Will past personal issues affect Obama's 2012 campaign?

• News
  • Thread starter WhoWee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Strategy
In summary: LA Times.In summary, White House press Secretary Robert Gibbs is stepping down. This signals the start of campaign 2012. Gibbs has been with the President since 2004 and has been an effective advocate.
WhoWee said:
Can you imagine if President Obama proposed to sell all of the non-defense assets of the US - to continue deficit spending?
You have things a bit skewed. Congress passes spending bills and appropriates the money. If you want to blame all the spending on Obama, you have some 'splainin' to do, Lucy. :devil: We were running deficits and spending off-budget long before Obama took office.

Physics news on Phys.org
turbo-1 said:
You have things a bit skewed. Congress passes spending bills and appropriates the money. If you want to blame all the spending on Obama, you have some 'splainin' to do, Lucy. :devil:

Fair enough - although one wonders why Congress couldn't pass a budget when they had a majority in both houses and the presidency.

Does this mean that you will stop blaming Mr. Bush for the budgets passed when he was in the White House?

Vanadium 50 said:
Does this mean that you will stop blaming Mr. Bush for the budgets passed when he was in the White House?
I can't stop blaming the Democrats in Congress for rolling over and playing dead when Bush/Cheney lied us into an unnecessary war, then started another in that quagmire Afghanistan and let them keep the costs off-budget. There's more than enough blame to go around on those counts, and neither party can claim the high ground, IMO.

turbo-1 said:
You have things a bit skewed. Congress passes spending bills and appropriates the money. If you want to blame all the spending on Obama, you have some 'splainin' to do, Lucy. :devil: We were running deficits and spending off-budget long before Obama took office.

Actually turbo - I agree. You are correct - all President Obama did was sign every Democrat sponsored spending Bill the real leaders (Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid) put on his desk - is it a cumulative $5Trillion and counting?

President Obama - what IS your energy policy?
http://www.newsmax.com/InsideCover/...l/2011/07/02/id/402295?s=al&promo_code=C8BF-1

"The Obama administration is foot-dragging on approving a pipeline to deliver abundant Canadian oil to the United States at the same time the Chinese are investing in a pipeline that could send that oil to China."

Did anyone else notice the price of gas jumped about $.25 per gallon again - just paid $3.69 for 87 - hope just our annual 4th of July gouging (IMO).

WhoWee said:
Did anyone else notice the price of gas jumped about $.25 per gallon again - just paid $3.69 for 87 - hope just our annual 4th of July gouging (IMO).

You lucky bastard. I wish that was an unusual occurrence for me.

WhoWee said:
President Obama - what IS your energy policy?
http://www.newsmax.com/InsideCover/...l/2011/07/02/id/402295?s=al&promo_code=C8BF-1

"The Obama administration is foot-dragging on approving a pipeline to deliver abundant Canadian oil to the United States at the same time the Chinese are investing in a pipeline that could send that oil to China."

From 2009

... What we know is that oil sands creates a big carbon footprint. So the dilemma that Canada faces, the United States faces, and China and the entire world faces is how do we obtain the energy that we need to grow our economies in a way that is not rapidly accelerating climate change," Obama told the Canadian Broadcasting Corp. on Tuesday.

Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper has said energy security and the environmental impact of massive oil sands operations in Alberta province will be priorities during his meeting with Obama. Harper is expected to lobby Obama on the merits of the oil sands as a safe and secure source of oil.

But critics say the growing operations by major oil companies will increase greenhouse gas emissions and threaten Alberta's rivers and forests. Experts say producing a barrel of oil from sand results in emissions three times greater than a conventional barrel of oil...
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29258276/ns/us_news-environment/t/obamas-sticky-issue-canada-oil-sands/

Maybe he would prefer to focus on creating jobs for Americans by keeping to domestic supplies of relatively clean natural gas. Perhaps he is looking forwards, rather than backwards. We don't need to end just our reliance on oil from the ME or unfriendly nations, we need to stop importing oil. Transitioning to a domestic energy supply will eliminate about [over] half of the trade deficit.

3/30/11
...In a speech at Georgetown University on Wednesday, Mr. Obama also promised to work with Congress to provide new incentives to increase natural gas consumption in both the transportation and power sectors. That is good news for North American gas producers who face depressed prices due to a glut of production from prolific new shale gas plays...
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/industry-news/energy-and-resources/obama-signals-new-reliance-on-oil-sands/article1963575/

Ivan Seeking said:
From 2009

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29258276/ns/us_news-environment/t/obamas-sticky-issue-canada-oil-sands/

Maybe he would prefer to focus on creating jobs for Americans by keeping to domestic supplies of relatively clean natural gas. Perhaps he is looking forwards, rather than backwards. We don't need to end just our reliance on oil from the ME or unfriendly nations, we need to stop importing oil. Transitioning to a domestic energy supply will eliminate about [over] half of the trade deficit.

