Wordle Lovers - Play the NYT Daily Game

  • Thread starter Thread starter fresh_42
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Game
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
8,778 replies · 458K views
dwarde said:
Dancing all around it.

Wordle 1,524 5/6

🟨⬜⬜⬜🟨
🟨🟨⬜⬜🟨
⬜⬜🟨🟨🟨
🟨⬜🟨🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
Like a golden shower of nonsense.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark and edwardII
Physics news on Phys.org
Wordle 1,525 3/6

β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬› OARED 12 left
β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›πŸŸ© GRIPY 2 left
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
 
  • Wow
Likes   Reactions: TensorCalculus
Yeah, this one was easier. Was lucky with the start word too.

Wordle 1.525 3/6*

β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨πŸŸ©β¬›
β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ¨πŸŸ©πŸŸ©
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

3B15AEF5-EC8C-4468-99F1-A7BF57D4F13A.webp
 
  • Wow
Likes   Reactions: TensorCalculus
Guess #3 was a little lucky, but us kids use this word all the time :-)

Wordle 1,525 3/6*

🟨⬜🟨⬜⬜AUREI
⬜🟨🟨⬜🟨GRANT
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩RATTY
 
Holy cow, I was just trying to place the letters in the word.

Wordle 1,525 2/6

🟨🟩🟨⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
 
  • Wow
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: TensorCalculus, OmCheeto and sbrothy
I am happy to report that I finally completed the task I undertook in February and announced in post #6,496.
Here is a summary of what I did, what I observed and what I concluded.

What I did
  • Devise an initial filter of the same 4 five-letter words and use it to separate the list of 12792 five-letter words into subgroups.
  • Assume that all words have equal probability of being the target, i.e. ignore "previously used" words.
  • After this initial separation, use additional filters to reduce a subgroup into sub-subgroups until reduction to a subngroup of 1 word.
  • Assign a score equal to the total number of filter words used to determine the target with 100% certainty. An exception to this was the 50-50 subgroup: If, after N filters there were only 2 words in a subgroup in which case there is an equal probability for a score of N+1 or N+2, I assigned an in-between score of (N+1).5.
  • I used CARED BEWIG LUMPY KNOTS, in that order, for the initial filter. It was applied sequentially to the entire list. The only exceptions were the filter words themselves. To BEWIG LUMPY KNOTS, I assigned respective scores of 2, 3 and 4 without further ado. In the case of CARED, I considered the 12 members of subgroup _ ARED and found paths to all the members with CARED as the initial guess. The scores varied from 3 to 5.5 except the starting CARED to which I assigned the one and only score of 1 in the entire list.
What I found out
The bottom line is that, using the 4-word filter presented above, it is possible that paths to all 12792 words can be found with no more than 7 filter words. However, the probability for that to happen is 50-50. That's because there one subgroup which is highly degenerate and well-populated. It is the _ E _ TS subgroup,
FESTS FETTS HEFTS HESTS JESTS SETTS SEXTS TESTS TEXTS VESTS ZESTS
Using FISHY as filter 5, separates subgroups as follows
one-word {FESTS} {FETTS} {HEFTS} {HESTS}
three-word {SETTS SEXTS TEXTS}
four-word {JESTS TESTS VESTS ZESTS}
The one-word subgroups are solved with one additional identity filter 6 for a score of 6.
The three-word subgroup is solved with filter 6 TEXTS for a score of 6 or 7.
There is no 5-letter word that can be used to solve the four-word subgroup for a score of 7. The best that one do is to use a word that contains V and Z, e.g. VIZIR, for filter 6 to get VESTS or ZESTS for a score of 7. This leaves the two-word subgroup, {JESTS TESTS} and one guess left. The solution with one additional guess is possible if one is lucky but not guaranteed. Thus, the two words are assigned a score of 7.5 each. I should note that these are the only words that do not have a guaranteed solution with no more than 7 guesses.

Summary
Screen Shot 2025-08-22 at 4.00.30 PM.webp
The table on the right summarizes the results from this survey. It shows that the brute force use of this 4-word filter is sufficient to solve more than 70% of the 12,792 words with one additional guess, the identity filter. The scores below 5 belong exclusively to the _ARED group as explained above.

An example is the last word on the list, ZYMIC that has a score of 5. Who would have thought it? However a closer look shows that for this word
  • ABDEGKLNOPRSTUW are excluded
  • M and I appear in the correct position
  • C is in but not in position 1 and Y is in but not in position 5.
which is sufficient to produce a one-word subgroup. In fact all words that start with Z are 5 pointers.

