Why will my NFS server not allwo connections

• Thread starter ComputerGeek
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Server
In summary: There's a number of things that could be at fault here:(1) Like most features of UNIX origins, Linux has them implemented poorly. This is definitely the case, especially when you're working with non-Linux implementations. Even worse is when you're working with different NFS versions from different NFS implementations.(2) DNS/NIS are generally good things to have on your network when working with NFS. Most NFS implementations try to reverse the IP to match it with the value in the configuration file. If you specify a hostname or network in your exports file, double check to make sure the system you're trying to mount the exported volume on has a correct reverse
ComputerGeek
Why will my NFS server not allwo connections!

Grrr... NFS is really driving me nuts.

On my Mac, I have exported my home directory so that I can use the files on my Linux box. The problem is that when I try to connect to the Mac I get a permission denied error.

I have exported my home directory seemingly correctly.

I did come across some FBSD NG posts about how FBSD will only allow filesystems exported under /usr. could OS X have inherited this when they moved to tiger?

Computer science news on Phys.org
ComputerGeek said:
Grrr... NFS is really driving me nuts.

On my Mac, I have exported my home directory so that I can use the files on my Linux box. The problem is that when I try to connect to the Mac I get a permission denied error.

I have exported my home directory seemingly correctly.

I did come across some FBSD NG posts about how FBSD will only allow filesystems exported under /usr. could OS X have inherited this when they moved to tiger?

There's a number of things that could be at fault here:

(1) Like most features of UNIX origins, Linux has them implemented poorly. This is definitely the case, especially when you're working with non-Linux implementations. Even worse is when you're working with different NFS versions from different NFS implementations.

(2) DNS/NIS are generally good things to have on your network when working with NFS. Most NFS implementations try to reverse the IP to match it with the value in the configuration file. If you specify a hostname or network in your exports file, double check to make sure the system you're trying to mount the exported volume on has a correct reverse. I suggest you either (a) always use hostnames or networks or (b) IPs when working with NFS -- don't mix and match.

(3) Finally, you may be using "secure" exported NFS volumes, which means a client cannot send a request from a port > 1024 (this would imply the request was being sent by a non-root user -- hence, the "secure"). IIRC, since the user you normally are in working with an OS X -- a non-root user, 'Finder' or whatever will send the request via a non-privileged port. I haven't worked with the Linux NFS implementation in awhile, but it may export 'secure' volumes by default, so consult your documentation ('man exports' should provide you with the relevant information) to figure out how to explicitly specify that you wish you to export the volume in an insecure manner.

Edit: The "FBSD NG post" that you consulted was blatantly wrong. Depending on the NFS implementation and version, you may only be able to export the filesystems as a whole. By default, FreeBSD creates a /, /usr, and /var filesystems, so you may only be able to export /, /usr, /var, but not any specific subdirectories of any of those filesystems -- other implementations and versions of NFS allow you to do this. This has nothing to do with a client mounting a filesystem, though.

Last edited:
Did you setup your /etc/hosts.allow properly?

I thought that if you do not specify any allow or deny that it defaulted to allow.

how should I set it up?

1. Why am I unable to connect to my NFS server?

There could be several reasons why you are unable to connect to your NFS server. Some possible causes include incorrect server configuration, network connectivity issues, or firewall settings blocking incoming connections. It is important to troubleshoot each of these potential issues to determine the root cause of the problem.

2. How do I check if my NFS server is running?

To check if your NFS server is running, you can use the command "systemctl status nfs-server" on Linux or "sc query nfs" on Windows. This will show the current status of the NFS server and any error messages that may indicate why connections are not allowed.

3. What permissions should be set on the NFS server?

The permissions on the NFS server should be set to allow access from the clients you want to connect to it. This typically involves setting the appropriate read and write permissions for the NFS shared directory and adding the client's IP addresses to the server's access control list.

4. Can I connect to an NFS server over the internet?

While it is possible to connect to an NFS server over the internet, it is not recommended for security reasons. NFS is designed for use on local networks and does not have built-in encryption or authentication mechanisms, making it vulnerable to attacks over the internet. It is best to limit NFS connections to trusted networks.

5. How can I troubleshoot NFS connection issues?

If you are experiencing issues connecting to your NFS server, there are a few steps you can take to troubleshoot the problem. First, check the server and client logs for any error messages. Next, ensure that the server and client are on the same network and can communicate with each other. You can also use tools like "rpcinfo" or "showmount" to check the NFS server's status and confirm that it is exporting the shared directory correctly.