Why won't power utility company charge for kVA instead of kW

In summary, power companies would love to charge for reactive current, but customers object that they get no value from this so why should they pay for it?
From Don's link:

We found that CFLs could pay for themselves in less than a year, saving you about $52 per 60-watt incandescent equivalent over the life of the bulb.

I like to check such claims.

$52 at 14 cents/kwh is 371.43 kwh which a 60 watt lamp will consume in about 6190.5 hours.
A CFL drawing 15 watts over that same 6190.5 hours will consume just 92.8 kwh, costing $13.00

So the saving in energy cost is about (52 -13 )$ / (6190.5) hours = 0.630 cents per hour (that's to three decimal places, $ 6.299976E-3)
that's a dollar every 1/0.00630 =158.8 hours = 6.62 days
To make $52 would be 52 X 6.62 = 344 days not quite a year.
So we might as well round off that energy saving number to a dollar a week if it's on continuously like my kitchen light .
Hmmm first time I've ever done this arithmetic.

They'll last a lot longer than a year if power isn't cycled often and the electronics in the base stays cool.
My kitchen light stays on continuously and the bulb mounts upright not base up like a ceiling fixture, so heat rises away from its base.. And since it's always on i don't suffer that aggravating initial dimness.
First CFL there lasted seven years so i made out like a bandit on it.
Second one lasted just a couple months
Third one i think three years, memory is growing dim
Fourth is in about year four now.

So even a curmudgeon like me has to admit
CFL's do have that one redeeming feature. I guess ...

old jim

Last edited:
Likes dlgoff and DrClaude
<h2>1. Why do power utility companies charge for kW instead of kVA?</h2><p>Power utility companies charge for kW because it is a measure of the actual power consumed by a customer's electrical equipment. This is a more accurate measure of the energy used, as it takes into account the power factor of the equipment.</p><h2>2. What is the difference between kW and kVA?</h2><p>kW stands for kilowatt and is a unit of real power, while kVA stands for kilovolt-ampere and is a unit of apparent power. kW takes into account the power factor, which is the ratio of real power to apparent power. kVA does not take into account power factor and is therefore a less accurate measure of energy consumption.</p><h2>3. Why is charging for kVA not a fair method of billing?</h2><p>Charging for kVA is not a fair method of billing because it does not accurately reflect the energy consumed. It can result in customers being charged for power that they are not actually using, leading to higher electricity bills. This is especially true for customers with low power factor equipment.</p><h2>4. Can customers improve their power factor to reduce their electricity bills?</h2><p>Yes, customers can improve their power factor by using power factor correction devices or by upgrading to more energy-efficient equipment. This can help reduce their electricity bills by reducing the amount of reactive power they consume, resulting in a lower kVA demand.</p><h2>5. Are there any benefits to charging for kW instead of kVA?</h2><p>Yes, charging for kW instead of kVA encourages customers to use more energy-efficient equipment and to improve their power factor. This not only helps reduce their electricity bills but also benefits the overall power grid by reducing strain and increasing efficiency.</p>

1. Why do power utility companies charge for kW instead of kVA?

Power utility companies charge for kW because it is a measure of the actual power consumed by a customer's electrical equipment. This is a more accurate measure of the energy used, as it takes into account the power factor of the equipment.

2. What is the difference between kW and kVA?

kW stands for kilowatt and is a unit of real power, while kVA stands for kilovolt-ampere and is a unit of apparent power. kW takes into account the power factor, which is the ratio of real power to apparent power. kVA does not take into account power factor and is therefore a less accurate measure of energy consumption.

3. Why is charging for kVA not a fair method of billing?

Charging for kVA is not a fair method of billing because it does not accurately reflect the energy consumed. It can result in customers being charged for power that they are not actually using, leading to higher electricity bills. This is especially true for customers with low power factor equipment.

4. Can customers improve their power factor to reduce their electricity bills?

Yes, customers can improve their power factor by using power factor correction devices or by upgrading to more energy-efficient equipment. This can help reduce their electricity bills by reducing the amount of reactive power they consume, resulting in a lower kVA demand.

5. Are there any benefits to charging for kW instead of kVA?

Yes, charging for kW instead of kVA encourages customers to use more energy-efficient equipment and to improve their power factor. This not only helps reduce their electricity bills but also benefits the overall power grid by reducing strain and increasing efficiency.