Wordle Lovers - Play the NYT Daily Game

  • Thread starter Thread starter fresh_42
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Game
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
8,781 replies · 460K views
Lucky guess

Wordle 1,617 3/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜🟨
⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
 
Physics news on Phys.org
dwarde said:
Lucky guess

Wordle 1,617 3/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜🟨
⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
I'm not sure why, but I find it quite satisfying when you and sprothy kick my butt.
All the computer logic in the world, defeated by random human brains.
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: sbrothy and edwardII
OmCheeto said:
I try not to shoot myself in the foot, so, no thank you.
I have thought about it though. Since I'm playing a completely different game than everyone else, playing in hard mode would require some extraordinary analysis, which I'm not sure I'm capable of.

For example, 7 of the 9 most difficult words ended in 'ER', indicating that one should never use a guess word that ends in 'ER', while in hard mode, as it nearly guarantees failure.

Perhaps if I survive to the point if and when Wordle starts over, I'll play it in hard mode, and see if it's possible.

But until then:

Wordle 1,617 4/6

β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›β¬› STEAL remaining: 42 old/22 new/82 used
πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨ 6/3/15
β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬› 1/0/0
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
I might try that just to see where it goes... :woot:
 
Wordle 1,618 3/6

πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©β¬› URINE remaining: 8 old/4 new/29 used
β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ©β¬› 1/1/1
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

A very fortuitous first guess.
 
sbrothy said:
I might try that just to see where it goes... :woot:

OK. I'll admit the final guess was a little lucky. :woot:

Wordle 1,618 3/6*

⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Screenshot (53).webp
 
sbrothy said:
OK. I'll admit the final guess was a little lucky. :woot:
...
Apologies for laughing, but they still haven't added a 'confused as hell' emoji.
I said DO NOT use words ending in 'ER' in hard mode....

Unless of course, it's your final answer.

ps. Thank you for kick starting my brain. I've decided that seed words containing:
n u y c p d m h g b k f w
are the best hard mode seed words.

Ha! Look at that! The solution to todays puzzle!
 
Wordle 1,619 4/6

⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛ TRIAL remaining: 88 old/106 new/130 used
β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›β¬› 5/8/2
β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ© 1/0/1
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

global mean: 3.820
 
Lucky first word!

Wordle 1,620 2/6

πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ¨PLATE
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩PLEAD
 
  • Wow
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: sbrothy, OmCheeto and edwardII
Wordle 1,621 4/6

β¬›β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨ RINSE remaining: 36 old/42 new/107 used
β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬› 3/4/13
β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ© 1/2/1
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

global mean: 4.229
 
OK. Thought I was gonna play smart again but, to use your expression, I ended up shooting myself in the foot.

Wordle 1.621 6/6*

β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›
β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ¨πŸŸ©β¬›
πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›
πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›
πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ¨πŸŸ©β¬›
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

E6EC7ACD-BDCD-433E-BBEA-B810A8566AD2.webp
 
sbrothy said:
OK. Thought I was gonna play smart again but, to use your expression, I ended up shooting myself in the foot.

Wordle 1.621 6/6*

β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›
β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ¨πŸŸ©β¬›
πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›
πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›
πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ¨πŸŸ©β¬›
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
I wouldn't call finishing the race in hard mode a failure.
Your post also prompted me to research what I consider to be the ideal hard mode seed word: CHUMP

After a bit of googling, I found this NYT article where they appear to have a 180Β° different strategy. They claim TROPE is the best hard mode seed.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: sbrothy and edwardII
Wordle 1,623 5/6

β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›β¬› SONAR remaining: 27 old/ 50 new/59 used
πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›β¬›β¬› 2/6/6
β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬› 0/2/1
β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ© 0/1/0
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

global mean: 4.238
 
I’m not particularly proud of my performance lately. I may be getting a little lazy (as anyone can infer from my participation record).

Wordle 1.623 5/6*

πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›β¬›β¬›
β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›β¬›
β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨β¬›
πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

3643FC1B-A6A5-4437-A767-5389DE2E6A94.webp
 
OmCheeto said:
I wouldn't call finishing the race in hard mode a failure.
Your post also prompted me to research what I consider to be the ideal hard mode seed word: CHUMP
[...]

(Emphasis mine)

I wanted to make some genius comeback to this but as I'm currently being lazy I simply can't be bothered. I just wanted to assure you that it didn't fly under the radar! :woot:

I'm very well versed in grownup workplace bullying. You'd think that crud stopped in elementary school but in fact it never stops. I don't know what's wrong with people.

Although, don't worry, I took this one as a humorous stab. o0)
 
sbrothy said:
(Emphasis mine)

I wanted to make some genius comeback to this but as I'm currently being lazy I simply can't be bothered. I just wanted to assure you that it didn't fly under the radar! :woot:

I'm very well versed in grownup workplace bullying. You'd think that crud stopped in elementary school but in fact it never stops. I don't know what's wrong with people.

Although, don't worry, I took this one as a humorous stab. o0)
Rather than getting all pissy, just try it. CHUMP! CHUMP! CHUMP!
 
Wordle 1,624 5/6

β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›β¬› AROSE remaining: 11 old(not!)/3 new(not!)/17 used(not!)
β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›β¬› 1/2/1
β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›β¬› 0/0/0
β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›β¬› 0/0/0
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Ouch. Spent a couple of hours yesterday playing in hard mode, seeing if my strategies would work. I forgot to turn off one of the filters and totally blew up my play today. Had the switch been off, I'd have had it in 3.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: edwardII and sbrothy
Wordle 1,624 5/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜
🟨⬜🟩⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Should have been able to get it in 4...
28180.webp
 
OmCheeto said:
Rather than getting all pissy, just try it. CHUMP! CHUMP! CHUMP!

Just to be β€œdifficult” (contraire if you will, being something French), I tried this:

:woot:

Wordle 1.624 5/6*

β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›
β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ¨
πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›
πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ¨β¬›
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

6CDA3DCB-0E0F-4B64-8241-AA032D6E3950.webp
 
Wordle 1,625 4/6

⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛ SNORE remaining: 88 old/ 73 new/ 149 used
β¬›β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ© 6/11/10
β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ© 0/1/1
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

global mean: 4.665

Oh, now this is interesting. Spoiler Alert!!!! I mock played in hard mode and got it in 3.
 
Wordle 1,626 4/6

β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬› SIREN remaining: 47 old/ 45 new/ 145 used
β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬› 2/3/15
πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ¨ 1/0/0
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

global mean: 3.978