Wordle Lovers - Play the NYT Daily Game

  • Thread starter Thread starter fresh_42
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Game
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
8,778 replies · 459K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Wordle 1 061 3/6

⬜⬜🟨⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

A resonable and informative guess based on the first two results … turns out to be the solution
 
kuruman said:
So UNTIL increases your chances for hits over TULIP albeit not by much. Either choice has the top 3 letters IUL.
LUCID has 4 of the top 5 at the price of including a slightly less common D.
 
Orodruin said:
LUCID has 4 of the top 5 at the price of including a slightly less common D.
Based on the fact that kuruman counts all occurrences of letters, hence having double 'L' words give 'L' a boost in the rankings, and according to my single letter count theory, 'Y' is the second most information rich letter, and hence, UNITY is the best choice, with a score of 409.

Post "AROSE" played with no hits letter counts by player
Om​
kuruman​
15.23%​
I​
14.64%​
10.28%​
Y​
8.52%​
9.54%​
U​
9.40%​
8.99%​
L​
9.29%​
6.61%​
T​
6.67%​
6.42%​
N​
6.99%​
6.06%​
C​
6.99%​
5.50%​
H​
6.67%​
5.14%​
P​
5.03%​
4.95%​
M​
4.59%​
4.22%​
D​
4.15%​
3.85%​
G​
3.93%​
3.49%​
B​
2.62%​
3.12%​
F​
3.93%​
1.83%​
K​
2.73%​
1.83%​
W​
1.31%​
0.92%​
V​
0.87%​
0.92%​
Z​
0.87%​
0.55%​
J​
0.33%​
0.37%​
Q​
0.33%​
0.18%​
X​
0.11%​

OmCheeto word value after playing 'AROSE' with no hits. (fully bolded column under the top row 'h')
i​
u​
y​
l​
n​
c​
h​
t​
p​
m​
g​
d​
b​
f​
k​
w​
v​
z​
j​
q​
x​
a​
e​
o​
r​
s​
123​
90​
80​
75​
61​
57​
56​
55​
41​
36​
35​
33​
27​
27​
24​
13​
7​
6​
3​
3​
1​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
5​
0=not​
5​
2
0​
0​
378​
l​
u​
c​
i​
d​
i​
y​
u​
l​
t​
n​
c​
h​
p​
m​
d​
g​
.​
∑​
legit?​
legit?​
word​
yup​
this​
409​
1​
2​
3​
4​
5​
_​
1​
2​
3​
4​
5​
6​
7​
8​
9​
10​
11​
12​
13​
5​
1​
5​
tulip​
0​
384​
t​
u​
l​
i​
p​
4​
2​
3​
1​
5​
5​
1​
5​
guilt​
0​
378​
g​
u​
i​
l​
t​
3​
2​
4​
5​
1​
5​
1​
5​
tunic​
0​
386​
t​
u​
n​
i​
c​
4​
2​
1​
3​
5​
5​
1​
5​
until​
0​
404​
u​
n​
t​
i​
l​
4​
1​
5​
3​
2​
5​
1​
5​
unlit​
0​
404​
u​
n​
l​
i​
t​
4​
1​
3​
5​
2​
5​
1​
5​
unity​
0​
409​
u​
n​
i​
t​
y​
3​
5​
1​
4​
2​
5​
1​
5​
lucid​
0​
378​
l​
u​
c​
i​
d​
4​
2​
1​
3​
5​
 
OmCheeto said:
Based on the fact that kuruman counts all occurrences of letters, hence having double 'L' words give 'L' a boost in the rankings, and according to my single letter count theory, 'Y' is the second most information rich letter, and hence, UNITY is the best choice, with a score of 409.

