1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why would density increase when Poisson's ratio > 0.5?

1. Oct 19, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Does anyone understand why density would increase when the poisson ratio is greater than 0.5 as indicated in this slide from my professor:

t2lT7.png

Does this density increase apply to a system undergoing tension or compression or both?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2012 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You have to think about what Poisson's ration means ... how does a compression affect volume for different Poisson's Ratios?

4. Oct 20, 2012 #3
    LqhrE.jpg

Alright so here calculated what the volume change would be for when Poisson's ratio < 0.5. It told me that the volume would decrease which implies that the density increases. But according to the lecture notes this is not true. Instead when the ratio is < 0.5 the density decreases...

Note: I also calculated for the volume when Poisson's ratio = 0.5, which according to the notes there should be no volume change. But in my calculations I found there is a volume change...

What am I doing wrong?

5. Oct 20, 2012 #4
    Let a bar be stretched by εx. For a Poisson ratio of 0.5, the strains in the y and z directions are:

εy=-0.5 εx

εz=-0.5 εx

The volumetric strain is the sum of the three linear strains, and is equal to zero.

Same problem with Poisson ratio = 0.3

εx + εy + εz = 0.4 εx

So the volume increases, and the density decreases when a bar is stretched under tension and the material has a Poisson ratio of <0.5

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook