Wordle Lovers - Play the NYT Daily Game

  • Thread starter Thread starter fresh_42
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Game
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
8,778 replies · 459K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Wordle 1,038 2/6

πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Quite the change from the previous game. Wordlebot says about 1 in 9 got it in 2.
Interestingly, the solution was not in my list of legitimate answers, though a cheat site listed it. Not only that, but Wordlebot says there were 4 more legitimate answers, while my database showed zero, and the cheat site only listed the 1. :nb)
 
  • Wow
Likes   Reactions: Herman Trivilino
OmCheeto said:
Quite the change from the previous game. Wordlebot says about 1 in 9 got it in 2.
Interestingly, the solution was not in my list of legitimate answers, though a cheat site listed it. Not only that, but Wordlebot says there were 4 more legitimate answers, while my database showed zero, and the cheat site only listed the 1. :nb)
Based on my standard first guess, I don't think I could have gotten it in 2 even if I would have tried (I also have a standard second guess, which I use unless the first is particularly informative).

However, this:
Orodruin said:
🟨🟩⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜🟨🟩🟩
was effectively this:
🟨🟩🟨🟩🟩
so kind of hard to miss the third guess. :wink:

(And now people should be able to figure out my standard guesses ...)
 
Wordle 1,038 3/6

🟦🟦🟦⬜🟦
⬜🟧🟧🟧🟦
🟧🟧🟧🟧🟧

OmCheeto said:
Interestingly, the solution was not in my list of legitimate answers, though a cheat site listed it. Not only that, but Wordlebot says there were 4 more legitimate answers, while my database showed zero, and the cheat site only listed the 1. :nb)
I see what you mean. My second guess was the only one in my database of about 2300 words and I was surprised when it wasn't correct. I then went to the extended database of 13,000 words and found a total of 4 words that match the pattern in my first entry.

Also, I will delay posting my process for solving yesterday's puzzle because I used the same seed word today. Knowledge of that might spoil it for others considering that it contains four of the five letters in today's word.
 
Orodruin said:
(And now people should be able to figure out my standard guesses ...)
From your patterns, I came up with 3 possible words for your first guess: SAUCY, SATIN, & SANDY, and 1 for your second guess: IDLER.

I currently have 14 seed words, so I think it would be nearly impossible to deduce any of them. Even with the 4 out of 5 letters from todays game, I can come up with 10 possible words.
 
OmCheeto said:
From your patterns, I came up with 3 possible words for your first guess: SAUCY, SATIN, & SANDY, and 1 for your second guess: IDLER.
The first is one of those three. The second is incorrect (it is not necessarily a possible solution).

Edit: Hint: After the two first guesses I have covered all vowels and a number of common consonants.
 
Last edited:
Wordle 1,039 3/6

β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨
β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›β¬›
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Getting this in 3 was mostly luck, as I had 7 words to choose from.
1 in 9 people did not solve the puzzle today.
 
Wordle 1,039 X/6

β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨
β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›
⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨β¬›

Did not finish that one. Even after using 21 different letters after 5 words, I found out afterward that I still had 3 different possible solutions on my 6th guess.
 
Wordle 1,039 6/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜🟦
⬜⬜⬜🟧🟧
⬜🟧⬜⬜⬜
🟧⬜⬜⬜🟦
⬜⬜⬜🟧🟧
🟧🟧🟧🟧🟧

This was a "Phew" for me. Faced with 7 choices and 3 guesses left, I went for the certainty of 6 score rather than guessing. Anyway, here is how I did 1037 at @sbrothy's request. My pattern was
kuruman said:
Wordle 1,037 4/6

⬜🟦⬜⬜⬜
⬜🟧⬜🟧🟧
⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
🟧🟧🟧🟧🟧
Screen Shot 2024-04-21 at 12.48.01 PM.png
After the seed word, I looked at the frequency and distribution of letters in the 56 remaining candidates for the choice of the second word. In order to maximize hits, the idea is to find a word with high-frequency letters and L in a position other than 2. See spreadsheet table on the right. The top letter L was the single hit in word 1 and, fortunately, the next four can be used to form DOILY which was the second guess.
Screen Shot 2024-04-21 at 4.00.15 PM.png

Of the 56 candidates this left 5:
GOLLY, HOLLY, JOLLY, NOBLY, WOOLY

What I did next showcases @Orodruin's observation about the value of informational guesses. I have 4 guesses left and 5 words. I looked for a word that violates the hard mode rule but provides information on which candidates can be excluded from the list. I chose
Screen Shot 2024-04-21 at 4.00.40 PM.png

This was my burn word that guaranteed the answer in 4. It contains the first letter in 4 of the candidates. As it turned out, I got no hit which pointed to the only candidate that has none of the 5 letters in the burn word.
Screen Shot 2024-04-21 at 4.00.57 PM.png

This could not have been done in hard mode.

By the way,
  • If you're wondering what WHANG means, see here.
  • If you're wondering whether WHANG was part of my vocabulary, the answer is No. I had my spreadsheet search the list of almost 13,000 words for a word containing GHNW and, luckily, it found one.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark, Herman Trivilino, OmCheeto and 2 others
kuruman said:
  • [...] I had my spreadsheet search the list of almost 13,000 words for a word containing GHNW and, luckily, it found one.

So, you are cheating? :P

Nah, I'm joking, but I must say your devotion may not be that healthy. :)
 
sbrothy said:
So, you are cheating? :P

Nah, I'm joking, but I must say your devotion may not be that healthy. :)
Ha! Since Kuruman is being so honest, can you tell me how you came up with your second guess in that game? You were in hard mode and had 200 words to choose from, and miraculously chose the only one that would solve the puzzle in 4 guesses.
Are you a Wordle savant?
 
It was a pretty nonchalant guess. Since A, E and I had been eliminated I was trying to eliminate more vocals and O and U seemed obvious choices. I chose DOUGH mostly because it was the first word I could think of with those 2 vocals and consisting of all different letters.

I don't consult any lists and I don't keep track of which words are already used, so yes: nonchalant, not savant. :)
 
sbrothy said:
It was a pretty nonchalant guess. Since A, E and I had been eliminated I was trying to eliminate more vocals and O and U seemed obvious choices. I chose DOUGH mostly because it was the first word I could think of with those 2 vocals and consisting of all different letters.

I don't consult any lists and I don't keep track of which words are already used, so yes: nonchalant, not savant. :)
That makes sense. By that logic you only had 26 words to choose from.
Still though, a stunning amount of luck there.
Where would you have ended up if you'd chosen 'LOUSY' as your second word? :biggrin:
 
OmCheeto said:
That makes sense. By that logic you only had 26 words to choose from.
Still though, a stunning amount of luck there.
Where would you have ended up if you'd chosen 'LOUSY' as your second word? :biggrin:

Hah yeah. That would've been lousy indeed. :)


Or wait... would it? I would have discovered an L sooner and the O would still have been correctly placed... I dunno. As I said my MO is "meandering chaos". :P

And yes. Luck. Then again I need a little luck to be able to compete as English is only my second language.