Wordle Lovers - Play the NYT Daily Game
- Thread starter fresh_42
- Start date
-
- Tags
- Game
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
8,778 replies · 457K views
Physics news on Phys.org
- 2,188
- 2,694
Wordle 409 5/6

























- 20,819
- 28,467
Wordle 409 4/6




















- 2,188
- 2,694
Wordle 410 3/6















- 22,832
- 14,880
Well, nothing super specialβ¦
Wordle 410 4/6




















Wordle 410 4/6
- 16,098
- 9,306
I am a newbie here having been hooked only a couple of weeks ago. I wish to develop my own strategy for this before I compare with other strategies. I am still in the stage of development, but so far it looks good. In short, I have adopted a process of elimination. It focuses on exclusions from the list of 12972 five-letter words in "hard" mode, i.e. "Any revealed hints must be used in subsequent guesses". I will share my findings once I become convinced that the logic and procedure work. This will require some field-testing.
Wordle 410 3/6*















Wordle 410 3/6*
Last edited:
BWV
- 1,690
- 2,023
Wordle 410 X/6






























- 20,819
- 28,467
Wordle 410 5/6

























- 22,832
- 14,880
I canβt decide whether to admire the artistery or report for obscenityβ¦BWV said:Wordle 410 X/6
![]()
- 2,188
- 2,694
Wordle 411 5/6

























- 16,098
- 9,306
Wordle 411 3/6*















- 20,819
- 28,467
Wordle 412 5/6

























- 16,098
- 9,306
Wordle 412 6/6*






























- 22,832
- 14,880
Phew
Wordle 412 6/6






























Wordle 412 6/6
- 16,098
- 9,306
You and I share too few attempts at 412.Orodruin said:Phew
Wordle 412 6/6
![]()
- 20,819
- 28,467
Wordle 413 3/6















- 22,832
- 14,880
Better than yesterday
Wordle 413 3/6















Wordle 413 3/6
- 16,098
- 9,306
Wordle 413 2/6*










It occurred to me that if one thinks that getting three letters in the correct place after one attempt is a dream come true, one better think again lest this dream turn into a nightmare. Say you get _ R I _ E.
I could think of 20 common words that fit. I have not figured out the shortest path to each of the words and I hope I will not have to.
It occurred to me that if one thinks that getting three letters in the correct place after one attempt is a dream come true, one better think again lest this dream turn into a nightmare. Say you get _ R I _ E.
I could think of 20 common words that fit. I have not figured out the shortest path to each of the words and I hope I will not have to.
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 2,408
- 5,259
If your next word was a word like paint, it would narrow things down greatly.kuruman said:Wordle 413 2/6*
It occurred to me that if one thinks that getting three letters in the correct place after one attempt is a dream come true, one better think again lest this dream turn into a nightmare. Say you get _ R I _ E.
I could think of 20 common words that fit. I have not figured out the shortest path to each of the words and I hope I will not have to.
View attachment 305440
- 16,098
- 9,306
Yes, that would narrow things down. However, I have decided to set the appropriate switch to "hard" mode which forces the use of any revealed hints in subsequent guesses. My decision was based mostly on philosophical reasons. You might think I'm silly, but if one views entering a word as a working hypothesis of what the target word could be, then that hypothesis better fit the facts that are already known. It goes against my grain to propose a hypothesis that I know a priori as incorrect. The Edisonian approach is viable in Wordle because there is a limited amount of solutions. I am trying to see how far the scientific approach can take me.Borg said:If your next word was a word like paint, it would narrow things down greatly.
- 22,832
- 14,880
Ah, but the aim is not to guess the correct word immediately but to gain information. As such it is not necessarily about making the guess you think may be correct but the guess that you think will give you the most information.kuruman said:You might think I'm silly, but if one views entering a word as a working hypothesis of what the target word could be, then that hypothesis better fit the facts that are already known. It goes against my grain to propose a hypothesis that I know a priori as incorrect. The Edisonian approach is viable in Wordle because there is a limited amount of solutions. I am trying to see how far the scientific approach can take me.
- 2,188
- 2,694
Wordle 413 6/6






























- 16,098
- 9,306
My decision is based on philosophical belief. I cannot propose a hypothesis for how things are when I am certain that it does not fit the already known observations. If one acted this way as a professional scientist, it would be catastrophic to one's reputation and career. Maybe it's just me, but I don't see why I should alter my methodology when I amuse myself with puzzles. Besides, I am not convinced (yet) that not using a known but misplaced letter in the next guess provides more information than using it but in a different position. That's something that I hope to settle.Orodruin said:Ah, but the aim is not to guess the correct word immediately but to gain information. As such it is not necessarily about making the guess you think may be correct but the guess that you think will give you the most information.