Post "AROSE" played with no hits letter counts by player
Om​
kuruman​
15.23%​
I​
14.64%​
10.28%​
Y​
8.52%​
9.54%​
U​
9.40%​
8.99%​
L​
9.29%​
6.61%​
T​
6.67%​
6.42%​
N​
6.99%​
6.06%​
C​
6.99%​
5.50%​
H​
6.67%​
5.14%​
P​
5.03%​
4.95%​
M​
4.59%​
4.22%​
D​
4.15%​
3.85%​
G​
3.93%​
3.49%​
B​
2.62%​
3.12%​
F​
3.93%​
1.83%​
K​
2.73%​
1.83%​
W​
1.31%​
0.92%​
V​
0.87%​
0.92%​
Z​
0.87%​
0.55%​
J​
0.33%​
0.37%​
Q​
0.33%​
0.18%​
X​
0.11%​

OmCheeto word value after playing 'AROSE' with no hits. (fully bolded column under the top row 'h')
i​
u​
y​
l​
n​
c​
h​
t​
p​
m​
g​
d​
b​
f​
k​
w​
v​
z​
j​
q​
x​
a​
e​
o​
r​
s​
123​
90​
80​
75​
61​
57​
56​
55​
41​
36​
35​
33​
27​
27​
24​
13​
7​
6​
3​
3​
1​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
5​
0=not​
5​
2
0​
0​
378​
l​
u​
c​
i​
d​
i​
y​
u​
l​
t​
n​
c​
h​
p​
m​
d​
g​
.​
∑​
legit?​
legit?​
word​
yup​
this​
409​
1​
2​
3​
4​
5​
_​
1​
2​
3​
4​
5​
6​
7​
8​
9​
10​
11​
12​
13​
5​
1​
5​
tulip​
0​
384​
t​
u​
l​
i​
p​
4​
2​
3​
1​
5​
5​
1​
5​
guilt​
0​
378​
g​
u​
i​
l​
t​
3​
2​
4​
5​
1​
5​
1​
5​
tunic​
0​
386​
t​
u​
n​
i​
c​
4​
2​
1​
3​
5​
5​
1​
5​
until​
0​
404​
u​
n​
t​
i​
l​
4​
1​
5​
3​
2​
5​
1​
5​
unlit​
0​
404​
u​
n​
l​
i​
t​
4​
1​
3​
5​
2​
5​
1​
5​
unity​
0​
409​
u​
n​
i​
t​
y​
3​
5​
1​
4​
2​
5​
1​
5​
lucid​
0​
378​
l​
u​
c​
i​
d​
4​
2​
1​
3​
5​
I strongly suspect that it is possible to improve on these models by including the fact that letter occurrences are correlated and not independent. For example, the inclusion of a Y should have some positive correlation to the inclusion of a C or T based on how Y typically appears at the end of a word as -TY or -CY.
 
Wordle 1,062 5/6

🟦⬜⬜🟦⬜
🟦⬜⬜⬜⬜
🟧🟦🟧⬜🟦
🟧🟧🟧🟧⬜
🟧🟧🟧🟧🟧

Edit: My 2nd guess was intended to tease out the correct letters (something you can't do in hard mode) and it sorta worked. But again I suppose I was the the victim of bad luck. :mad:
 
Last edited:
Seriously, I’m baffled by the investment some of you people put into this. Spredsheets, statistics and what have we. I’m almost scared. Remind me never to play poker or chess involving real money with you people.

:)
 
  • Haha
  • Like
  • Care
Likes   Reactions: edwardII, OmCheeto and Herman Trivilino
sbrothy said:
Spredsheets, statistics and what have we.
I mean, I don’t actually use any of those when I play. Jist saying that if I were to …

sbrothy said:
Remind me never to play poker or chess involving real money with you people.
I spent quite some time playing poker and online poker as a PhD student. Made quite a bit of money overall.

Also went a couple of times with some other PhD students and a postdoc to the Stockholm casino to play in their low stakes tournament (basically €50+10 with 80 players). Was fun, won it once, although first time I got kicked out on a KK vs AA pre-flop all-in.
 
Orodruin said:
I mean, I don’t actually use any of those when I play. Jist saying that if I were to …


I spent quite some time playing poker and online poker as a PhD student. Made quite a bit of money overall.

Also went a couple of times with some other PhD students and a postdoc to the Stockholm casino to play in their low stakes tournament (basically €50+10 with 80 players). Was fun, won it once, although first time I got kicked out on a KK vs AA pre-flop all-in.
Somehow I’m not surprised. :)

Although I’m not really sure what KK and AA mean. Is it code for suspected idiot savant a la Rainman? :)

I’m joking
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: Herman Trivilino