Afterthoughts
I spent considerable time on the initial filter design to maximize hits and using letters only once. Eventually, though, I thought that it would be a good idea to use E twice in positions 2 and 5 and sacrifice H. Is there a better filter than this out there? I don't know, but at least I have provided a table that can be used as a benchmark in case someone else gets the same idea and has the time.
 
  • Wow
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: sbrothy, TensorCalculus, OmCheeto and 2 others
Wordle 1,526 3/6

β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬› SANER 40
β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ© LOGIN 1
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: TensorCalculus
OK, that was really scatterbrained. Don't know what I was thinking in guess #2.

Wordle 1,526 4/6*

β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨
πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›
β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨β¬›
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Screenshot (15).webp

EDIT: Also, inspired by the post above I added the official wordle word list to the sourceforge wcheat repo. Don't know why I was using the complete Collins Scrabble list. Again scatterbrained.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: TensorCalculus
TensorCalculus said:
Uhhhh
Wordle 1,526 4/6*

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜ SPACE
⬜🟨🟨⬜⬜ RUNTY
🟨🟨🟨⬜⬜ MOULD
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 UNION

Courageous start word! :smile:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: TensorCalculus
sbrothy said:
Courageous start word! :smile:
It's one of my favourite words :)
 
OUCH!

Wordle 1,527 X/6*

β¬›β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨
β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›β¬›
β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ©
β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ©
πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ©
πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ©

Screenshot (16).webp

EDIT: Oops. Sorry.
 
  • Sad
Likes   Reactions: TensorCalculus
Wordle 1,527 4/6

πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›β¬› RENAL 91
πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬› ODIST 4
🟨🟨🟨🟨🟨 POSER 1
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Drats! Had I used my seed from yesterday, I would have had a 50/50 chance of getting it in two.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: TensorCalculus
Same root word, drastically different results :)
Wordle 1,527 3/6*

🟩🟩⬜⬜🟩 SPACE
🟩🟩🟩⬜🟩 SPOKE
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 SPORE
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: sbrothy and OmCheeto
dwarde said:
I tripped all over that second letter.

Wordle 1,527 6/6

⬜⬜🟨🟨🟩
🟩⬜🟩🟩🟩
🟩⬜🟩🟩🟩
🟩⬜🟩🟩🟩
🟩⬜🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
Quite a bit of bad luck as there are only 7 accepted words with that pattern.
Interestingly, SMORE is only one not on my list of valid solutions. One of my lady friends is a smoreaholic.
 
Wordle 1,528 3/6

πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›β¬›β¬› RELAY 77
πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›β¬› TORUS 2
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: TensorCalculus and sbrothy
WHAT.
Wordle 1,528 2/6*

⬜⬜🟩⬜🟨AUREI
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩MIRTH
 
Got a little lucky at the end there I think.

Wordle 1.529 4/6*

πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›β¬›β¬›
πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›β¬›β¬›
πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

E23FC092-E20F-41EA-9DAF-AAF3259548B8.webp
 
Another I've-been-staring-at-it-for-30mins day. But I'm not losing my streak.

So I'll stare at it a bit longer.
 
Wordle 1,530 3/6

β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ¨ PARSE 86
β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨ DICOT 2
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: TensorCalculus
Gah I forgot to post yesterday's wordle (I went to sleep immediately after so... that's my excuse). It was 5/6, I'll try and remember the words and post it later if I can 😭

Wordle 1,530 4/6*

β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›ATOMS
β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ¨πŸŸ©β¬›NOTED
πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ©TOPER: I had no idea what this meant but now I've searched it up... welp... oh well.
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩TOWER
 
Wordle 1.530 1/6*

🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Screenshot_20250827-130854_Chrome.webp

I didn't cheat, not intentionally that is. I did initially solve it without logging in, and sunsequently logging in didn't help. So I just wrote the solution, which makes me look really hardcore. Truth be told though it took me 4 guesses. :woot:
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: TensorCalculus
Bahaha getting the wordle in one... that brings back memories...

Back a couple of years ago when wordle had really blown up (and was seen everywhere) I had realised that all of the wordle solutions were hardcoded into the website's code.

So then I played this "magic trick" on my friends a couple of times where I would "magically" guess what tomorrow's wordle solution would be, and I would be right every time (and also stunned them every time). They never figured it out :woot:. I stopped after a week or so though because... well... who likes ruining the wordle for themselves (and, their friends, though they seemed to care more about the fact that they had a friend that could predict the future than the fact that they just had the wordle spoiled for them) just to play a trick on some of their friends?