3/30/11

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/industry-news/energy-and-resources/obama-signals-new-reliance-on-oil-sands/article1963575/

Perhaps his policy will be clear by 2012?

According to the Labor Department, there were 14,825,000 unemployed persons in 2010 - roughly a 9.6% rate.

http://www.bls.gov/cps/

If the President were to give each of these people a Government job that pays enough to generate $100,000 each in federal taxes - he can solve both unemployment and the national debt of $14Trillion - talk about a strong 2012 strategy.:uhh:

Of course he'll have to find the money for payroll somewhere - how about an Immigration tax?:rofl: Sorry - just having fun.:redface:

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a dangerous game - IMO.
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20078789-503544.html

"President Obama on Tuesday said he cannot guarantee that retirees will receive their Social Security checks August 3 if Democrats and Republicans in Washington do not reach an agreement on reducing the deficit in the coming weeks.

"I cannot guarantee that those checks go out on August 3rd if we haven't resolved this issue. Because there may simply not be the money in the coffers to do it," Mr. Obama said in an interview with CBS Evening News anchor Scott Pelley, according to excerpts released by CBS News.

The Obama administration and many economists have warned of economic catastrophe if the United States does not raise the amount it is legally allowed to borrow by August 2."

I asked a few pension-recipients what they thought today - they said the Government better stop spending their money (label IMO).

Harry Reid just called Eric Cantor's behavior childish?:rofl:

President Obama says the debt issue could end his career - I agree.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/07/13/moodys-considers-downgrading-us-credit-rating-amid-stalemate-over-debt-limit/?icid=maing-grid7|main5|dl1|sec1_lnk2|77741

President Obama walked out of high-level negotiations Wednesday, saying according to a Republican aide, "I've reached my limit. This may bring my presidency down, but I won't yield on this."

Obama "stormed out of the room" but promised to resume talks Thursday, the GOP aide said.
"We are very far apart right now," House Majority Leader Eric Cantor said, calling Obama's exit from the talks Wednesday "abrupt."
"He became very agitated, said 'Ronald Reagan wouldn't sit here. You either have to compromise on the dollar figure or the grand bargain,'" Cantor said. "He said, 'Don't call my bluff. I'm going to the American people on this.'" "

my bold
Great - another speech by the President. Maybe he should just re-read this one:
http://geekpolitics.com/obama-on-raising-the-debt-ceiling/
"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies.

Over the past 5 years, our federal debt has increased by $3.5 trillion to $8.6 trillion.That is “trillion” with a “T.” That is money that we have borrowed from the Social Security trust fund, borrowed from China and Japan, borrowed from American taxpayers. And over the next 5 years, between now and 2011, the President’s budget will increase the debt by almost another $3.5 trillion."

It's my favorite (2nd time I posted it). Then Senator Obama speculated the national debt would reach $12Trillion (with a "T") by 2011 - now he's driven it to $14Trillion (with a "T") in the same time frame?

I agree - this is a clear sign of leadership failure Mr. President - you should be replaced.

Last edited by a moderator:
WhoWee said:
I asked a few pension-recipients what they thought today - they said the Government better stop spending their money (label IMO).
Soon you'll be able to respond that this (pensions and pensioners medical care) is *all* the government spends their money on, that and the debt service.

How might an aggressive Iran influence the President's strategy for troop withdrawal leading up to the election?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-14189313
"Iranian forces have inflicted a "heavy and historic defeat" on Kurdish rebels based in Iraq, army officials say."

President Obama made a prime time speech on 7/25/11 regarding the national debt and need to increase the debt ceiling - followed by a response by Speaker of the House John Boehner.

After failing to reach a deal with the Speaker in the previous week, I'm not the only one who noticed he didn't threaten to VETO the Bill that comes out of Congress - now that Boehner and Senate leader Harry Reid are negotiating.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/exclusi...er-debt-crisis-obama-stays-mum-043411132.html

"Washington may have become, as President Obama said on Monday, a place where "compromise has become a dirty word," but in the context of the menacing debt-limit crisis there was a far dirtier word he didn't utter.
Veto."

IMO - The Speaker missed an opportunity - should have looked into the camera, lowered his voice , and explained that Congress has no intention of allowing default - that a Bill will be placed on the President's desk in time to avoid default - and if the President Veto's the Bill - the financial collapse of the US Government will be the fault of President Obama.

Btw - while the President didn't say "veto" - he did use the word "balance" about 7 times - pollsters must have made a recommendation?

WhoWee said:
President Obama made a prime time speech on 7/25/11 regarding the national debt and need to increase the debt ceiling - followed by a response by Speaker of the House John Boehner.

