Electric field of two plates separated by a spacial charge.

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about a very large plate charged with Q and another similar plate charged with 3*Q/2. The task is to calculate the electric field at two points on the x-axis, P and S, using Gauss law. The student is confused about the sign of the areas in the equation and the professor's elaboration, but it is clarified that the areas have opposite signs because they have different orientations.
Decimal
Hello,

I think I solved the question, but I am confused by the elaboration on the exercise given by my professor.

1. Homework Statement

A very large plate charged with charge Q is placed between x = -d and x=0. A similar plate charged with charge 3*Q/2 is placed between x = 3*s and x = 3*s + d. Here, s and d are given constants.

Between the plates exists a spatial charge ρ, between x = 0 and x = 3s. Consider two points P and S placed on either side of the two plates on the x-axis, but also very close to them. Point P is placed at Xp > 3*s+d, and Point S at Xs < -d.

Calculate the electric field in point P and S. The plates are large enough that side effects can be ignored and the electric field will only have a component parallel to the x-axis.

Homework Equations

[/B]
Gauss law for electric fields

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
This is what I did:

Because these plates are very large, the electric field is not dependent on distance from the plates and the electric field will be the same size on either side, just in the opposite direction.

Take a gauss cylinder through the plates with the two sides through point S and P.

Ep⋅dA + ∫Es⋅dA = Qenc/ε0

Then since Ep and Es point in the same direction as dA in both cases you can write

∫Ep*dA + ∫Es*dA = Qenc/ε0

I will call the surface of the cylinders side A'

Ep*A' + Es*A'=Qenc/ε0

Now this is where my problem arises. I know how to calculate Qenc and work out this equation, but in the elaborations given by my professor the equation becomes:

Ep*A' - Es*A'=Qenc/ε0

I don't understand where this minus comes from. dA and Es should point in the same direction right?

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on your definition of the signs. If you want both electric fields to follow the same sign convention (probably: positive=to the right), then the areas have to be A' and -A' because their orientation is different.

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region in space where an electrically charged particle experiences a force. It is represented by a vector at each point, with the direction indicating the direction of the force and the magnitude indicating the strength of the force.

2. How is an electric field created between two plates?

An electric field is created between two plates by placing an opposite charge on each plate, such as a positive charge on one plate and a negative charge on the other. This creates an electric potential difference between the plates, causing the electric field to form.

3. What is the equation for the electric field between two plates separated by a spacial charge?

The equation for the electric field between two plates separated by a spacial charge is E = σ/ε0, where E is the electric field, σ is the charge density of the plates, and ε0 is the permittivity of free space.

4. How does the distance between the two plates affect the strength of the electric field?

The strength of the electric field between two plates separated by a spacial charge is directly proportional to the distance between the plates. As the distance between the plates increases, the electric field weakens.

5. What is the significance of the spacial charge in the electric field between two plates?

The spacial charge plays a crucial role in creating the electric field between two plates. It determines the strength and direction of the electric field, as well as the amount of charge that can be stored on each plate. Without a spacial charge, there would be no electric field between the plates.