1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wondering why my method of finding charge doesn't work?

1. Oct 21, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A parallel plate capacitor has a capacitance of C=5.00pF when there is air between the plates. The separation between the plates is 1.50mm. What is the maximum magnitude of charge Q that can be placed on each plate if the electric field in the region between the plates is not to exceed 3.00 x 10^4 V/m?

2. Relevant equations
    Equations my professor used:
    Vmax=Emax*d
    Qmax=CVmax

Equations I used:
    E=σ/ε

3. The attempt at a solution
    So the way my professor solved which is probably the easiest way and the right way is first he solved for the maximum potential:
    Vmax=Emaxd
    = (3.00 x 10^4 V/m)(1.50 x 10^-3m)= 45V
    Then you can solve for the charge:
    Qmax=CVmax
    = (5pF)(45.0V)= 225pC

So the way I did it was that since we have parallel plates, we know the electric field between them is E=σ/ε. So:
    3.00 x 10^4 V/m= σ/(8.85 x 10^-12 C^/Nm^2)
    σ=2.655 x 10^-7

And since σ=Q/L
    Q=σL
    =(2.655 x 1-^-7)(1.50 x 10^-3 M)
    =3.98 x 10^-10 C A different answer than my professor.

I know that my units are all messed up. But I just get confused because there are so many different ways to solve for the electric field..so shouldn't they all equal the same thing? Or is this different because it is a capacitor? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2011 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

σ = Q/Area (not Q/L)

You need to make use of the given capacitance to find the charge.

4. Oct 21, 2011 #3
    ohhh ok I feel stupid now. So if we know the are then we could use this way. My professor however on a different problem used A=2∏r^2 for the area of the parallel capacitors. That doesn't really make sense to me since they are rectangles..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook