How Does a Window Washer Adjust Force to Ascend at a Constant Speed?

In summary, the window washer has to pull down with a force equal to the weight of the person plus the bucket in order to raise herself slowly at constant speed.
rwx1606

Homework Statement

A window washer pulls herself up using a pulley-bucket apparatus. How hard must she pull downward to raise herself slowly at constant speed? The mass of the person plus the bucket is 75 kg.

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Is the force she has to pull downward not equal to the weight? I get (9.8)(75)=735N. It says use two sig figs and I've tried both 7.4x10^2 and 7.3x10^2 N. I hate mastering physics!

Physics news on Phys.org
If she's using pulleys, then the force is NOT necessarily equal to the weight. That's the whole point to using pulleys. You'd better describe the pulley system.

looks like this http://answerboard.cramster.com/physics-topic-5-139868-0.aspx

Last edited by a moderator:
Obviously the ropes must exert a total force on "washer + bucket" that equals its weight. Hint: How many times does the rope pull on "washer + bucket"?

hmm so the ropes each carry half the weight. So 735N/2?

rwx1606 said:
hmm so the ropes each carry half the weight. So 735N/2?
Yep. (Fix that typo.)

She only pulls on one rope, so she just needs to exert a force equal to the needed rope tension. Which is half the weight.

What if the problem is changed a bit?

Suppose there are two massless pulleys, and the massless rope is attached to the ceiling.
_______
| /O\ The 75kg window washer stands on the weightless platform and pulls on the
| | | string at point "x." How hard does she have to pull to slowly raise herself at
| | | constant velocity?
| x |
| _ |
\ O/

AlexWyler said:
What if the problem is changed a bit?

Suppose there are two massless pulleys, and the massless rope is attached to the ceiling.
_______
| /O\ The 75kg window washer stands on the weightless platform and pulls on the
| | | string at point "x." How hard does she have to pull to slowly raise herself at
| | | constant velocity?
| x |
| _ |
\ O/

If I'm reading your cartoon correctly, then you have three massless ropes connected only by massless pulleys. In that case the tension in all three ropes is the same. So they all exert the same tension T on the platform and washer. So 3*T=mg. Conclusion?

Related to How Does a Window Washer Adjust Force to Ascend at a Constant Speed?

1. What is the "Window Washer Force Problem"?

The "Window Washer Force Problem" is a physics problem that involves calculating the force experienced by a window washer as they clean a window while hanging from a suspended platform.

2. What factors affect the force experienced by the window washer?

The force experienced by the window washer is affected by several factors, including the weight of the window washer, the angle of the rope or cable supporting the platform, and the speed at which the window washer moves.

3. How do you calculate the force experienced by the window washer?

The force experienced by the window washer can be calculated using the formula F = mg + ma, where F is the total force, m is the mass of the window washer, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and a is the acceleration of the window washer as they move along the window.

4. What units are used to measure the force experienced by the window washer?

The force experienced by the window washer is typically measured in Newtons (N) or pounds (lbs).

5. Why is the "Window Washer Force Problem" important?

Understanding the "Window Washer Force Problem" is important for ensuring the safety of window washers and other workers who may be suspended from heights. It also helps engineers and architects design safe and efficient window washing equipment and structures.