Wordle Lovers - Play the NYT Daily Game

  • Thread starter Thread starter fresh_42
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Game
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
8,777 replies · 457K views
OmCheeto said:
Wordle 1,510 2/6

πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ© RENAL 3
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
RENAL? Really?! :smile:
 
Physics news on Phys.org
TensorCalculus said:
:cry:
Wordle 1,510 X/6*

🟨⬜🟩⬜⬜AUREI
⬜🟨🟩⬜⬜PARTY
⬜🟩🟩🟩⬜HORAS
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩LORAL
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩MORAL
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩BORAL
Ouch! :frown:

Weird coincidence. Your first 2 attempts were the same as mine. Then we parted ways but met again at MORAL.

Bad luck though.

EDIT: Talk about vocabulary though. Yours just seem to be really specialized. I mean BORAL? Chemistry much? :smile:
 
sbrothy said:
RENAL? Really?! :smile:
It currently ranks # 8 on my list of best seeds.
Here are my top 15 letters.
601516470419409381359353340322319253245219206
EAROISLTYUNPCDM
Mix and match to get the best scores!

The numbers indicate the number of words which contain each letter.
Not to be confused with the total number of letters in all remaining words.
For instance, MAMMA contributes only a single M and A to the above table.

On a totally different topic, it now appears that there are β‰ˆ3168 words (past and future) on the solution list which means the last Wordle game will be around Feb 20, 2030.
 
  • Informative
Likes   Reactions: TensorCalculus
OmCheeto said:
It currently ranks # 8 on my list of best seeds.
Here are my top 15 letters.
601516470419409381359353340322319253245219206
EAROISLTYUNPCDM
Mix and match to get the best scores!

The numbers indicate the number of words which contain each letter.
Not to be confused with the total number of letters in all remaining words.
For instance, MAMMA contributes only a single M and A to the above table.

On a totally different topic, it now appears that there are β‰ˆ3168 words (past and future) on the solution list which means the last Wordle game will be around Feb 20, 2030.
I see. It more or less follows the letter frequency table apart from the fact that you keep track of which words have gone and which are left. Still RENAL as a seed?! I had to look it up of course. I dunno why I expected something dirty. Perhaps because it alliterates a little with RECTAL. :smile:
 
  • Agree
Likes   Reactions: TensorCalculus
sbrothy said:
Ouch! :frown:

Weird coincidence. Your first 2 attempts were the same as mine. Then we parted ways but met again at MORAL.

Bad luck though.

EDIT: Talk about vocabulary though. Yours just seem to be really specialized. I mean BORAL? Chemistry much? :smile:

Oh, and BTW... It goes without saying I had to look up BORAL too!

So you can, needless to say, learn me a ton of new words. Especially all those natives take for granted. Names of common animals like "Daddy long legs", toys like "backhoe", and of course common kitchen and garden utensils and so forth..
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: TensorCalculus
sbrothy said:
I see. It more or less follows the letter frequency table apart from the fact that you keep track of which words have gone and which are left. Still RENAL as a seed?! I had to look it up of course. I dunno why I expected something dirty. Perhaps because it alliterates a little with RECTAL. :smile:
I worked in a hospital for the last 30 years before I retired.
I would be surprised if I hadn't learned the term within the first week.

From a database(outputfile.txt) I managed for about 20 years:
*Renal Transplant Surgery (UH) CB569 4/09/2001 cweb oa​
*Pacific Northwest Renal Services Cb569 11/12/1999 Mq320​
*Pediatric Renal Clinic (DCH) DC7S 4/09/2001 oa​
 
  • Wow
Likes   Reactions: TensorCalculus
sbrothy said:
Ouch! :frown:

Weird coincidence. Your first 2 attempts were the same as mine. Then we parted ways but met again at MORAL.

Bad luck though.

EDIT: Talk about vocabulary though. Yours just seem to be really specialized. I mean BORAL? Chemistry much? :smile:
oh yeah! That is cool! Great minds think alike :D
Oh no, I forgot that the word CORAL existed, so I was just trying out every single letter before the ending -ORAL till something worked haha
sbrothy said:
I see. It more or less follows the letter frequency table apart from the fact that you keep track of which words have gone and which are left. Still RENAL as a seed?! I had to look it up of course. I dunno why I expected something dirty. Perhaps because it alliterates a little with RECTAL. :smile:
Oh, same! Except I didn't have the audacity to look it up, partly because I was on my school laptop :woot: .
 
Wordle 1,511 4/6

β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›β¬› RELAY 300
β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›β¬› OINTS 5
β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ© CHIDE 1
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: TensorCalculus
Wordle 1.511 3/6*

β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›
πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ©
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

69A29896-A2C3-4CC6-B637-D688756468A3.webp
 
  • Wow
Likes   Reactions: TensorCalculus
I've been stuck staring at the wordle for 30mins straight....
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: sbrothy, OmCheeto and edwardII
TensorCalculus said:
I've been stuck staring at the wordle for 30mins straight....

Just gotta jump in there! :smile:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: TensorCalculus
TensorCalculus said:
I've been stuck staring at the wordle for 30mins straight....
Would you like someone to inoculate you with a clue?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: TensorCalculus and sbrothy
OmCheeto said:
Would you like someone to inoculate you with a clue?
Give her one of your seed words! :woot:
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: TensorCalculus and OmCheeto
Not so impressive this time:

Wordle 1,512 6/6

πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›β¬›β¬›
β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›
β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ¨
πŸŸ¨πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›
β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ©
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Screenshot (3).webp
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: TensorCalculus
Wordle 1,512 3/6

β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬› PARSE 14
πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ¨ SILVA 2
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
 
  • Wow
Likes   Reactions: TensorCalculus
OmCheeto said:
Would you like someone to inoculate you with a clue?
I wish you had: but I ended up giving up and going to sleep before reading that message :( (okay, my mom made me go to sleep because she realised that I hadn't slept more than 5 hours the past week but we'll ignore that)
IMBUE... how did I not see it?!

Time for today's wordle (but first, brunch :D)
 
Guess yesterday's bad wordle came back today in the form of quite a bit of luck :D

Wordle 1,512 3/6*

🟨⬜⬜⬜⬜AUREI
🟩🟩🟩⬜⬜NASTY
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩NASAL
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: sbrothy, OmCheeto and edwardII
TensorCalculus said:
Guess yesterday's bad wordle came back today in the form of quite a bit of luck :D
...
I still find it fascinating how much luck is involved in this game.
As far as I can tell, Orodruin, Jack Action and I created the worlds best algorithm to get the lowest possible score.
Yet, I'm currently only able to beat non-Bworgles at a ratio of 6 to 1.

Om vs the Worldle 2025-08-09 at 12.53.38.webp


Reminds me of what Captain Picard once said; β€œIt is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness; that is life.”
 
  • Like
  • Informative
Likes   Reactions: TensorCalculus, sbrothy and edwardII
OmCheeto said:
I still find it fascinating how much luck is involved in this game.
As far as I can tell, Orodruin, Jack Action and I created the worlds best algorithm to get the lowest possible score.
Yet, I'm currently only able to beat non-Bworgles at a ratio of 6 to 1.

View attachment 364218

Reminds me of what Captain Picard once said; β€œIt is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness; that is life.”

Also Murphy's Law:

"If something can go wrong it will go wrong!"

Corollary:

"If something that cannot go wrong goes wrong, it will be impossible to repair!"

EDIT: Hah. There's a ton of corollaries:

"Mrs. Murphy's law" is a corollary of Murphy's law, which states that "Anything that can go wrong will go wrong while Mr. Murphy is out of town."
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: TensorCalculus and edwardII
This is interesting:

Per some reddit smartypantser from about a year ago;
"The best Wordle algorithm to date has a 3.42 average, and that is literally using super computers to do predictive analytics."​

My average over the last 100 games is 3.21.

hmmm.....
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: edwardII and sbrothy
Wordle 1,513 3/6

β¬›β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨ LEAST 53
β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨πŸŸ©πŸŸ© UNITY 2
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: TensorCalculus
OmCheeto said:
I still find it fascinating how much luck is involved in this game.
As far as I can tell, Orodruin, Jack Action and I created the worlds best algorithm to get the lowest possible score.
Yet, I'm currently only able to beat non-Bworgles at a ratio of 6 to 1.

View attachment 364218

Reminds me of what Captain Picard once said; β€œIt is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness; that is life.”
more graphs :woot: my favourite
definitely lots of luck involved: of course you can always maximise your chances, but there is still a factor of luck...
random question: is "bworgles" just a word that you guys use? I remember @sbrothy using the word once too (or maybe that was "borgles": my memory is failing me) but I can't find anything online about the word:
1754843483785.webp

sbrothy said:
Also Murphy's Law:

"If something can go wrong it will go wrong!"

Corollary:

"If something that cannot go wrong goes wrong, it will be impossible to repair!"

EDIT: Hah. There's a ton of corollaries:

"Mrs. Murphy's law" is a corollary of Murphy's law, which states that "Anything that can go wrong will go wrong while Mr. Murphy is out of town."
Love that law: it's so true as well :cry:
OmCheeto said:
This is interesting:

Per some reddit smartypantser from about a year ago;
"The best Wordle algorithm to date has a 3.42 average, and that is literally using super computers to do predictive analytics."​

My average over the last 100 games is 3.21.

hmmm.....
little bit of luck maybe?
Or just redittors being plain wrong again. Wouldn't be the first time.

I got lucky again today, heck, it looks like I cheated:

Wordle 1,513 3/6*

⬜⬜⬜⬜🟨AUREI
⬜🟩⬜⬜🟨PILOT
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩MINTY
 
sbrothy said:
Ah well.

Wordle 1,513 4/6*

β¬›β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨
β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›
πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ©
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
guess #3 was soooo close... :(
 
OmCheeto said:
This is interesting:

Per some reddit smartypantser from about a year ago;
"The best Wordle algorithm to date has a 3.42 average, and that is literally using super computers to do predictive analytics."​

My average over the last 100 games is 3.21.

hmmm.....
Orodruin and jack action also bested the 'super computers'' average score according to their last 100 posts:

3.10 Orodruin
3.29 jack action

Not sure how familiar people are with 'Wordlebot'. It's a New York Times algorithm that plays the game daily. While its scores indicate it's a very good algorithm, it's hobbled by the fact that it is forced to play the entire list of past and future solutions, and hence, over the last 100 games, has an average score of:
3.61

This would indicate the advantage of being able to eliminate past answers.
TensorCalculus said:
random question: is "bworgles" just a word that you guys use?

It's from an ever evolving list of portmanteaus that I create from 'Borg' and 'Wordle'.

Like the Borg, I've had a love of assimilating knowledge from others for pretty much my entire adult life. Before I was an adolt, I was mostly self(aka book) edumatated.
 
  • Informative
Likes   Reactions: TensorCalculus
Hey guys. A few months ago, I found out that Linux users can play a Wordle-like game called Warble, so if one has Ubuntu and is on a plane without Wi-Fi, one can still hone in his/her Worde skills. This free and open source clone has 5000 words, and is open source. My only complaint is that it sometimes struggles to load.

https://itsfoss.com/wordle-game-linux/
 
  • Informative
Likes   Reactions: TensorCalculus