Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Woman dies in ER lobby as 911 refuses to help

1. Jun 13, 2007 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2007 #2

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is the same hospital that was formerly King/Drew. It has an extremely bad reputation. We used to hear horrible stories about it all the time on the news.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2007
  4. Jun 13, 2007 #3
    That hospital has a history of severe problems.
    But due to political correctness, since it is a "black" hospital, people rather look the other way.

This hospital needs to be closed immediately!

5. Jun 13, 2007 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Did you all see the story last night about the guy who was beaten by a paramedic for refusing treatment?

6. Jun 13, 2007 #5

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Are these people snapping from the stress?

7. Jun 13, 2007 #6
    Woman dies in hospital when nurses refuse help

Did you hear about that woman who was at Martin Luther King Jr. Harbor Hospital? She collapsed on the ground and proceeded to vomit blood while the nurses stood by and watched. No one helped her! It's a disgrace. A perfect example of gross negligence.

8. Jun 13, 2007 #7

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This story is absolutely ridiculous. There were so many people shirking their duties in this situation, it's disgusting. How is this hospital.....well, still a hospital and not an abandoned building???

9. Jun 13, 2007 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't know about these particular situations but emergency medicine is no walk in the park. Not everyone who goes into that line of work can take it; in fact most of us couldn't. People resond to the horror of it all in any number of ways including treating the patients like cattle, or with disdain, or rarely even with hatred. And in the inner cities, in places like MLK in Watts, or USC med center in LA, places where I have worked, it is a damned ugly scene much of the time. The people who can do this work and still care [like my wife] are indeed very special people.

10. Jun 13, 2007 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How is it politically correct to look the other way and let people die? Sounds rather racist to say, "Oh, it's a black hospital, it's okay if they die," doesn't it?

I agree. It sounds like the doors should simply be boarded up if someone writhing in pain and vomiting blood is just sitting in a waiting room in an ER.

I think if I'd have been there and the paramedics said they couldn't provide transport to another hospital because she's already at a hospital and it was under those conditions, I'd have helped carry her out to the sidewalk so she was no longer at a hospital just so that 911 would have to respond and take her somewhere else.

11. Jun 13, 2007 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:grumpy: Hey! Those of us with 4-legged patients take much better care of them than that! People would WISH they were treated like cattle (or sheep) when in the hospital. :biggrin:

12. Jun 13, 2007 #11
    I think you did not understand my comments at all.

I suggest you inform yourself about the history of this hospital, how it started and the endless list of problems it had and why it is still no closed.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2007
  13. Jun 13, 2007 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Obviously not, because I can't see how your statement makes any sense as being politically correct.

I have an idea from this thread, and really don't see the need to go "informing myself" of any more of it. I don't care what its history is other than if they have a history of endangering people's lives with negligence, then they should be shut down NOW.

14. Jun 13, 2007 #13

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

He actually was sick at first and that's when he called the EMS. He started to feel better but it was too late to call off the ambulance. The EMT that beat him committed suicide the very next day. The man is suing his estate. There was something very wrong with that individual. Unfortunately, that sick person got the wrong EMT on the wrong night.

15. Jun 13, 2007 #14
    I have a problem with this. A lot of the blame lies on the government, local and federal, who don't give enough funding for hospitals to hire and train doctors and nurses. I also think that it may have something to do with race and poverty. If this hospital was in Beverly Hills, the hospital would have more funding than it needed and the doctors would be from the top of their respective classes.

16. Jun 14, 2007 #15

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The name of the hospital has changed from MLK, to MLK-Drew, to MLK-Harbor. I didn't realize that this is the same MLK in Watts where I worked.

Yeah, that is one really bad place. This lies in the heart of Watts, which is famous for the Watts riots in the sixties. It is, or at least was one of the most dangerous areas around Los Angeles. A cop once told me that I was a fool to be working in that area without a gun.

I saw last night that as this woman was dying, the janitor was cleaning up the blood and vomit but did nothing to get help. Unbelievable!

A doctor once told me that this is the last place he would want to be as a patient, unless he was shot or stabbed. ER docs at MLK see this as much as anyone - every day. In fact it was an experience at MLK that convinced me not to go into medicine. I was working on CT scanners and considering getting an MD, but one day I had to help with a patient at MLK. It was a young girl - about age fifteen or sixteen - who had been shot in the face with a shotgun at point blank. I had seen a lot of bad things before, but that was it for me and a medical career.

17. Jul 13, 2007 #16

cronxeh

Gold Member

AHAHAHAH :rofl:

sorry, man.. :rolleyes:

18. Aug 21, 2007 #17

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

End of the road for King-Harbor:
    http://www.dailybruin.com/news/2007/aug/20/king_harbor_hospital_shutting_down/

19. Aug 21, 2007 #18
    Here's a story I heard from a woman I met recently about a San Diego Hospital:

She and her friends were assaulted by a gang of thieves at the beach, each of them punched several times. The paramedics duct taped her to a board and brought her to the emergency room. When they found out she had no insurance they left her there for two hours unattended.

She told a passing person to get a nurse when she eventually had to pee. A nurse came, pulled her jeans down to her knees, then left, presumably to get a bed pan, but never came back. Eventually she couldn't hold it and let go. The nurse came back, castigated her for her weakness, then wheeled her to x-ray, covered in pee, with her jeans still pulled down, in full view of everyone. The x-ray technician was astonished and baffled, but to the best of her knowledge nothing happened to the nurse.

Not life threatening, but, really, what the hell is wrong with these medical people!?!?

20. Aug 21, 2007 #19

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I don't get what ambulance company would send out paramedics with boards and duct tape instead of stretchers, how did they get her into the ER if not on a stretcher? I've never heard of that. Did they then put the board on a stretcher? The stretcher would have straps. :confused:

21. Aug 21, 2007 #20
    I think they strapped her to the board because they couldn't get a stretcher on wheels onto the beach. Having taped her to the board, they simply laid the board on a stretcher in the ambulance and wheeled her into the hospital that way.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?