Will my research help me to get into grad school

In summary: They'll look at your research proposal and see if it's feasible and if it has potential to make a real difference in the field. Good luck.
physics_nomad
Hi Guys,

I have a BSc in physical sciences and an equivalent in mechanical engineering and I am going to apply to grad school for a masters in aerospace engineering.

Problem is, where I am from, aerospace engineering is like way off the map, Both the institutions I study do not offer it as a course. So no research at all.

But it is my idea to do a research on my own, I have a couple of my own ideas (basically to design ):D

There are some problems running through my mind whenever i think about this.Hope some of you guys can help me.

1) In a grad school application will it(my research) be accepted ?
I will have no adviser nor supervisor. Nevertheless I am going to do it as good as i can.

2)I would like to get the feel of the standard of undergrad research in US colleges. was looking everywhere even AIAA people can't help me on that one. :D

3) What is the opinion on AIAA DBF in grad schools ? I see a whole load of top universities competing, but will grad school selection consider it as something worth to consider? When i asked one AIAA fellow his answer was not that convincing, that's why.

4) I am a not a US citizen, will it be possible to get an internship in a commercial aircraft manufacturer ? To get that what do you suggest that I shall do?

Thanks in advance to everyone

Nomad

Physics news on Phys.org
To put it bluntly, forget it. Not being a US citizen will give you practically zero chance. I've been trying to get into that field for years with no luck. It's so damm competitive. I have a degree in mechanical and aerospace engineering and a Masters in Mechanical for which my thesis was aerospace related.

In Australia, Aerospace is considered a subgroup of mechanical. So there are no Aerospace Masters. So I can't help you with that, but your research topic has to be relevant and with a clear goal. Grad schools won't give a flying hoot about AIAA membership.

Hi Nomad,

Congratulations on your decision to pursue a masters in aerospace engineering! It's great that you have your own research ideas and are willing to put in the effort to pursue them.

To answer your questions:

1) In a grad school application, your research will definitely be considered, regardless of whether you have an adviser or supervisor. However, it is always helpful to have someone to guide you and provide feedback on your research. If possible, try to find a mentor or someone in the field who can offer advice and support.

2) The standard of undergraduate research in US colleges varies, but generally it is a valuable experience that can help you stand out in your grad school application. It shows that you have hands-on experience and are able to conduct independent research. You can try reaching out to professors or students at US colleges to learn more about their research projects and experiences.

3) AIAA DBF is definitely worth considering in grad school selection. It shows that you have practical experience in designing and building aircraft, which is highly relevant to the aerospace engineering field. It may not be the only factor in grad school selection, but it can definitely make you stand out among other applicants.

4) As a non-US citizen, it may be more challenging to secure an internship at a commercial aircraft manufacturer. However, it is not impossible. You can try networking with professionals in the industry, attending job fairs, and applying to internships through the company's website or job postings. It may also be helpful to highlight your research and hands-on experience in your application.

Overall, your research experience and involvement in AIAA DBF can definitely strengthen your grad school application and make you a competitive candidate. Keep pursuing your interests and don't be afraid to reach out for guidance and support. Best of luck in your grad school journey!

1. What type of research experience will help me stand out in grad school applications?

Graduate schools value research experience in any field, but particularly in the field you plan to pursue in graduate school. Research experience can include work in a lab, independent research projects, or research conducted as part of a course. Additionally, research experience that has resulted in a publication or presentation at a conference can greatly strengthen your application.

2. How can I use my research to showcase my skills and potential as a graduate student?

When applying to grad school, it is important to highlight the skills you have gained through your research experience. These skills may include critical thinking, problem-solving, data analysis, and written and oral communication. You can also use your research experience to demonstrate your potential for success in a graduate program, as it shows your ability to conduct independent research and contribute to your field of study.

3. Will conducting research in a different field than my intended graduate program still be beneficial?

Research experience in a different field can still be valuable when applying to graduate school. It can demonstrate your ability to adapt to different research environments and may highlight transferrable skills that can be applied to your chosen field of study. Additionally, it can show your curiosity and breadth of knowledge, which can be attractive to graduate programs.

4. How can I find research opportunities to enhance my grad school application?

There are several ways to find research opportunities that can enhance your grad school application. You can reach out to professors at your current institution and express your interest in their research. You can also search for research internships or assistantships at other universities or research institutions. Additionally, you can volunteer for research projects or seek out independent research opportunities through courses or programs offered at your institution.

5. Can I still get into grad school if I don't have any research experience?

While research experience can greatly strengthen your grad school application, it is not always a requirement for admission. If you do not have research experience, you can highlight other experiences that demonstrate your skills and potential as a graduate student, such as internships, coursework, or extracurricular activities. It is also important to showcase your passion and dedication to your field of study through your personal statement and letters of recommendation.