Will I be looked down on? (CS degree from Western Governor's University)

In summary, @KamenRiderTorbjorn believes that a CS degree from Western Governors University is a worthy accomplishment, regardless of where it is from, and that any experienced programmer would be able to see the value in it. He also believes that the school has a good reputation.
  • #1
KamenRiderTorbjorn
71
8
Lately I was considering getting a CS degree from Western Governors University. I was wondering how would employers treat me if I was to end up with a degree from there? How would other schools treat me if I decided to get a graduate degree someday?
 
  • Like
Likes atyy
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2
Are you worth anything? I guess yes.
Seriously, if you don't have confidence in your abilities why should anyone else. If you are learning stuff you want to know what is the down side? What are the alternatives? Choose from what you have available and work hard.
The degree itself is a very small part of the package in my limited experience. But really capable people do often have degrees from top colleges by the nature of things.
 
  • Like
Likes atyy and Vanadium 50
  • #3
hutchphd said:
Are you worth anything? I guess yes.
Seriously, if you don't have confidence in your abilities why should anyone else. If you are learning stuff you want to know what is the down side? What are the alternatives? Choose from what you have available and work hard.
The degree itself is a very small part of the package in my limited experience. But really capable people do often have degrees from top colleges by the nature of things.
I just simply wanted to know would having a CS degree from western governors will hurt my chances employment wise despite the fact that its a regionally accredited school?
 
  • Like
Likes atyy
  • #4
KamenRiderTorbjorn said:
I just simply wanted to know would having a CS degree from western governors will hurt my chances employment wise despite the fact that its a regionally accredited school?
As @hutchphd pointed out, a CS degree is not so important. Can you code? Can you understand the goals and the algorithms by which the goals are attained?

A CS degree from an accredited institution is a worthy achievement even if it's not from a top school. Employeers might look at the submission from the MIT or Cal Tech guy ahead of yours, but if you have what it takes to help the employer to prosper, then you are in demand.

If you have proficiency, that's far more important than where your degree is from ##-## if you know that you know your stuff, then you can be confident, and you'll be off and running ##\dots##
 
  • Like
Likes hutchphd
  • #5
I don't think so. My ex went the newest law school in the country, and everyone that went to Osgood Hall or UBC said nobody would hire them because it's a no name school. Yet many are finding jobs in Vancouver and Toronto law firms, as well as in the smaller towns where this is a shortage. Where someone went to school doesn't say a whole lot about that person.
 
  • Like
Likes atyy and hutchphd
  • #6
Fascinating topic. Here in Holland such a discussion would be unthinkable. Companies don't give that much about where you graduated, because all universities are good.

But then, Holland is small compared to the US.
 
  • Like
Likes atyy
  • #7
haushofer said:
Fascinating topic. Here in Holland such a discussion would be unthinkable. Companies don't give that much about where you graduated, because all universities are good.

But then, Holland is small compared to the US.
I think that @KamenRiderTorbjorn is concerned about it being an online university, albeit an accredited one ##-## it seems to me that the consensus here is that what you can do matters much more than where you got your credential from.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes atyy
  • #8
KamenRiderTorbjorn said:
Lately I was considering getting a CS degree from Western Governors University. I was wondering how would employers treat me if I was to end up with a degree from there? How would other schools treat me if I decided to get a graduate degree someday?
They'll treat you better than if you don't bother to go! The real question is what are the experiences of WGS graduates? That shouldn't be too hard to find out.
 
  • #9
What employment prospects did you have in mind after school?
 
  • #10
KamenRiderTorbjorn said:
I just simply wanted to know would having a CS degree from western governors will hurt my chances employment wise despite the fact that its a regionally accredited school?
Although I am phobic about all things Republican at this point in history, I believe that Mitch Daniels has done several good things. Prior to his assuming the presidency of Purdue U he helped found western governors, and I believe it has proved a success. So in addition to haranguing the OP about personal improvement, perhaps as a midwesterner I can assure him that western governors has a pretty good reputation and I would have no hesitancy in that regard.
 
  • #11
The time constant on the name of the school on your BS degree is pretty short with Comp Sci degrees. Computer geeks have more confidence than people in other fields in discerning what you can do in a new job from your work experience and track record of what you've done in current and past jobs.
 
  • Like
Likes StatGuy2000
  • #12
Dr. Courtney said:
The time constant on the name of the school on your BS degree is pretty short with Comp Sci degrees. Computer geeks have more confidence than people in other fields in discerning what you can do in a new job from your work experience and track record of what you've done in current and past jobs.
But that still leaves open the significance of the reputation and brand-name recognition of the school for a fresh grad with no work experience and no employment track record (which, as far as I can tell, will be the OP's scenario).
 

1. Will having a CS degree from Western Governor's University be viewed differently than a traditional university degree?

It ultimately depends on the perspective of the person or organization viewing your degree. Some may view it as a non-traditional and less reputable option, while others may see it as a practical and valuable choice. It is important to highlight your skills and accomplishments, rather than solely focusing on the institution where you obtained your degree.

2. Will employers value a CS degree from Western Governor's University less than a degree from a top-ranked university?

Employers may have preferences for graduates from certain universities, but ultimately, they value skills and experience more than the name of the institution. It is important to showcase your skills and knowledge through projects, internships, and other experiences, regardless of where you obtained your degree.

3. Is a CS degree from Western Governor's University considered equivalent to a traditional university degree?

Yes, a CS degree from Western Governor's University is considered equivalent to a traditional university degree. The curriculum and coursework are designed to meet the same standards as other accredited universities. Additionally, the program is recognized by industry leaders and has a high job placement rate.

4. Will I be at a disadvantage when competing for jobs with candidates who have degrees from traditional universities?

No, having a degree from Western Governor's University will not automatically put you at a disadvantage. Employers typically consider a variety of factors, such as skills, experience, and qualifications, when making hiring decisions. As long as you are able to showcase your abilities and accomplishments, you will be on an equal playing field with other candidates.

5. Are there any limitations to career opportunities with a CS degree from Western Governor's University?

No, there are no limitations to career opportunities with a CS degree from Western Governor's University. Graduates of the program have gone on to successful careers in various industries, including technology, finance, healthcare, and government. As long as you have the necessary skills and experience, your degree from Western Governor's University will not hinder your career growth.

Similar threads

  • STEM Academic Advising
Replies
11
Views
2K
  • STEM Career Guidance
Replies
1
Views
2K
  • STEM Career Guidance
Replies
30
Views
5K
  • STEM Career Guidance
3
Replies
92
Views
17K
  • STEM Career Guidance
Replies
3
Views
894
Replies
17
Views
3K
  • STEM Career Guidance
Replies
18
Views
2K
  • STEM Career Guidance
Replies
4
Views
577
  • STEM Career Guidance
Replies
10
Views
728
  • STEM Career Guidance
Replies
1
Views
1K
Back
Top