Wordle Lovers - Play the NYT Daily Game

  • Thread starter Thread starter fresh_42
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Game
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
8,778 replies · 458K views
OmCheeto said:
Orodruin and jack action also bested the 'super computers'' average score according to their last 100 posts:

3.10 Orodruin
3.29 jack action

Not sure how familiar people are with 'Wordlebot'. It's a New York Times algorithm that plays the game daily. While its scores indicate it's a very good algorithm, it's hobbled by the fact that it is forced to play the entire list of past and future solutions, and hence, over the last 100 games, has an average score of:
3.61

This would indicate the advantage of being able to eliminate past answers.
Oh. I forgot about eliminating past answers.
I have heard of wordlebot but I didn't know what it did (my guess was that it solved wordle though): 3.61 is... yeah probably just a mixture of not eliminating past answers and maybe a bit of bad luck? Dunno.
OmCheeto said:
It's from an ever evolving list of portmanteaus that I create from 'Borg' and 'Wordle'.

Like the Borg, I've had a love of assimilating knowledge from others for pretty much my entire adult life. Before I was an adolt, I was mostly self(aka book) edumatated.
Ah. That makes more sense.
I like the word assimilating. I had to Google the meaning but I think it's a cool word :)
Edu... matated?
AlexB23 said:
Hey guys. A few months ago, I found out that Linux users can play a Wordle-like game called Warble, so if one has Ubuntu and is on a plane without Wi-Fi, one can still hone in his/her Worde skills. This free and open source clone has 5000 words, and is open source. My only complaint is that it sometimes struggles to load.

https://itsfoss.com/wordle-game-linux/
Ohhh interesting!
I kind of want to try making one of these myself (but first I need to finish my wordle cheater bot... and a lot of other things...)
My friend is actually making a wordle clone too called Anydle: it's an android app and it's quite neat :D!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
TensorCalculus said:
Oh. I forgot about eliminating past answers.
I have heard of wordlebot but I didn't know what it did (my guess was that it solved wordle though): 3.61 is... yeah probably just a mixture of not eliminating past answers and maybe a bit of bad luck? Dunno.

Ah. That makes more sense.
I like the word assimilating. I had to Google the meaning but I think it's a cool word :)
Edu... matated?

Ohhh interesting!
I kind of want to try making one of these myself (but first I need to finish my wordle cheater bot... and a lot of other things...)
My friend is actually making a wordle clone too called Anydle: it's an android app and it's quite neat :D!
Yeah, the clone is interesting. Good luck with you and your friend making clones. I have no idea how to do that.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: TensorCalculus
AlexB23 said:
Yeah, the clone is interesting. Good luck with you and your friend making clones. I have no idea how to do that.
It's probably easier than you think!
The difficult part is saving progress/making accounts with usernames and passwords: the actual making of the game is, or so my friend claims, quite simple (but then again, I've always had some sort of love for frontend so I am more amiable to frontend then backend... maybe it comes from my love for art)
 
TensorCalculus said:
It's probably easier than you think!
The difficult part is saving progress/making accounts with usernames and passwords: the actual making of the game is, or so my friend claims, quite simple (but then again, I've always had some sort of love for frontend so I am more amiable to frontend then backend... maybe it comes from my love for art)
I am not a programmer
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: TensorCalculus
AlexB23 said:
I am not a programmer
I know - you're saying you have absolutely no idea how to make it
It's not too bad: I promise. Another of my friends made a wordle clone in python (was it minus the UI? Did you have to type into the terminal? Sure. But did it work? Yep) literally as her first ever project, after 3 lessons on python. It didn't have all the visuals but the underlying logic of the game was there.
 
TensorCalculus said:
I know - you're saying you have absolutely no idea how to make it
It's not too bad: I promise. Another of my friends made a wordle clone in python (was it minus the UI? Did you have to type into the terminal? Sure. But did it work? Yep) literally as her first ever project, after 3 lessons on python. It didn't have all the visuals but the underlying logic of the game was there.
Cool stuff
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: TensorCalculus
Wordle 1,514 3/6*

⬛🟨⬛⬛🟨
⬛⬛🟨🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Screenshot (5).webp
 
Wordle 1,514 2/6

⬛⬛⬛🟨⬛ ANISE 60 left
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 Well, if that isn't luck, I don't know what is.

Interestingly, I just looked at the letters, ranked in order of most numerous, and there was the answer:
S U O Y T H P C K L R
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: edwardII and sbrothy
Guess my lucky streak has ended :(
I mean... guesses #2, #3 and #4 couldn't have been right anyway.... don't know what I was thinking there...

Wordle 1,514 5/6*

⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜AUREI
⬜🟨🟨🟩⬜MUSTY
⬜🟨⬜🟩🟨PUNTS
🟩⬜🟩🟩⬜SLUTS
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩SOUTH
 
My solutions look like they were done by Bob the Builder. :biggrin:

Wordle 1,514 4/6

🟨⬜⬜🟨⬜
🟩🟨🟩⬜⬜
🟩🟨🟩⬜🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
 
Last edited by a moderator:
TensorCalculus said:
Guess my lucky streak has ended :(
I mean... guesses #2, #3 and #4 couldn't have been right anyway.... don't know what I was thinking there...

