Wick rotation is consistent with caculus?

• Thread starter PRB147
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rotation
In summary: No. A Wick rotation generally proceeds through a quadrant of the complex plane where the integrand is strictly zero at infinity. So, the contour actually involves (in the case you cite) the positive real axis, a 90 degree arc at infinity and the positive complex axis.In summary, the action in this conversation is changing from x(t)=-i\tau to x(t)=i\int_0^\infty d\tau\left[\frac{m}{2}\left(\frac{dx}{d\tau}\right)^2+V(x)\right]. The upper limit of the integral in the second equation is still infinite because it is a rotation in the complex
PRB147
knowing the action
[tex]S[x(t)]=\int_0^\infty dt'\left[\frac{m}{2}\left(\frac{dx}{dt'}\right)^2-V(x)\right][/tex]
After the so-called wick's rotation[tex]t'=-i\tau[/tex] with [tex]\tau[/tex] being real,
the action becomes
[tex]S[x(t)]=i\int_0^\infty d\tau\left[\frac{m}{2}\left(\frac{dx}{d\tau}\right)^2+V(x)\right][/tex]
my question is why the upper limit of the integral in the secong equation is still [tex]\infty[/tex]?
I think ist should be [tex]+i\infty[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
PRB147 said:
my question is why the upper limit of the integral in the secong equation is still [tex]\infty[/tex]?
Because it is not merely a change of variable : it is really a rotation in the complex plane. A Wick rotation is usually equivalent to a so-called "i[itex]\epsilon[/itex]" prescription : you want to define a contour in the complex plane avoiding the singularities of your integrand on a precise side (up or down, right or left). Usually you do that because your integrand is well behaved at infinity only in certain directions.

If I understand correctly, "calculus" refers to "real analysis". A Wick rotation involves complex analysis. If that can cheer you up, complex analysis is very different from real analysis, and in many regards more powerful, so I would say more fun to use.

avoiding the singularities of your integrand on a precise side (up or down, right or left). Usually you do that because your integrand is well behaved at infinity only in certain directions.
Do you mean the origin, the positive real axis and positive imaginary axis constitute a
closed contour?

humanino said:
Because it is not merely a change of variable : it is really a rotation in the complex plane. A Wick rotation is usually equivalent to a so-called "i[itex]\epsilon[/itex]" prescription

So by "usually" do you mean that a Wick rotation in position space is almost the same as doing the Wick rotation in momentum space, but not always?

Because when you have the [tex]i\epsilon [/tex] prescription in momentum space, you know where your singularities are, so you can perform a Wick rotation. But in position space you just perform a Wick rotation without knowing where the singularities are.

PRB147 said:
Do you mean the origin, the positive real axis and positive imaginary axis constitute a
closed contour?

No. Wick rotation generally proceeds through a quadrant of the complex plane where the integrand is strictly zero at infinity. So, the contour actually involves (in the case you cite) the positive real axis, a 90 degree arc at infinity and the positive complex axis.

RedX said:
So by "usually" do you mean that a Wick rotation in position space is almost the same as doing the Wick rotation in momentum space, but not always?

Because when you have the [tex]i\epsilon [/tex] prescription in momentum space, you know where your singularities are, so you can perform a Wick rotation. But in position space you just perform a Wick rotation without knowing where the singularities are.
Well I hope that the potential V can be treated pertubatively around a minimum (steepest descent) as usual in momentum space.

What is Wick rotation?

Wick rotation is a mathematical technique used to simplify calculations in quantum field theory by rotating time into the imaginary plane.

How is Wick rotation related to calculus?

Wick rotation is consistent with calculus because it allows for the manipulation of complex numbers, which are often used in calculus. By rotating time into the imaginary plane, the equations become easier to solve using traditional calculus methods.

Why is Wick rotation useful in quantum field theory?

Wick rotation allows for the treatment of time as a spatial dimension, making it easier to apply traditional calculus techniques to solve complex equations in quantum field theory. It also helps to eliminate divergent integrals, making calculations more accurate.

Are there any limitations to using Wick rotation?

While Wick rotation is a useful tool in quantum field theory, it is not always applicable. It is limited to certain types of equations and may not work well in all situations.

Who first developed the concept of Wick rotation?

Wick rotation was first introduced by Gian-Carlo Wick in the 1950s as a way to simplify calculations in quantum electrodynamics.