Wordle Lovers - Play the NYT Daily Game

  • Thread starter Thread starter fresh_42
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Game
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
8,778 replies · 458K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Wordle 1 382 3/6

β¬›β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨
β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ©
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

3s two days in a row with the worst and fourth worst starts. Pretty satisfied with that
 
Wordle 1,382 4/6

⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛ SATYR 122 left
πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›β¬› ELOIN 7 left
β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ© BEVEL 1 left {hybrid Omcheeto/Orodruin method}
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
 
Wordle 1,382 4/6

β¬›β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨ [ARISE] 52 left
β¬›β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ© [TONAL] filter - 4 left: BEZEL JEWEL LEVEL QUELL
β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ© [VOWEL] filter - 1 left
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 [JEWEL]

The filter proposed for my 3rd guess was WOOZY, which was not good enough. It took me forever to find a new one.
 
Wordle 1,382 6/6*

β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›
β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›
β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ©β¬›
β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ¨πŸŸ©β¬›
β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ©
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Screenshot from 2025-04-01 18-41-32.png
 
Wordle 1,383 4/6

β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ©β¬› ARTSY 6 left
β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ© 2
β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ© 1
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Orodruin said:
Bah!
Sorry to laugh, but...... BAH!

Accidentally [ctrl][v'd] instead of [ctrl][shift][v'ing].
There were over two dozen words I could have played for my second guess to guarantee a win in 3.
Another reminder to never play the game immediately after waking up from a 4 hour nap.
 
OmCheeto said:
There were over two dozen words I could have played for my second guess to guarantee a win in 3.
I could have played a filter out of the list of remaining words ... but with a list of 4 remaining words where 3 of them are β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ© to each other and filters to the 4th, I was the same expectation if doing it randomly ...
 
Good grief with only three words to chose from I picked number four.

Wordle 1,383 4/6

⬜⬜🟩🟩🟩
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
⬜⬜🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
 
Franky said:
"I’ve been playing Wordle daily, and one of the best strategies I use is starting with words that have a mix of common vowels and consonants, like "CRANE", "SLATE", or "AUDIO". This helps eliminate multiple possibilities early on.

Another effective trick is paying attention to letter patterns. If I get a green letter in the second position, I try to think of words that fit that structure instead of randomly guessing. Also, avoiding repeated letters in the first few attempts saves turns.
Does anyone else have a go-to strategy that works well for them?"
You will find that people here have generally have developed methods that go quite some distance beyond that, which is quite basic to be perfectly frank. My own is based on a hybrid between expected information gain (which is a well defined mathematical quantity) and occasionally applying selection based on human interference (essentially, taking into account that there is an editor behind it all). I have created a spreadsheet that does the hard lifting for me when it comes to computing expectations of guesses.

Franky said:
Also, avoiding repeated letters in the first few attempts saves turns.
This is not generally true. It depends on what the outcome of your first guesses are. Many times, including double letters will actually be preferable to not doing so - if you on average will get more information by doing so.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: OmCheeto and Franky
Franky said:
"I’ve been playing Wordle daily, and one of the best strategies I use is starting with words that have a mix of common vowels and consonants, like "CRANE", "SLATE", or "AUDIO". This helps eliminate multiple possibilities early on.

Another effective trick is paying attention to letter patterns. If I get a green letter in the second position, I try to think of words that fit that structure instead of randomly guessing. Also, avoiding repeated letters in the first few attempts saves turns.
Does anyone else have a go-to strategy that works well for them?"
I can't really blame you for not reading the entire thread. My favorites are "IRATE" and "AUREI".
 
Wordle 1,384 3/6

πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨ [ARISE] 4 left: SAFER SANER SHEAR SWEAR
β¬›β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨ [WINCH] filter - 1 left
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 [SHEAR]

My intuition has been off lately, so I'm playing safer. So I was tempted to play SAFER, but thank God I didn't!
 
Wordle 1,385 5/6

β¬›β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨ DEBAR 58
⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛ SCOUT 8
β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ©β¬› WRYLY 3 : OOPS! forgot to turn off some recently installed switches. Should have been GAWKY, guaranteeing a win in 4.
β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›β¬› GRAFF 1
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
 
jack action said:
...

@OmCheeto , may I ask how you select your seed? I see you change often.
This quarter, It's a rolling set of anagrams from the top 100 ranked seeds.
Examples:
LEAST & STEAL
SPARE & PARSE
RINSE & SIREN
ARSTY & SATYR
25 in total

I'm thinking of switching to a new group based on letter frequency lag. I haven't tried that yet. I've probably tried at least a half dozen methods so far. Of course, the worst was when I first started this weird game and used WEIRD as my seed for the first 250 games yielding an average score of 4.132. Then I switched to SLATE for the next 33 days and had an average of 3.576. Then I was all over the place with different types of word sets. Anagrams being the theme of the last 52 games, with an average of 3.404.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: edwardII and jack action