Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Will my special siphon work please?

1. Sep 27, 2016 #1
    Please look at this drawing of my idea, and tell me if you think it would work.
    The compressed air chamber on the left keeps this system un-balanced, and water is continually forced up the tube, and into the right hand chamber.

pressure%20siphon.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2016 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Sure, it will be forced up the tube -- but also since the pressure on the bottom of the tank on the left is higher than on the bottom of the tank on the right, it will also flow from left to right, filling up the tank on the right directly. So what's the point here: is this an attempt at a perpetual motion machine? FYI, we don't allow that here...

4. Sep 27, 2016 #3
    I think that at equilibrium the level in the tube should be the same as the level in the right tank.
    Any reason for it to go higher?

5. Sep 27, 2016 #4
    OK, I see what you mean...I cave.

6. Sep 27, 2016 #5

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Since it looks like we'really done and I didn't get an answer to my question (so I assume the answer is yes), thread locked.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook