Why Are My Calculations for the Window Washer's Pulley System Incorrect?

• Thread starter VVV
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pulley
In summary, a window washer with a mass of 70 kg is using a bucket-pulley apparatus to pull herself upward. In part (a) of the question, the washer needs to pull with a force of 686.7 N to raise herself slowly at constant speed. In part (b), if the force is increased by 8%, the acceleration will be 10.59 m/s^2. The relationship between the force applied and the tension in the rope is important, as well as considering that the force is split on either side of the pulley. For part (b), the force of gravity and the force from the ropes are the only factors to consider in the net force.
VVV
A window washer pulls herself upward using the bucket-pulley apparatus shown in Fig. 4-48.(heres the pic. http://img126.imageshack.us/i/physics.jpg/) The mass of the person plus the bucket is 70 kg.
(a) How hard must she pull downward to raise herself slowly at constant speed?
(b) If she increases this force by 8%, what will her acceleration be?
For some reason i got wrong answers 686.7 N and 10.59 m/s^2, Why?

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't just give your answers--show how you got them.

Hint: What's the relationship between how hard she pulls on the rope and the tension in the rope? How many times does the rope pull up on the "person+bucket" system?

Hi! I am actually working on a question that is pretty much identical, with different number for weight and % of increase. I was able to get part A.. F=m*a, but then you divide the answer by 2, because the force is split on either side of the pulley. I'm having trouble with B though. I tried to sub in the new force (answer+10.1%... or whatever % was in your question) and solve for acceleration using the same formula F=ma, but I'm still not getting the right answer. Please help!

PHYCCHICK said:
I'm having trouble with B though. I tried to sub in the new force (answer+10.1%... or whatever % was in your question) and solve for acceleration using the same formula F=ma, but I'm still not getting the right answer. Please help!
Don't forget that F stands for the net force and that gravity doesn't change.

I'm confused? If the acceleration remains the same (9.8) then how do I solve for a? And what other forces would be included in the net force?

PHYCCHICK said:
If the acceleration remains the same (9.8) then how do I solve for a?
The force of gravity--the weight--remains the same, not the acceleration!
And what other forces would be included in the net force?
Just the weight and the force from the ropes.

Related to Why Are My Calculations for the Window Washer's Pulley System Incorrect?

What is a bucket pulley?

A bucket pulley is a simple machine that is used to lift heavy objects. It is made up of a rope or cable wrapped around a wheel or pulley, with one end attached to a fixed point and the other end attached to the object being lifted.

What is the purpose of a bucket pulley?

The purpose of a bucket pulley is to make it easier to lift heavy objects by reducing the amount of force needed. By using a pulley, the weight of the object is distributed over multiple ropes, making it easier to lift.

What are some common problems with bucket pulleys?

Some common problems with bucket pulleys include frayed ropes, misaligned pulleys, and worn out bearings. These issues can affect the efficiency and safety of the pulley system.

How can I fix a problem with my bucket pulley?

The solution to fixing a problem with a bucket pulley will depend on the specific issue. For example, if the rope is frayed, it should be replaced. If the pulley is misaligned, it can be adjusted or replaced. It is important to regularly inspect and maintain the pulley system to avoid potential problems.

What are some safety precautions to take when using a bucket pulley?

When using a bucket pulley, it is important to make sure that the pulley is securely attached to a stable structure and that the ropes are in good condition. It is also important to use proper lifting techniques and to avoid overloading the pulley system. Additionally, wearing appropriate safety gear such as gloves and eye protection can help prevent accidents or injuries.