After failing to reach a deal with the Speaker in the previous week, I'm not the only one who noticed he didn't threaten to VETO the Bill that comes out of Congress - now that Boehner and Senate leader Harry Reid are negotiating.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/exclusi...er-debt-crisis-obama-stays-mum-043411132.html

"Washington may have become, as President Obama said on Monday, a place where "compromise has become a dirty word," but in the context of the menacing debt-limit crisis there was a far dirtier word he didn't utter.
Veto."

IMO - The Speaker missed an opportunity - should have looked into the camera, lowered his voice , and explained that Congress has no intention of allowing default - that a Bill will be placed on the President's desk in time to avoid default - and if the President Veto's the Bill - the financial collapse of the US Government will be the fault of President Obama.

Btw - while the President didn't say "veto" - he did use the word "balance" about 7 times - pollsters must have made a recommendation?

"Compromise from thee, but not from me!"

WhoWee said:

Veto."

Or maybe he has no plans to veto the bill. Obama knows, I think, what's political suicide, and I think he'll avoid it.

WhoWee said:

Char. Limit said:
Or maybe he has no plans to veto the bill. Obama knows, I think, what's political suicide, and I think he'll avoid it.

Or maybe he knows there's almost no chance of a bill being placed on his desk for him to veto. I don't think Boehner's close to a point where he could deliver on a promise to place a bill on the President's desk. Even if he gets a bill House Republicans could support, it will get gutted in the Senate - and then back to the House - and then back to the Senate, etc.

You've got a problem in the House. It's almost turned into a three party legislative body with no party having a majority.

Char. Limit said:

Leaders lead - we don't need any more scare tactics or bluffs.

WhoWee said:
Leaders lead - we don't need any more scare tactics or bluffs.

Then you should be glad that Obama isn't threatening to veto - that's both a scare tactic and a bluff.

BobG said:
Or maybe he knows there's almost no chance of a bill being placed on his desk for him to veto. I don't think Boehner's close to a point where he could deliver on a promise to place a bill on the President's desk. Even if he gets a bill House Republicans could support, it will get gutted in the Senate - and then back to the House - and then back to the Senate, etc.

You've got a problem in the House. It's almost turned into a three party legislative body with no party having a majority.

Thus far, the House is the only body that has actually passed anything? As for the Senate - Harry Reid will find a way to work with the Republicans - he doesn't want default laid at his feet. On the other hand, if he blocks all Republican legislation - he could set President Obama up for an end run with the 14th - couldn't he?:wink:

IMO - the President knows that might just move the House to start Impeachment proceedings - my money is on Harry Reid finding a way to agree and the President signing (and trying to take credit).

BobG said:

Isn't this something that people have been asking for, for years? Another major political party? :p

mege said:
Isn't this something that people have been asking for, for years? Another major political party? :p

Except the third party isn't major, and won't compromise. Really, they're just playing the role of spoiler.

mege said:

We'd like a major political party that knows the meaning of "you can't always get what you want".

Char. Limit said:
We'd like a major political party that knows the meaning of "you can't always get what you want".

Maybe they're thinking that if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need

daveb said:
Maybe they're thinking that if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need

You win an internets!

Step aside!

Make way for EVO! :biggrin:

I think this is an interesting time for Obama.

Just looking at recent Presidents, their term usually had some key moment that defined their Presidency.

In Reagan's case, he was a very good President, but had great leadership qualities that gave enough room and flexibility so that his key moments only affected his thinking - it didn't affect how his Presidency was defined.

In Bush 41's case, he was a very good President, with less leadership qualities and his defining moment came at a very bad time - in the middle of his re-election campaign. So he didn't really have a defining moment - just a moment that ended his Presidency. Even good Presidents can be undone if they don't have the whole package.

In Clinton and Bush 43's case, neither were very good Presidents when they took office.

Within a year, Clinton's Presidency was dead in the water. And then he became better. Overall, he wound up probably slightly above average if you just look at his Presidential accomplishments and not at his 'personal' accomplishments.

Bush 43 had a lot of momentum from the post-911 reaction, so he just ignored his key moments. His Presidency just got worse and worse. Eventually, he started to become better, but by that time it was way too late and way too little and we saw the results of that in the 2006 and the 2008 elections.

I think it has to be said that the worries of putting someone with as little experience as Obama were justified. He wasn't a very good President when he came into office. He proves Bush 43 was no fluke.

