Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wireless solitons promise huge bandwidth

1. Oct 26, 2014 #1
    Some researchers claim that wireless soliton technics offer bandwidth up to 1 THz and they even made some type of such device. I wish to know if that thing is capable to work as an omni-directional antenna or it works rather like point-to-point laser communication? Could there be a such thing as an omni-directional soliton? I thought that solitons are rather localized packet waves...
    www.deas.harvard.edu/~donhee/IEEE_Comm_Magazine_Dec_2006.pdf

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2014 #2

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not sure that the conditions needed for a soliton to propagate would be consistent with an omnidirectional requirement. And, of course, there would be an inverse law to reduce the received power with distance (with either a spherical or cylindrical pattern).

4. Oct 26, 2014 #3
    "Nonlinear transmission lines"...I can imagine many problems with that

5. Oct 26, 2014 #4
    Could you give more elaborated comments?

6. Oct 26, 2014 #5
    Just sayin' I don't like it.
    Distortion of waves and signals due to Tx nonlinearities is a very undesirable thing. Both in transmission of energy and, telecommunications systems (so far). Seems that these nonlinearities are crucial for the scheme of signal transmission proposed, so implementation is likely to be one more problem to solve.

7. Oct 26, 2014 #6
  8. Oct 26, 2014 #7

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That article seems a bit muddled. The point of solitons, I thought, was that they will travel a long way with no loss. I see no point in using a soliton inside a phone. Once the wave has been radiated, it would be subject to the same conditions as any other wave. How would a soliton be sustained in free space? The soliton would only exist between the generating mechanism and the outside of the phone???
    It looks like the person who wrote the article had a two minute conversation with someone on the project and then wrote what he remembered.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook