What is the role of Windows Defender in Windows 7 and should it be enabled?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Windows Defender, a program included with Windows 7 that acts as a safeguard against malware and spyware. The speaker is unsure if it should be turned on and asks if it is necessary if they already have antivirus software installed. The other person suggests that having multiple antivirus programs may cause issues and recommends using only one. The speaker mentions that they have AVG, Bitdefender, and Malwarebyte installed and are considering removing Bitdefender.
mathman
Science Advisor
I have started using Windows 7 recently. There is a program called Windows Defender included with it, and it is turned off. What is its function (seems to be some sort of safeguard) and should it be turned on?

Computer science news on Phys.org
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Defender" . Do you have any antivirus software installed? If so, they may already include anti-spyware tools.

Last edited by a moderator:
Borg said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Defender" . Do you have any antivirus software installed? If so, they may already include anti-spyware tools.

I have AVG, Bitdefender, and Malwarebyte (all free versions).

Last edited by a moderator:
mathman said:
I have AVG, Bitdefender, and Malwarebyte (all free versions).
I can't say for sure but I don't think that it's good to have more than one antivirus program running at a time. I had a new Windows 7 computer last year and made the mistake of having both AVG and Microsoft Security Essentials running on it. They were causing it to randomly lock up especially while browsing the internet. It took me a while to figure that one out.

You are probably right. I am not familiar with Bitdefender (it came with my installation) and I've been thinking of removing it. AVG seems to do very well - Consumer Reports liked it.

1. What is Windows Defender?

Windows Defender is a built-in anti-malware program that comes pre-installed in Windows 7. It helps protect your computer from viruses, spyware, and other malicious software.

2. How does Windows Defender work?

Windows Defender uses real-time protection to scan and monitor your computer for any suspicious activity. It also has a regularly updated database of known malware to block and remove threats.

3. Can I use Windows Defender with another anti-virus program?

Yes, you can use Windows Defender alongside another anti-virus program. However, it is not recommended as having two active anti-virus programs can cause conflicts and slow down your computer.

4. How do I turn off Windows Defender?

To turn off Windows Defender, go to the "Settings" menu and click on "Update & Security." Then, click on "Windows Security" and select "Virus & threat protection." From there, you can toggle off Windows Defender.

5. Is Windows Defender enough to protect my computer?

While Windows Defender is a reliable anti-malware program, it is not enough to protect your computer on its own. It is recommended to have a comprehensive security plan that includes regular software updates, safe browsing habits, and a reputable anti-virus program.