Window Washer w/ Bucket-Pulley Apparatus

• Thread starter hawkeye1029
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Window
In summary, A person with a mass of 65 kg plus a bucket is pulling herself upward using a bucket-pulley apparatus. To raise herself at a constant speed, she needs to pull downward with a force equal to the gravitational force acting on her. If she increases this force by 10%, her acceleration will also increase by 10%. When drawing a free body diagram, it is important to consider all external forces acting on the system, including the equal and opposite tension forces along the rope. The tension force is the same all along the rope.
hawkeye1029

Homework Statement

A window washer pulls herself upward using the bucket-pulley apparatus shown in the figure. The mass of the person plus the bucket is 65 kg.
a) How hard must she pull downward to raise herself slowly at constant speed?
b) If she increases this force by 10%, what will her acceleration be?

Homework Equations

F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

This is where I got confused. I tried to get help from other websites, but their free-body diagrams had forces like normal force on the end the person was pulling on.
Would the force she needs to pull down on simply the gravitational force acting on her? Or would it be something else!
Thanks everyone :).

Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind about other websites, draw you own FBD.
First, decide whether you want to treat the person and the bucket as separate objects or one.
List the forces acting on each object, and their directions. Assign symbols to unknown forces as necessary.

Sorry for the late reply, I was away.
So would the FBD look something like this? (attached below) Or am I missing some forces?

Attachments

• WasherWoman FBD.docx
    44.2 KB · Views: 312
Is there also a tension force on the left side?

hawkeye1029 said:
Sorry for the late reply, I was away.
So would the FBD look something like this? (attached below) Or am I missing some forces?
My only access is via iPad, and .docx pictures don't display properly.
You mention "pulling force". How is this different from tension?

I'm probably wrong, but tension force is upwards while the "pulling force" is downwards?

hawkeye1029 said:
I'm probably wrong, but tension force is upwards while the "pulling force" is downwards?
Tension is not so much a force as a pair of equal and opposite forces. (Likewise compression.) If you pull on a rope, the rope pulls on you equally. At any point along the rope, if we consider the lengths of rope each side of that point as separate bodies, each pulls on the other - that is tension.

In drawing a free body diagram for a body, you consider all the forces acting on that body. If the body is a person pulling on a rope, there is the force the rope exerts on the person, but not the force the person exerts on the rope - that force is acting on the rope, not on the person.

Likes hawkeye1029
Ah, so the "pulling force" is actually the tension?

hawkeye1029 said:
Ah, so the "pulling force" is actually the tension?
Yes.

Are the two tensions the same? In other words would the tension equal the gravitational force on the window washer?

hawkeye1029 said:
Are the two tensions the same? In other words would the tension equal the gravitational force on the window washer?
Those are two different questions.
Let the tension have magnitude T. List the external forces acting on the washer+bucket system.

Um tension and gravitational force? Or is there something else.

hawkeye1029 said:
Um tension and gravitational force? Or is there something else.
The washer is holding one end of the rope. Where is the other end?

Attached to the washer+bucket side I think.

(Also sorry if I'm being really slow and frustrating, I haven't learned much physics yet)

hawkeye1029 said:
Attached to the washer+bucket side I think.
right. So what force does that exert on the washer+bucket system?

...tension...? not so sure

hawkeye1029 said:
...tension...? not so sure
Is the tension the same all along the rope?

I think it's the same :confused: correct me if I'm wrong

hawkeye1029 said:
I think it's the same :confused: correct me if I'm wrong
Yes, it's the same. If the tension is T, what is the total of the upward forces on washer+bucket?

1. How does the bucket-pulley apparatus work?

The bucket-pulley apparatus consists of a bucket attached to a pulley system. The rope or cable of the pulley is attached to a window washer's harness. The window washer pulls on the rope to lift the bucket up to the desired height, fills it with water and cleaning solution, and then uses the rope to lower the bucket down to the window. This allows the window washer to easily access higher windows without having to constantly climb up and down a ladder.

2. What are the benefits of using a bucket-pulley apparatus?

Using a bucket-pulley apparatus can significantly increase the efficiency and safety of window washing. It eliminates the need for a ladder, reducing the risk of falls and injuries. It also allows the window washer to easily carry all necessary equipment in one trip, saving time and effort.

3. Is the bucket-pulley apparatus suitable for all types of windows?

The bucket-pulley apparatus is suitable for most types of windows, including those that are difficult to reach or have limited access. However, it may not be suitable for very small or narrow windows, as the bucket may not fit or the pulley system may not be able to reach.

4. What materials are needed to construct a bucket-pulley apparatus?

To construct a bucket-pulley apparatus, you will need a bucket, a pulley, a rope or cable, and a sturdy harness. It is important to ensure that all materials are strong enough to support the weight of the bucket when filled with water and cleaning solution. Additionally, make sure to follow proper safety guidelines when constructing and using the apparatus.

5. Can the bucket-pulley apparatus be used for other purposes besides window washing?

While the bucket-pulley apparatus is primarily designed for window washing, it can also be used for other tasks that require lifting and carrying heavy items to an elevated location. However, it is important to note that the weight limit of the apparatus should always be considered to prevent accidents or damage to the equipment.