Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wireless Power

1. Nov 2, 2005 #1
    My question is how to generate wireless power i.e. cordless power to power up electronic/electrical equipments. Any link to research that has done on it & other startup links. How can you help me learn about it as early as possible.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2005 #2
    I will be back on next monday to see the thread.

Best Regards

4. Nov 2, 2005 #3

Danger

Gold Member

Batteries.

Or do you mean transmitted wireless power?

5. Nov 2, 2005 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

There are a number of ways to do it, but there isn't anything that is really feasible. What exactly is the purpose of this?

6. Nov 7, 2005 #5
    I mean, as an example to power up the television set without using power cord connected to 220V/110V ac wall socket.

7. Nov 7, 2005 #6
    It is a research oriented project and we will hopefully get funding for that.

8. Nov 7, 2005 #7

Danger

Gold Member

All that I can think of that would be applicable on that scale would be the aforementioned batteries, built-in generators, or inductive pickups. The SPS beamed-power proposals use microwaves, but you don't want to be messing about with that stuff in your living room.

9. Nov 7, 2005 #8
    Well, there are radio sets which don't have any batteries. The strength of the radio wave is sufficient for (faint) music/whatever.

Other than this, why don't we use about 100 million volts.... that should be able to travel about ten meters....... heh

10. Nov 8, 2005 #9

As I mentioned before my research will be wireless based i.e. on electromagnetic waves.

11. Nov 8, 2005 #10

Cliff_J

Science Advisor

ElectroPhysics - what type of power level and distance between transmitter/receiver are you talking about?

12. Nov 8, 2005 #11

russ_watters

Well, it looks like about 200w and about 5m...

13. Nov 8, 2005 #12

russ_watters

14. Nov 10, 2005 #13
    The transmitter should able to provide sufficient energy to power up all the equipments e.g. present in a house and should cover the range of this house.

15. Nov 10, 2005 #14
    The equipments are not fixed in a place and as stated earlier we have to find its electromagnetism based solution.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2005
  16. Nov 10, 2005 #15

russ_watters

Omnidirectional power transmittance requires an enormous amount of power, since the vast majority doesn't go to what you are powering, but, rather, is absorbed by other objects, the air, etc.

17. Nov 10, 2005 #16
    You could simply turn the entire house into a walk-in microwave oven. That would work. Any person trying to watch TV in that house would cook and smolder, though.

18. Nov 11, 2005 #17
    I will appreciate if some body send me a link to MS or PhD thesis regarding this topic.

19. Nov 11, 2005 #18

russ_watters

Sorry, I don't think you're going to find what you are looking for. It just isn't a feasible idea.

20. Nov 11, 2005 #19
    I agree with you only by feasibility point of view. Many things were not possible in the past that exist today. My research can provide some clues or hints to achieve it for future generations. Today we live the life that our ancestors has just imagined and struggled for. I will do this research for the benefits of next generations.

21. Nov 11, 2005 #20
    I think it will be the main research area in near future

Last edited: Nov 11, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?