Why was my thread deleted?

In summary, this person is trying to figure out how to compute the determinant of a matrix, but they are having difficulty.
Physics news on Phys.org
Geigercounter said:
First of all, I don't know where to put this.

I had a thread in the advanced physics homework help (https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...dark-matter-numerically.1052335/#post-6883072) but it just vanished overnight. I never got a notification or something.

What happened here?
It looks like it got hard deleted somehow. Is it related to this reply of yours?

Geigercounter said:
I'm stuggling with a similar problem! Any updates on this thread @JD_PM? or @phyzguy? I've also posted my version of this question on ths forum.

I already found that the above method won't work, because this supposes an analytical solution can be found in Matlab. We'll need to implement a numerical solution, and we'll have to use the ode45 function or similar in Matlab.

Based on the post id it must have been May 10 between 3:32 and 3:34 pm UTC.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
berkeman said:
It looks like it got hard deleted somehow. Is it related to this reply of yours?
Yes it is! It was similar to that question but I had some extended questions and gave some more details than that thread.

Likes berkeman
It looks like you've been able to successfully repost:

Geigercounter said:
Homework Statement: I want to compute the following path integral
$$Z[w] = \frac{1}{(2\pi)^{n/2}}\int d^n x \: \prod_{i=1}^{n}d\overline{\theta}_id\theta \: \exp{\left(-\overline{\theta}_i \partial_j w_i(x)\theta_j -\frac{1}{2}w_i(x)w_i(x)\right)}.$$ Here $w_i(x)$ are functions of the $n$ real variables $x_i$ and $\theta_i$ and $\overline{\theta}_i$ are $n$ independent Grassmann variables.
Relevant Equations: See below.

The first step seems easy: computation of the $\theta$ and $\overline{\theta}$ integrals give
$$Z[w] = \frac{1}{(2\pi)^{n/2}}\int d^n x \: \det(\partial_j w_i(x)) \exp{\left(-\frac{1}{2}w_i(x)w_i(x)\right)}.$$

From here, I tried using that $$\det(\partial_j w_i (x)) = \det\left(\partial_j w_i \left(\frac{d}{db}\right)\right) \exp\left(b_i x_i\right)\bigg\vert_{b=0}.$$ But I don't seem to be able to apply this step.

Other ideas I had included writing out the determinant as $$det(\partial_j w_i(x)) = \frac{1}{n!}\varepsilon_{i_1...i_n}\varepsilon_{j_1...j_n} \partial_{j_1} w_{i_1}(x) ... \partial_{j_n} w_{i_n}(x)$$ to then use some kind of partial integration.
Another, similar, idea was to use the fact that $$\det = \exp(\text{Tr} \ln) $$

@berkeman This is a different post... But I'm looking for an answer there too! If you could maybe have a look :)

All I can think of is that yesterday I did prune some soft deleted threads, but I made sure they were older than 180 days ago. Really weird.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Really weird.
With the several "oops" incidents and backward non-compatibility incidents recently, would it be appropriate to slow down on "new-and-improved" implementations?

There's more to the OP's account than you can see. Probably not their fault, but probably why their post came the attention of the AI that protects us.

OK, thanks for the reply, but...

What! The Robots have invaded here too? :oldwink: :wink:

term.jpg

Your thread has been terminated.

• Haha
Likes Tom.G, Geigercounter and pinball1970