Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why would Tesla want free enrgy for everyone?

1. May 31, 2010 #1
    Why we Tesla want to give away free energy when he knew he could make money off
    of it?

2. jcsd
  3. May 31, 2010 #2
    Re: Why would Telsa want free enrgy for everyone?

Humanitarian reasons? Not really a physics question...

4. May 31, 2010 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I don't know....are you suggesting you believe Tesla wanted free energy? Did he ever actually say that?

....moving to GD.

5. May 31, 2010 #4

I am not trying to suggest anything, I was curious if there was a logical reason.

6. May 31, 2010 #5

Have you asked him about it lol? How are we suppost to know what he wanted?

I mean from what I know he made claims that he could split the earth in two and had been in communications with aliens so...

Also I read something about him that I really don't like it involved one of his early devices.

7. Jun 1, 2010 #6

Continue... I'm interested :tongue:

@OP. Do you have a source where Tesla claims he specifically wanted to provide the world with free energy? Or maybe a source to cite him actually attempting to follow through with the plan?

I would assume he might have commented on doing such a thing but I highly doubt it was more than just a 'propaganda tool' in order to attempt to sway public opinion his direction. We use 'Tesla's concept' of energy... (AC) and it's far from free. :smile:

8. Jun 1, 2010 #7

Well, if he DID want it, provided it was possible to produce enough of it, I don't see what's so strange about it. Contrary to popular belief, not everyone is mainly concerned with increasing their personal assets as much as possible.

9. Jun 1, 2010 #8

I wouldn't have been amazed if tesla did want to give the world free energy as he was born into wealth and never really had to work for anything in the way most people do. He was more the type to just invent and let someone else figure out how to market it.

10. Jun 1, 2010 #9

How can you provide FREE ENERGY even if you are richest person of the planet ? !

The point is that, he might have decided to try out his new inventions and different works for free to common people just to check the popularity of his ideas, ESPECIALLY WHEN EDISON WAS ON THE OTHER SIDE !!

:smile:

11. Jun 1, 2010 #10

You mean especially when Edison was lying hidden behind a bush with a detonator linked to an explosive in order to sabotage Tesla's progress in every imaginable way?

12. Jun 1, 2010 #11

Well first off I think the concept of free energy is stupid because even it was "free" the responsiblity you would need when using it would make it less then free imo.

As to zomgwtf the invention I was talking about is something I would consider animal cruelty if that gives you any ideas... If you really want to know what it is I suggest you pick up a book about his life im sure you can find one at the library.

To ali inam I don't really want to say how he was going to get his "free energy" because I don't want to give anyone any ideas but lets just say it was probably the worst way to get energy I can think of. If you look into the history of that huge tower he was building you can probably figure it out.

13. Jun 1, 2010 #12

I meant that it was all AC and DC going on around at that time

Two different thing proposed by two different scientists !!

14. Jun 1, 2010 #13

Yep, and one of them (Hint: Edison) devoting a majority of his time to smearing the other.

15. Jun 1, 2010 #14

I don't think edison devoted a majority of his time to smearing him but he was however a much better salesman.

16. Jun 1, 2010 #15

Edison was certainly the better business man; and seemingly much more concerned with financial success then Tesla.

17. Jun 1, 2010 #16

So we could all live in star trek world?

18. Jun 1, 2010 #17

Oh he did. Interstingly enough Edison invented the electric chair, to show 'just how dangerous Tesla's AC was'. When his own DC devices were overheating and killing quite a few people.

Tesla was by far the better scientist. Edison buteforced the work not using logical steps, then proceeded to sue everyone left right and centre.

19. Jun 1, 2010 #18

I'm not sure about that tesla might have had a better mind for coming up with new ideas but edison was far better at being rigorous. It's sorta like the tortoise< and the hare imo.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  20. Jun 1, 2010 #19

Well, whoever was successful,

We have both scientists to thank for, dont we ? !

:wink:

21. Jun 1, 2010 #20

Tortoise can be a little harsh for the soul of Mr Nikola Tesla !!

:tongue2:

22. Jun 1, 2010 #21

mheslep

Gold Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loss_leader" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  23. Jun 1, 2010 #22

From what I remember reading Tesla certainly wanted to be capable of providing free/low cost energy to the world if at all possible, and I am fairly sure he believed it was. I can not cite quotes but it is a fact that Tesla forgave his contract with Westinghouse and took no further money from them when they realized that they could not continue to pay him royalties and remain competitive with Edison. Tesla himself also had little consideration for the amounts of money he spent. His actual work was far more important to him and only cared about money in so far as it was necessary to continue it. He died [relatively] poor and in massive debt.

24. Jun 1, 2010 #23

Tesla worked for years on a way to transmit electric power through the earth and air. Anyone anywhere would be able to have power by simply tapping into the ground and having an antenna for the other side of the circuit. This was his high voltage, high frequency AC. The ground was "hot" the air was the neutral.

He got the system up and running in Colorado. For about 10 minutes. It caused a dynamo meltdown in the local power station supplying the juice. While it was running, sparks started flying from the ground to any and all conductors above ground. People in the vicinity had sparks flying from the ground to the nails in the soles of their shoes. It was chaotic and disturbing. But insanely magnificent. The local power company, however, refused to power him up again.

Later, he got J.P. Morgan to back a similar tower in N.J. Tesla didn't get it running when he promised he would, so Morgan cut off funding. Tesla pestered him over and over for more, but once he'd missed the first promised deadline for results Morgan was over it, and didn't trust him. Morgan had been skeptical from the start, but decided to gambol something like $150,000 (much more in today's terms), because Tesla had, after all, made Westinghouse a success. Tesla said the transmitter could also be used to send radio signals anywhere on earth at full strength, without distortion. That's the angle that interested Morgan, not the free power.

Tesla wanted to give people free power because then he'd be a hero. Thing is, his transmitter, even had it worked, still needed to be powered by conventional means. Someone would have had to foot the bill. All it did was eliminate the cost of wiring.

Most crackpot free energy inventors are basically just trying to be popular heros, sticking it to the system, as it were. The trouble is none of their inventions work.

By contrast, the patented ZooBonic Free Energy Machine, is guaranteed to provide a continuous source of energy for the lifetime of the device. For a mere $49.95*, you, yes you, can tap into Zoobonic energy right there in the comfort of your own home. The device is continuous! You heard me. Continuous, and guaranteed, for as long as it lasts.

Send your checks to:

Mr. Z. Shoe
    Zoobie Brush Shelter
    Tecolote Canyon
    San Diego, Ca.

*Please include $179.00 for crating and shipping costs. Batteries sold separately.

25. Jun 1, 2010 #24

Tesla is one of my favorite historical figures. I think he may have been a bit disconnected from reality, however. To quote:

26. Jun 2, 2010 #25

i'm still waiting for one of those John Galt static electricity antennas. :tongue2:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook