crossed my mind when I was analyzing the dimensions of the quantities.
Why v vs. t graph signifies but s vs. t^2 doesn't ? This is a question which crossed my mind when I was analyzing the dimensions of the quantities.

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
The question isn't "why doesn't it mean something?", but "what would it mean?"

Mister T
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Are you asking why a graph of ##v## versus ##t## has some significance but a graph of ##s## versus ##t^2## doesn't have any significance? Certainly the area under each graph has different dimensions, but the slope of each graph has dimensions of acceleration. But it's only the slope of the ##v## versus ##t## graph that equals the acceleration. The slope of the ##s## versus ##t^2## graph has dimensions of acceleration but it's not equal to the acceleration.

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
2019 Award
Signifies what exactly?

sophiecentaur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Signifies what exactly?
I think it just goes to demonstrate that hopping in and out between Physics to Maths may be no more than a 'brain exercise' and may or may not have 'significance'.
I have noticed that the question of what Maths Is All About has come up quite frequently, or at least been inferred, in a number of recent threads.
Are you asking why a graph of v versus t has some significance but a graph of s versus t2 doesn't have any significance?
Isn't that just the distance travelled under constant acceleration? I would call that very significant.
But this sort of discussion will never get us anywhere, imo.