1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Will biomedicine lead to master of biomedical engineering?

1. Jan 15, 2016 #1
    i'm currently enrolled in a degree in biomedicine, i want to know whether i can do a master in bio medical engineering , the employability of the field and what sort of content is there in such a degree ?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2016 #2

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

"Biomedicine" is a rather broad term and so the program can vary considerably depending on the school. My understanding though is that generally these degrees are set up more to prepare students for clinical-scientist jobs working in say pathology, haematology, or genetics labs and as such the background tends to lean more towards the biochemistry realm of the sciences.

To get into biomedical engineering you generally need a degree that leans more towards the engineering or applied physical sciences realm. Most of the biomedical engineers I know came through undergrad as electrical engineering majors. That's not to say that you can't get in from other areas, but you'll have to look into specific programs that sound interesting now and look at what their admissions requirements are.

As to what's done in the field, it's another very broad area. Most of the biomedical engineers I know work in MRI, but that's not nearly the extent of the field. In general terms they design, build and develop medical devices, so that can include everything from pacemakers to artificial limbs to imaging equipment. So you can imagine that the field is going to depend on the demand for those devices, which is likely to be fairly steady in the long term.

4. Jan 18, 2016 #3
    And I work mostly on the mechanical side of biomedical engineering, although I am starting to see some of the pharmacology/organic chemistry side as well. For the mechanical side, you get lots of people with a background in mechanical or chemical engineering, and for the pharma side mostly ChemE. This is a pretty broad field with lots to do.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook