Wire loop placed in B field which is decreasing uniformly

In summary, a wire loop with 40 turns and 2·0×10−4 m2 area has a total resistance of 40Ω and is placed perpendicular to a uniform magnetic field of magnitude B0. When the field is turned off, the flux through the loop decreases linearly to zero and a total charge of 4·0 ×10−6 C passes around the loop. By equating the expressions for Emf and using Ohm's law, an expression for B0 can be found as B0=QR/NA.
jj364

Homework Statement

A wire loop of area 2·0×10−4 m2
contains 40 turns, and has a total resistance of
40Ω. The plane of the loop is perpendicular to a uniform magnetic field of magnitude
B0. The magnetic field is now turned off such that the flux through the loop drops
linearly to zero. A total charge 4·0 ×10−6 C passes around the loop. Determine B0.

Homework Equations

None given

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so I think that
Emf=-N[itex]\frac{d\Phi}{dt}[/itex]
but it says that the field drops linearly so that just becomes
Emf=-NA[itex]\frac{\Delta B}{\Delta t}[/itex]

Also Emf=IR

So from this I equated the two but I will just end up with an expression for B0 dependent on t, and I'm not sure if this is what is wanted. I'm unsure about my use of Ohm's law here too. Thanks in advance, any help at all would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need one more idea: What is the relationship between the current and the total mount of charge that flows?

Current is the rate of flow of charge. So could I say from this that
B=IR/NA? Because I'll have a rate on either side of my equation?

When you set your two expressions for Emf equal to each other and solve for ΔB, what expression do you get for ΔB?

Oh right I see, misread the question, didn't realize that it was charge not current. So you can write ΔB=QR/NA. Thanks very much!

What is a wire loop?

A wire loop is a closed circuit of conducting material, typically in the shape of a circle, that allows electricity to flow through it.

What is a B field?

A B field, also known as a magnetic field, is a region in space where a magnetic force can be detected.

How does a wire loop placed in a decreasing B field behave?

When a wire loop is placed in a decreasing B field, an electric current is induced in the loop, creating a temporary magnetic field that opposes the original B field.

Why does the B field need to be decreasing uniformly?

In order for an electric current to be induced in the wire loop, the B field must be changing. If the B field is changing at a constant rate, the induced current will also be constant.

What are the practical applications of a wire loop placed in a decreasing B field?

This phenomenon is used in devices such as generators and transformers to convert mechanical energy into electrical energy and vice versa. It is also the principle behind many modern technologies, such as electric motors and magnetic levitation trains.