What are serial ports and how were they used in older computer systems?

In summary, a developer is a computer programmer who works on software and drivers for a specific platform. They require advanced computer skills and knowledge of system calls and the platform's kernel and services. To learn more about developing for Windows 7, one can check out the Microsoft Developers Network for a software developers kit and device drivers kit. These kits provide tools for writing code, uploading it, debugging, and a comprehensive guide and manuals. In the past, debugging involved using two computers with one serving as the target system and the other as the host system, communicating through serial ports.
Saladsamurai
I saw a book today called "Windows 7 for Developers" and it made curious: what exactly is a 'developer?' And what kind of background/ computer skills do you think would be necessary to read this book? (the answer will help me better understand what a developer does.)

thanks!

Technology news on Phys.org
A developer is a computer programmer that works on software and drivers for a given platform. As an example, when the iphone came out, apple released a developer tool kit for anyone that wants to make their own apps and games - and then sell it.

The tool kit contains everything you need from writing code, uploading it, debugging, a list of supported functions, and a comprehensive guide and manuals.

For Windows 7 it would be more advanced - perhaps a list of system calls and info on the Windows kernel and services.

Check out MSDN (Microsoft Developers Network) for a SDK (software developers kit) and DDK (device drivers kit) for Windows 7. Last time I used a DDK was for Windows NT. It included remote debugging that used two computers, one was the target system with the device driver, the other was the host system that had the debugger, compiler, and source code for the driver. The target system would breakpoint during driver loading, allowing the user to specify which driver to break upon driver startup. At that time (1990's), the two systems communicated via serial ports.

Jeff Reid said:
At that time (1990's), the two systems communicated via serial ports.

Ohhhh, serial ports. That's so quaint! :rofl:

1. What are the key features of Windows 7 for developers?

Windows 7 offers several key features for developers, including improved performance and stability, enhanced networking capabilities, and a more user-friendly interface for developing and testing applications. It also includes updated tools and frameworks, such as the Windows SDK and .NET Framework 4.5, to support the latest development technologies and languages.

2. Can I still develop applications for older versions of Windows on Windows 7?

Yes, Windows 7 supports backwards compatibility with previous versions of Windows, so you can still develop and test applications for older versions such as Windows XP or Windows Vista. However, keep in mind that some features and tools may differ between versions, so it's always best to test your application on the specific version you are targeting.

3. What programming languages can I use to develop applications on Windows 7?

Windows 7 supports a wide range of programming languages, including C++, C#, Visual Basic, and JavaScript. It also has built-in support for popular development environments such as Visual Studio, allowing you to choose the language and tools that best suit your needs.

4. Can I develop and test applications for different devices on Windows 7?

Yes, Windows 7 offers a variety of tools and frameworks to support multi-platform development. You can develop and test applications for desktop, mobile, and web platforms using Windows 7, making it a versatile choice for developers working on different devices.

5. Is Windows 7 suitable for both novice and experienced developers?

Yes, Windows 7 is designed to be user-friendly for developers of all levels. It offers a familiar interface and intuitive tools for beginners, while also providing advanced features and customization options for more experienced developers. With a wide range of documentation and resources available, developers of all skill levels can easily learn and utilize Windows 7 for their projects.