Wordle 1,514 5/6*

⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜AUREI
⬜🟨🟨🟩⬜MUSTY
⬜🟨⬜🟩🟨PUNTS
🟩⬜🟩🟩⬜SLUTS
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩SOUTH
Not sure why, but 2 thru 4 look strike me as the rhymey words whispered by 14 year old girls at the school lunchroom table. Quite naughty, but understandably, fun and humorous, at that age.
 
OmCheeto said:
Not sure why, but 2 thru 4 look strike me as the rhymey words whispered by 14 year old girls at the school lunchroom table. Quite naughty, but understandably, fun and humorous, at that age.
Considering the fact that I'm a 14 year old girl, that might actually make sense :woot:
 
Was reading a book with this word in it just before doing the wordle... so I thought I might as well give it a shot... I guess it worked!
Wordle 1,515 3/6*

⬜⬜🟨🟨⬜CRANE
⬜🟨🟨🟨⬜SANDY
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩NOMAD
 
Guess #2 was a little lazy...

EDIT: In fact I thought "hard mode" prevented me from doing stupid things like that.

Wordle 1,515 3/6*

🟨⬛🟨⬛🟨
⬛🟩🟨🟩⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Screenshot (6).webp
 
  • Wow
Likes   Reactions: TensorCalculus
OK, that was a tricky one. Wrong time to try out new seed words, that's for sure.

EDIT: And why I try Z before F I'll never know. Even without looking at the letter frequency table I know that's wrong.

Wordle 1,516 5/6*

⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
⬛🟩⬛⬛⬛
⬛🟩⬛⬛🟩
⬛🟩⬛🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Screenshot (7).webp
 
  • Wow
Likes   Reactions: TensorCalculus
Wordle 1,516 3/6

⬛🟨🟨⬛🟨 37 left
⬛🟩⬛🟨⬛ 0 left!
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 Phew! Had to chose from 4 words in the 'not valid solutions list'.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: TensorCalculus and edwardII
Guess #3 was a bit lazy
Wordle 1,516 4/6*

⬜⬜🟨🟨🟨 AUREI
⬜🟨🟨⬜🟨 PRICE
🟨🟨⬜🟨⬜ RINES
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 KEFIR
 
Not even in my old dictionary ?:) I finally found it in the scrabble dictionary.

Wordle 1,516 4/6

⬜⬜🟨⬜🟨
🟨🟩⬜🟩⬜
⬜🟩🟨🟩⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
 
  • Haha
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: OmCheeto and TensorCalculus
dwarde said:
Not even in my old dictionary ?:) I finally found it in the scrabble dictionary.

Wordle 1,516 4/6

⬜⬜🟨⬜🟨
🟨🟩⬜🟩⬜
⬜🟩🟨🟩⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
I've seen so many ads for Kefir Yoghurt that it's not even a weird word to me :cry:
 
Wordle 1,517 4/6

⬛⬛⬛⬛🟨 ORATE 66
⬛⬛🟨🟨🟨 SILEN 3
🟨🟨⬛🟩⬛ NEWLY 1
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

A bit of a tough one today, with a global average of 4.625.
 
  • Wow
Likes   Reactions: edwardII and TensorCalculus
Tough one this:

Wordle 1.517 5/6*

⬛⬛⬛⬛🟨
⬛⬛🟩⬛⬛
⬛⬛🟩🟩⬛
⬛⬛🟩🟩⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

436D812C-28DE-4223-98AD-2563FD57ACAF.webp
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: TensorCalculus
Had to search up the meaning of this one
Wordle 1,517 5/6*

⬜🟨⬜⬜🟨PLACE
⬜🟨🟨⬜🟨MELON
🟨⬜🟨🟨⬜LINES
🟩🟩🟩🟩⬜KNELT
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩KNELL
 
I initially thought that it meant those annoying burning plants (nettles) but after looking it up, I must admit I didn't understand it either.
 
Ouch I think I sprained something on this one.

Wordle 1,517 5/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜🟨
⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜🟩⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: TensorCalculus and OmCheeto
dwarde said:
Ouch I think I sprained something on this one.
If it's any consolation, most people got it in 5.

ps.

Wordle 1,518 4/6

⬛⬛⬛🟩⬛
⬛⬛⬛🟨⬛
⬛🟩⬛🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
 
  • Wow
Likes   Reactions: TensorCalculus
My root word was obviously not the best root word ever, but I thought it would be fitting for today:

Wordle 1,518 5/6*

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜INDIA
⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜MUSTY
⬜⬜⬜⬜🟨PROBE
⬜⬜🟨⬜⬜CHECK
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩LEVEL

I think guess #5 was luck. Dunno, I guessed tons of combinations of letters that wounded like words till something worked.