So far, his reaction to his first key moment (the economic crisis he inherited from Bush) was very similar to Bush's. His attitude is that a great President doesn't let external events derail him from accomplishing the things he set out to do. In Obama's case, that attitude is a little more justified because it's an economic crisis. Presidents just don't make or break an economic recovery, while Bush applied his attitude to issues he really did control. Obama put out an economic stimulus plan that had some things in it to stimulate the economy - but most of it promoted his plans to reform health care. That's a good Presidential move if the economy recovers. It looks like the plan helped the economy, but more importantly, it advanced his goals for his Presidency. But if the economy doesn't improve, then it looks as blindly oblivious and as arrogant as Bush's responses to his key moments were.

We'll see what happens with this key moment - the debt ceiling increase. Obama really hasn't had any adequate response to this and I think it puts him in the same situation Clinton was in his first term. Either Obama turns the corner and gets better very quickly, or he "stays the course" no matter how far down it drags him, or he just wallows the way Jimmy Carter wallowed, with the events of his time just pushing him about.

Or House Republicans bail him out of this crisis by looking even worse than him - but I don't think that's the same as making Obama look good. I think he needs to make some serious adjustments regardless of what Republicans do with this.

BobG said:
We'll see what happens with this key moment - the debt ceiling increase. Obama really hasn't had any adequate response to this and I think it puts him in the same situation Clinton was in his first term. Either Obama turns the corner and gets better very quickly, or he "stays the course" no matter how far down it drags him, or he just wallows the way Jimmy Carter wallowed, with the events of his time just pushing him about.

Or House Republicans bail him out of this crisis by looking even worse than him - but I don't think that's the same as making Obama look good. I think he needs to make some serious adjustments regardless of what Republicans do with this.

I think the key item is the length of the extension - extending beyond the election is a big win for the President - a six month extension will hurt his re-election efforts.

I watched Laura Ingraham, a Conservative, last evening - guest host on the "Factor". She cited several Conservatives and a few Tea Party Reps that want to take a deal while they are ahead. Her comment (to the Tea Party House members) was to take the win and go back home to explain the results. She specified by electing the small group progress was possible - if voters want bigger change - elect more Conservatives. That approach could help redeem the Republicans - but not necessarily hurt the President.

WhoWee said:
I watched Laura Ingraham, a Conservative, last evening - guest host on the "Factor". She cited several Conservatives and a few Tea Party Reps that want to take a deal while they are ahead. Her comment (to the Tea Party House members) was to take the win and go back home to explain the results. She specified by electing the small group progress was possible - if voters want bigger change - elect more Conservatives. That approach could help redeem the Republicans - but not necessarily hurt the President.

Wow! I haven't actually listened to Laura Ingraham in years, so I don't know what her position has been lately, but if my general impression of her is still correct, wouldn't you think the Tea Party folks would at least have a clue they might be overplaying their hand just a bit?

BobG said:
Wow! I haven't actually listened to Laura Ingraham in years, so I don't know what her position has been lately, but if my general impression of her is still correct, wouldn't you think the Tea Party folks would at least have a clue they might be overplaying their hand just a bit?

The Republicans have clearly mismanaged their momentum after the 2010 election. Hopefully the freshman House members will step back and look at the bigger picture.

WhoWee said:
The Republicans have clearly mismanaged their momentum after the 2010 election. Hopefully the freshman House members will step back and look at the bigger picture.

I agree with this to a certain extent. The perception of mismanagement is being exploited by the Democrats (and the President) whom are putting them in positions specifically to fail politically. While many of the TEA Party members have great ideas and heart, they're bad politicians.

mege said:
I agree with this to a certain extent. The perception of mismanagement is being exploited by the Democrats (and the President) whom are putting them in positions specifically to fail politically. While many of the TEA Party members have great ideas and heart, they're bad politicians.

I think it's better to say that they're NOT politicians, which ironically enough is the exact reason they got elected in the first place.

Char. Limit said:
I think it's better to say that they're NOT politicians, which ironically enough is the exact reason they got elected in the first place.

I think it's a good thing - to send people who are not career politicians. However, there is a learning curve and voters must also understand gradual change is still change.

WhoWee said:
I think it's a good thing - to send people who are not career politicians. However, there is a learning curve and voters must also understand gradual change is still change.

How is that a good thing? You want amateurs to plan the US government's economy?

Do you go to someone who's not a career stock broker for your investment advice?

Part of the rationale of a representative democracy is that you elect someone with expertise to devote all of their time to running the government instead of something like a direct democracy where you'd have to vote on these individual bills and you'd have to find the time to research all of these issues in your spare time.

Aside from that, how do you know that they're not career politicians. Every Congressman had to start somewhere with no experience. If they were good enough to get re-elected, then they became career politicians. If they weren't, they had to give up politics and go into some other career.

In other words, you don't know whether they're career politicians until they've had a chance to show how competent or incompetent they were. Non-career politician is just one that was really bad at his job.

Being a freshman Congressman is no sin. But, usually, a freshman Congressman tries to learn the ropes before deciding they're qualified to take control of Congress.