Wordle Lovers - Play the NYT Daily Game

  • Thread starter Thread starter fresh_42
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Game
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
8,779 replies · 459K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Wordle 476 5/6

⬜⬜🟨⬜⬜
⬜⬜🟨🟨⬜
⬜🟩⬜🟩🟩
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Don't read the comment below until you've completed 476.
Today I was at a disadvantage because I'm not American.
 
DrGreg said:
Wordle 476 5/6

⬜⬜🟨⬜⬜
⬜⬜🟨🟨⬜
⬜🟩⬜🟩🟩
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Don't read the comment below until you've completed 476.
Today I was at a disadvantage because I'm not American.
Plus, I guess, you had the same attempt before last as I had. I knew it might have been wrong, but I had to take that word. A matter of honor.
 
fresh_42 said:
Plus, I guess, you had the same attempt before last as I had. I knew it might have been wrong, but I had to take that word.
I may reply to this in 36 hours' time, once game 476 has ended everywhere in the world.
 
Wordle 477 5/6

⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜🟨⬜⬜
🟨🟩⬜⬜🟩
⬜🟩🟨⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

fresh_42 said:
That wasn't even a word!
Not really, but it is in the dictionary!
 
  • Like
  • Wow
Likes   Reactions: Wrichik Basu and collinsmark
fresh_42 said:
Plus, I guess, you had the same attempt before last as I had. I knew it might have been wrong, but I had to take that word. A matter of honor.
I think there were only two words ending with 4 green squares yesterday. We all fell into that trap.
 
DrGreg said:
Wordle 476 5/6

⬜⬜🟨⬜⬜
⬜⬜🟨🟨⬜
⬜🟩⬜🟩🟩
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Don't read the comment below until you've completed 476.
Today I was at a disadvantage because I'm not American.
I believe Game 476 has now ended for everyone, wherever they are in the world, so I feel able to comment further.

When you are faced with a word with only one or two letters missing, there are two ways forward.

The reliable but slow way is to try every letter of the alphabet (except the ones that have turned black) and see whether you get a valid word or not.

The fast way is when you just spot a word that fits without really having to think about it. The human brain's pattern-matching ability just magically provides the answer for you. This method is fast but less reliable because sometimes there are several different words that match the pattern and this method might not find all of them. It also relies on the training set used to calibrate your brain, i.e. what words you have read in the past and how often you have read them.

In Game 476 the answer used an American spelling. As I'm British, although I'm aware of American spellings, I don't see them as often as British spellings, so my fast pattern-matching ability isn't as good with American spellings. I did find my penultimate guess by pattern-matching but I had to use the reliable-but-slow method for my final, correct guess.

But I shouldn't complain really. I know some of the participants in this thread don't speak English as their first language so I guess it must be much harder for them than for me.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Wrichik Basu and fresh_42
DrGreg said:
But I shouldn't complain really. I know some of the participants in this thread don't speak English as their first language so I guess it must be much harder for them than for me.
Especially people who learned British English as a second language and don't think of six-lettered words like humour and colour as fair game for this puzzle. It is ironic too that my spellchecker does not think of them as words and underlines them in red.
Screen Shot 2022-10-09 at 9.40.01 AM.png
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Wrichik Basu
kuruman said:
Especially people who learned British English as a second language and don't think of six-lettered words like humour and colour as fair game for this puzzle. It is ironic too that my spellchecker does not think of them as words and underlines them in red.
View attachment 315315
My browser (Firefox) allows me to choose "English (GB)" as the language. "English (US)" and "English (CA)" are also available. Some other languages come with multiple variants too. Spanish has 4.
 
DrGreg said:
My browser (Firefox) allows me to choose "English (GB)" as the language. "English (US)" and "English (CA)" are also available. Some other languages come with multiple variants too. Spanish has 4.
I never paid too much attention to that choice. I usually check the US version out of laziness. It is easier to type Pittsburg than Pittsborough.
 
fresh_42 said:
I never paid too much attention to that choice. I usually check the US version out of laziness. It is easier to type Pittsburg than Pittsborough.
Which Pittsburg is this? There are a few spelled like this but the better known one in Pennsylvania is spelled Pittsburgh.
 
kuruman said:
Which Pittsburg is this? There are a few spelled like this but the better known one in Pennsylvania is spelled Pittsburgh.
This was a neologism.
 
Wordle 478 3/6

⬛⬛⬛🟨⬛
⬛⬛🟨⬛⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

kuruman said:
Especially people who learned British English as a second language and don't think of six-lettered words like humour and colour as fair game for this puzzle.
Agreed. I have all spell checkers configured to English (GB). That's what we learned in school.
 
fresh_42 said:
Did you also have the V?
Yes. This isn't the first time that there has been a strong correlation between your game and mine.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Wrichik Basu and fresh_42
DrGreg said:
Yes. This isn't the first time that there has been a strong correlation between your game and mine.
And I had the same issue with the birthday problem. I was so focused on the wrong location of "t" that it took me definitely too long to recognize the "D".
 
fresh_42 said:
And I had the same issue with the birthday problem. I was so focused on the wrong location of "t" that it took me definitely too long to recognize the "D".
That's the brain's pattern-matching algorithm performing an error correction without you noticing it.