Wordle Lovers - Play the NYT Daily Game

  • Thread starter Thread starter fresh_42
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Game
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
8,780 replies · 460K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Wordle 1,054 4/6

πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›β¬›
β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ©
β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ©
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Drat! The solution was not in my list of valid answers. Not sure if it would have improved my game.
But it's always a surprise when my spreadsheet says I'll have it on the next guess and BAM! Another wrong answer. Anyways, the solution is not an uncommon word, so I'm guessing it was an error on my end.
 
It turned out to be the second choice starter word that I use when my first word doesn't look promising. :)
Wordle 1,054 2/6

⬜⬜🟨🟨⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
 
dwarde said:
It turned out to be the second choice starter word that I use when my first word doesn't look promising. :)
Wordle 1,054 2/6

⬜⬜🟨🟨⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
You use
PIOUS
as a starter word? Yeh ok why not? It eliminates a lot of tough words. :)

wp!
 
Wordle 1 055 6/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜🟨
🟨⬜🟨⬜⬜
⬜⬜🟨⬜🟩
⬜🟩🟩⬜🟩
⬜⬜⬜🟩⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Phew! Streak intact.

(I knew I could solve it for certain before guess 5, but making a 6th guess is always scary)
 
sbrothy said:
You use
PIOUS
as a starter word? Yeh ok why not? It eliminates a lot of tough words. :)

wp!
It was actually the 10th most used seed word today, yielding a ratio of 1:100 people solving the game on their first guess, and it was the #1 most popular 2nd guess yielding a ratio of 1:20 solving it on that guess. According to my records, I've never used the word, though I can now see its voweluptuous attractiveness.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: sbrothy and edwardII
Wordle 1,055 3/6

β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ©
β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ©
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

No cheating. My first answer yielded only 13 remaining solutions, and my 2nd guess left only 2. So this was mostly luck. Globally, this is a very difficult game with a mean of 4.895 guesses to solve. Sigma is 0.965.
 
OmCheeto said:
and my 2nd guess left only 2
According to https://5-letter-words.com/, you had at least 4 possible words: JERKY, JERRY, KERKY, KERRY.

Even assuming your first 2 guesses contain B, D, N, P, M - the combination leaving the least amount of guesses - you still have 7 other words left: CERTY, FERLY, FERRY, HERRY, SERRY, TERRY, VERRY are also possibilities with your 2nd guess.

But, I admit, some of them are less likely to be the word.
 
OmCheeto said:
Globally, this is a very difficult game with a mean of 4.895 guesses to solve.
Is that for just today's puzzle or for the game overall.
 
jack action said:
According to https://5-letter-words.com/, you had at least 4 possible words: ...
That site lists words that are accepted but are not solutions. It also lists previous solutions. I keep track of those. So far, the game has not resorted to putting old solutions back into circulation.

I use the following site to check on Wordlebot's game each day: https://tryhardguides.com/wordle-solver/

and use a spreadsheet while I play the game as I consider myself almost illiterate to the point where I will stare at the letters on the Wordle keyboard for an eternity and not come up with anything.

Mister T said:
Is that for just today's puzzle or for the game overall.
Just todays. The average of the global mean for the last few hundred games hovers around 4.000 . For PF it averages about 3.700 .
 
  • Informative
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: jack action and edwardII