1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Width measurements and conversions

1. Sep 1, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    a. How wide is the gap between tiles in centimeters?
    b. How wide is the gap in inches
    c. How many algae-thicknesses is the gap between tiles

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

First off, I just want to know if I did a and b correctly. To set up a, I took 0.90 mm x 2 to get 1.8 mm per gap. I then converted 1.8 millimeters in order to get to centimeters. I came up with 0.18 centimeters. For b, I just divided 0.18cm/2.54cm to get the answer in inches. As for c, I suppose I will just convert, what do you think about a and b so far?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2008 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

A and B would be correct.

C is asking how many algae diameters across. That requires a unit-less ratio.

4. Sep 1, 2008 #3
    Couldn't I just convert 9.45 micrometers to centimeters and divide by 0.18 cm to get the thickness between the gaps in terms of algae thicknesses?

5. Sep 1, 2008 #4

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

The question asks for how many will fit across. You divide the algae width INTO the gap in the tile dimension. Of course you need to make sure your units are correct, so the gap distance should be in the same units as the algae width.

6. Sep 1, 2008 #5
    So I converted 0.18 centimeters to micrometers and got 1800 micrometers. So then, I just take 1800 micrometers divded by 9.45 micrometers to get how many will fit across? 1800/9.45. I came up with 190.476, but since I can only have two significant figures in my answer, it would be 190 algae cells. How does that sound?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?