Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Aerospace Will my research help me to get into grad school

1. Aug 29, 2012 #1
    Hi Guys,

I have a BSc in physical sciences and an equivalent in mechanical engineering and I am going to apply to grad school for a masters in aerospace engineering.

Problem is, where I am from, aerospace engineering is like way off the map, Both the institutions I study do not offer it as a course. So no research at all.

But it is my idea to do a research on my own, I have a couple of my own ideas (basically to design ):D

There are some problems running through my mind whenever i think about this.Hope some of you guys can help me.

1) In a grad school application will it(my research) be accepted ?
    I will have no adviser nor supervisor. Nevertheless I am gonna do it as good as i can.

2)I would like to get the feel of the standard of undergrad research in US colleges. was looking everywhere even AIAA people cant help me on that one. :D

3) What is the opinion on AIAA DBF in grad schools ? I see a whole load of top universities competing, but will grad school selection consider it as something worth to consider? When i asked one AIAA fellow his answer was not that convincing, thats why.

4) I am a not a US citizen, will it be possible to get an internship in a commercial aircraft manufacturer ? To get that what do you suggest that I shall do?

Thanks in advance to everyone

Nomad

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2012 #2
    To put it bluntly, forget it. Not being a US citizen will give you practically zero chance. I've been trying to get into that field for years with no luck. It's so damm competitive. I have a degree in mechanical and aerospace engineering and a Masters in Mechanical for which my thesis was aerospace related.

In Australia, Aerospace is considered a subgroup of mechanical. So there are no Aerospace Masters. So I can't help you with that, but your research topic has to be relevant and with a clear goal. Grad schools won't give a flying hoot about AIAA membership.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook