Window fan: Bypassing thermostat with a button

DaveC426913
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Bought this cheap window fan. Want to bypass the thermostat with an on/off button.
I bought this window fan for my work shed. Installed it on a nice, mild day. Next day fan wouldn't work. Almost took it back to the store before realizing the day was much colder. The fan is on a thermostat - one that's probably set for summer, not winter.

So, I want to be able to operate it in near-freezing temps. Rather than ripping out a perfectly good thermostat function, I'd like to just press a button to bypass it.

1703536030111.jpeg

Plaque on back says it draws 120V and .7A. It has 2 independently-controlled fans, each with 0-1-2-3 settings. (Hopefully, the .7A is at max output). Thera are very small, low speed plastic fans.Here is the thermostat. It appears to be first in line in the circuit (or last. I haven't checked which side is hot yet). Before opening it up, I'd assumed the thermostat would be on a very low voltage part of the circuit, merely controlling a solenoid or something, but it turns out it's directly in the power circuit, and therefore I will need a 120v jumper and switch.
1703536582402.png

I don't know if there is a way to adjust the stat, not that I saw. That would solve my problem real quick.

I am thinking of putting in an on/off push button or toggle that will short circuit the thermostat if I want to the fan to be on at any temperature.

(The fan runs off the work shed power bar, so it will only be on when I am in there with the power on.)You guys always seem to come up with solutions I hadn't thought of.

Engineering news on Phys.org
  • Haha
Likes sophiecentaur, DaveE, Lnewqban and 1 other person
I suggest using either a toggle switch or a slide switch, they tend to be a little more reliable than the commonly available alternate-action (latching) pushbuttons.

Cheers,
Tom

Likes sophiecentaur and DaveC426913

1. What does it mean to bypass the thermostat on a window fan with a button?

Bypassing the thermostat on a window fan with a button means overriding the fan's automatic temperature control feature. This allows the fan to run continuously, regardless of the room temperature, until you decide to turn it off or reactivate the thermostat.

2. Why would someone want to bypass the thermostat on a window fan?

People often choose to bypass the thermostat for continuous airflow. This can be useful for quickly ventilating a room, removing odors, or generating consistent air circulation without the fan turning off when the desired temperature is reached.

3. Is it safe to bypass the thermostat on a window fan?

While bypassing the thermostat is generally safe, it should be done correctly to avoid potential damage to the fan. Continuous operation can also lead to increased wear and tear, so it's important to monitor the fan's performance and condition regularly.

4. How can I bypass the thermostat on my window fan using a button?

To bypass the thermostat on a window fan using a button, you typically need to press and hold a specific button or combination of buttons as outlined in the fan's manual. Some fans are equipped with a dedicated 'bypass' or 'hold' button for this purpose.

5. What should I do if my fan doesn't have a bypass button?

If your fan doesn't have a bypass button, it may not be designed for thermostat bypass. However, you can still achieve continuous operation by setting the thermostat to a lower temperature than the current room temperature, ensuring the fan runs continuously. Always refer to the manufacturer's instructions to avoid any misuse or damage.