Will gravity affect the splash of a pebble in the underground lake on Mars?

In summary: It's possible that the lower gravity could actually make it more difficult to skip the rock because it would have less downward force pushing it into the water. In summary, an underground lake was discovered on Mars last week and two questions were raised regarding skipping a pebble on the surface. Due to the lower gravity on Mars, it is likely that a distance record for skipping a pebble could be beaten, though there may be complications such as wearing a spacesuit and the depth of the lake. The number of skips may not necessarily be affected by the lower gravity, but the lower force of gravity could make it more challenging to skip a rock on the surface.
Yoni
They found an underground lake on Mars last week!
Given that the lake exists and is actually liquid (and has a surface), two obvious questions come to mind:
1. Will I be able to beet my earthly current record in bouncing a pebble there?
2. If I release a pebble from a given height here and there, which splash will be higher?

Cheers to space exploration!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yoni said:
They found an underground lake on Mars last week!
Given that the lake exists and is actually liquid (and has a surface), two obvious questions come to mind:
1. Will I be able to beet my earthly current record in bouncing a pebble there?
Do you mean "skipping" a pebble? What record do you mean here -- number of skips or distance travelled?
The gravity on Mars is only 38% of the gravity here on Earth (http://coolcosmos.ipac.caltech.edu/ask/73-How-strong-is-the-gravity-on-Mars-), so a rock would travel farther after each skip. As far as the number of skips, I don't know how the lower gravity would affect this.

As on Earth, you would not want to use a pebble, but would want to choose a rock with a flat surface. As English is probably not your first language, a pebble is a small stone, typically roundish. A good skipping stone would tend to be larger than a pebble.
Yoni said:
2. If I release a pebble from a given height here and there, which splash will be higher?
Seems pretty obvious to me that with lower gravity on Mars, the splash from a pebble would be higher there.

Yoni said:
Will I be able to beet my earthly current record in bouncing a pebble there?
I assume you mean "beat" and "skip", not "beet" and "bounce". Given that Mars has about 1/3 the gravity of Earth, I don't see how you could not beat the record but there are some complications. You'd have to be wearing a spacesuit so your throwing ability would be limited. THEN of course, there is the real killer which is that it is about a mile underground which is REALLY going to complicate rock skipping :smile:

I did mean "beat" and "skip", and I guess our pebbles here are flatter than yours... :)
In any case, while it is trivial that the distance would be longer, My first guess was that the mean number of skips would not depend on gravity (if all other factors are similar).
Regarding the height of a splash: Let's take it to the extreme. In very low gravity, surface tension completely governs the process. The rock would meet the water with very low velocity and the surface tension would pull it into the water, and I would presume make no splash at all.

Yoni said:
My first guess was that the mean number of skips would not depend on gravity (if all other factors are similar).
That's a good point. I had not looked at it that way, I was just thinking of the distance.

Related to Will gravity affect the splash of a pebble in the underground lake on Mars?

1. How is splash mechanics different on Mars compared to Earth?

On Earth, gravity plays a major role in determining the size and shape of splashes. On Mars, the gravity is only about 38% of Earth's, so the splashes will be much smaller and spread out.

2. Can liquid water form splashes on Mars?

Yes, liquid water can form splashes on Mars, but it is very rare due to the low atmospheric pressure and low temperatures. The majority of splashes on Mars are caused by other liquids, such as carbon dioxide.

3. How does the atmosphere affect splash mechanics on Mars?

The thin atmosphere on Mars plays a significant role in splash mechanics. With a lower atmospheric pressure, there is less resistance for the liquid to travel through, resulting in smaller and shorter splashes.

4. Are there any factors besides gravity and atmospheric pressure that affect splash mechanics on Mars?

Yes, the composition and temperature of the liquid also play a role in splash mechanics on Mars. For example, liquids with lower surface tension will create larger splashes compared to liquids with higher surface tension.

5. What is the potential impact of studying splash mechanics on Mars?

Studying splash mechanics on Mars can provide valuable insights into the planet's history and evolution. It can also help us understand the behavior of liquids in low gravity environments, which can be useful for future space missions and colonization efforts.