Wordle Lovers - Play the NYT Daily Game

  • Thread starter Thread starter fresh_42
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Game
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
8,780 replies · 460K views
Wordle 1,374 3/6

πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ© [ARISE] 6 left: ABODE ALGAE AMAZE ANGLE ANKLE AWOKE
β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨ [KLONG] filter - 1 left
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 [ANGLE]

So I get the exact same gameplay as game #1372. In that game, I selected today's answer as my filter word. Today, I was less adventurous and I selected a guaranteed filter instead. :H
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Wordle 1 375 3/6

β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨
β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Very standard day. The actual remaining entropy after guess 1 was just 0.01 off from the EER …

But another milestone passed:

IMG_8645.jpeg


One month left to the 2-year streak!
 
Wordle 1,376 3/6

β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨ 32 left
⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛ 6 left
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 Avoiding politics and acknowledging humanity got me the answer.
 
Wordle 1 376 3/6

β¬›β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨
πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Super-vanilla. Usual seed. Top pick for remaining entropy on 2 (BETEL). Only one remaining for 3.
 
Wordle 1,377 6/6

⬜⬜🟨🟩🟨
⬜🟨⬜🟩🟩
🟩⬜🟩🟩🟩
🟩⬜🟩🟩🟩
🟩⬜🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

#GuessTheMovie #176
πŸŽ₯ πŸŸ₯ πŸŸ₯ πŸŸ₯ 🟩 ⬜ ⬜
πŸ•ΉοΈ#VisualVirtuosoπŸ•ΉοΈ
[Spam link deleted by the Mentors]
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Wordle 1 377 2/6

β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Not the best choice in terms of EER, there were three technically better (PESTO, SETUP, SLEPT) but the difference was minor (0.47 vs 0.63) and I preferred the degeneracies left by SHEET.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: OmCheeto and jack action
Orodruin said:
Wordle 1 377 2/6

β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Not the best choice in terms of EER, there were three technically better (PESTO, SETUP, SLEPT) but the difference was minor (0.47 vs 0.63) and I preferred the degeneracies left by SHEET.
Wow!
 
martinbn said:
Wow!
Sometimes you need to get lucky too! Somehow, I have been significantly luckier since I started applying the sheet (along with judgement calls when looking at the top choices). I now have 55 games played with the sheet and the following distribution of results for which guess solved it:
1743068850805.png

That's an 18% of solutions in 2 guesses.
 
Orodruin said:
Sometimes you need to get lucky too! Somehow, I have been significantly luckier since I started applying the sheet (along with judgement calls when looking at the top choices). I now have 55 games played with the sheet and the following distribution of results for which guess solved it:
View attachment 359036
That's an 18% of solutions in 2 guesses.
What do you mean by "applying the sheet"?
 
jack action said:
Wordle 1,377 3/6

β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨ [ARISE] 15 left
β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬› [PUNTO] filter - 2 left: SHEET SLEET
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 [SHEET] most-probable

most-probable method count update (Success/Fail): 70/38 - 64.8%/35.2%
Is the information in the spoiler available to you while you are solving it or do you get it after? Also why are just those two left? How was the word with a "w" in second position excluded?
 
martinbn said:
Is the information in the spoiler available to you while you are solving it or do you get it after?
This info comes after each guess from a program I made based on a list of possible answers found on the internet.
martinbn said:
Also why are just those two left?
The info from the first two guesses eliminates all possible answers but two.
martinbn said:
How was the word with a "w" in second position excluded?
What "w"?
 
jack action said:
This info comes after each guess from a program I made based on a list of possible answers found on the internet.

The info from the first two guesses eliminates all possible answers but two.
Hm, is that alowed? I thought the point was to only use your head.
jack action said:
What "w"?
Change the second letter of the answer to w, you get a word that fits and is not eliminated by your guesses.
 
martinbn said:
What do you mean by "applying the sheet"?
Using the results of my Google Sheet, which assigns scores to the remaining words based on the expected entropy remaining (EER) after using it as a guess.
 
martinbn said:
Hm, is that alowed? I thought the point was to only use your head.
Says who? People find joy in playing the game the way they enjoy it. If you enjoy playing without aids then thats fine. It obviously will not give scores comparable to people using aids.

As long as you are not ”competing” with others, whatever floats your boat goes.

martinbn said:
Change the second letter of the answer to w, you get a word that fits and is not eliminated by your guesses.
Then it has either already been used as an answer previously or is not in the NYT list of possible solutions.

Edit: In this case, it was the solution of Wordle #262
 
Last edited:
Should also say: It should not be surprising that a bunch of folks on a science forum that also enjoy Wordle science the crap out of it …
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: edwardII, jack action and OmCheeto
martinbn said:
Change the second letter of the answer to w, you get a word that fits and is not eliminated by your guesses.
Along the word Orodruin mentioned, there were an additional 7 other words that were eliminated because they were previous solutions: STEED, SMELT, CHEST, BESET, STYLE, THESE, & STEEL.

So @jack action improved his odds of getting the solution on his 3rd guess from 1 in 10 to 1 in 2.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: edwardII and jack action
Wait, one is supposed to know what's already been on and what's on the NYT list!

Also getting it with three guesses if you are using aids is not so impressive anymore.
 
martinbn said:
Wait, one is supposed to know what's already been on and what's on the NYT list!
https://www.fiveforks.com/wordle/
martinbn said:
Also getting it with three guesses if you are using aids is not so impressive anymore.
  • Getting it with one is pure luck;
  • Getting it in two is either a little luck or demands a lot of intuition (the Wordle word of the day is apparently selected by a human, which introduces some bias).
  • Getting it with three is most likely the minimum number of guesses required without luck involved (only one word remaining). According to this site, the worldwide average is 3.97. With his new method, @Orodruin 's results from this post are at an average of 3.13.
 
martinbn said:
Wait, one is supposed to know what's already been on and what's on the NYT list!

Also getting it with three guesses if you are using aids is not so impressive anymore.
So what? I don’t play to be impressive. I play to see how far you can push it using math and logic.

Also, it is not doing anything you cannot theoretically do with pen and paper (although it would take forever) and the list of solutions is publicly available, and I engineered and implemented the algorithm myself.

Most people will at least remember the solutions for the last week or so. Nothing prevents anyone from writing down and keeping a directory of used words.


jack action said:
Getting it with three is most likely the minimum number of guesses required without luck involved (only one word remaining).
I have had several 2s with only one word remaining after the seed. Of course, that is to some extent luck in the pick of seed, but then so is picking seed and second guess for getting it in three.