Wiring 3/4 HP Submersible Well Pump - Is #10 OK?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Cawagner
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Pump Wiring
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
1 reply · 3K views
Cawagner
Messages
1
Reaction score
2
TL;DR
mixing 2 wire gauges for submersible well pump
3/4 hp submersible well pump with #12 wire at top of casing from pump. I had a senior moment and wired from the panel to the pressure switch and switch to top of casing with #10. I am thinking I am ok as long as the breaker never exceeds 20 amps. Just want to make sure. Thanks.
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
Electrically, if #12 copper would have been sufficient for the entire run, then a combination of #10 and #12 copper would also be electrically sufficient.

However, different cities/states/countries have different electrical codes. I would suggest you consult with a licensed electrician.

If we are talking 120V, then a 20Amp breaker is OK for a 3/4 HP motor is this kind of application. According to the motor labeling or the manual, how many amps does the motor draw?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: berkeman, jim mcnamara and russ_watters