Wordle Lovers - Play the NYT Daily Game

• Thread starter fresh_42
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Game
In summary, the player played the New York Times daily word game and found that they had a higher fail rate in playing against Spanish-speaking humans. They also mentioned that the game is similar to a board game they remember from their childhood.
Borek said:
In case you missed.

It is not like CRANE completely blows other openers out of the water though iirc. I’m pretty happy with my cover-all-vowels double opener.

Pretty happy with today’s Spanish. Didn’t have to use my standard double opener even 😀

Wordle (ES) #195 2/6

⬜🟩🟩⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Physics news on Phys.org
Orodruin said:
It is not like CRANE completely blows other openers out of the water though iirc.

It is less about the CRANE, more about the systematic approach based on some serious science.

I play Polish version, I admit to help myself quite often with some fancy grep commands.

Wordle 397 3/6

🟩🟨🟨⬜⬜
🟩⬜⬜🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Probably more good luck than good strategy.

Likes fresh_42
Wordle 397 5/6

⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜
🟨⬜🟨⬜⬜
⬜🟨⬜⬜🟨
⬜🟨🟩🟨🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I hate it when they plunder zoology. That's rather mean for non-native speakers.

Likes Wrichik Basu
fresh_42 said:
I hate it when they plunder zoology. That's rather mean for non-native speakers.
I suggest not trying octordle’s animal challenges then 😁

I was completely defeated by wordle from some few weeks back, when the answer was
hutch
I had all but the first letter, and two guesses left. Turns out, there were at least two other accepted words, none of which I've ever heard before
mutch, Kutch
All three seemed like such bull words I had to put the thing aside for a while.

Bandersnatch said:
I was completely defeated by wordle from some few weeks back, when the answer was
hutch
I had all but the first letter, and two guesses left. Turns out, there were at least two other accepted words, none of which I've ever heard before
mutch, Kutch
All three seemed like such bull words I had to put the thing aside for a while.
In those cases, I burn a word that has two or more of the possible letters. If one of them hits, you know which letter is correct. Otherwise it's one of the remaining ones.

BTW, I don't burn all of the vowels in the first two words. I have three starting words that have 15 different letters. I wouldn't be able to do that if I used all of the vowels before the third word.

Borg said:
In those cases, I burn a word that has two or more of the possible letters. If one of them hits, you know which letter is correct. Otherwise it's one of the remaining ones.

BTW, I don't burn all of the vowels in the first two words. I have three starting words that have 15 different letters. I wouldn't be able to do that if I used all of the vowels before the third word.
Yeah, I do that when I can see more viable answers than tries left. But, you see, I looked at those four letters, figured there can't be more than one obscure word left possible, and started to plug in each remaining letter to see which one will stick.

fresh_42 said:
Agreed.

Bandersnatch said:
hutch
I would like to commend them on their wonderful choice. I've never been a WORDLE before

• Haha
Likes Wrichik Basu, Bandersnatch and Orodruin
OmCheeto said:
Right now it's 11 pm-ish where I'm at. I already played Wordle this morning and it shows that I've played. I next reset the time zone on my laptop such that it now reads 2 am tomorrow. Wordle offered me tomorrows game. Hence, I strongly suspect Wordle uses the date stamp supplied by your own device.

Yup. I just changed my date to July 8th, as I was out of town that day and missed the game. I checked what the word was and remembered what it was and hence:

Wordle 384 1/6

🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

And, I've now set my clock and calendar back to 'automatic', so no more shenanigans.
You can also play, then clear your cache, then replay. I got this in three moves but by cheating it looks like I got it in one:
1658424432955.png

Wordle 398 4/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜🟩🟩
⬜🟩⬜🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Wordle 399 5/6

⬜⬜🟨⬜⬜
⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜🟨⬜🟩
🟩⬜⬜🟨🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩No, I did not find a solution for FTL travel. I was only curious.

Last edited:
phinds said:
You can also play, then clear your cache, then replay. I got this in three moves but by cheating it looks like I got it in one:
View attachment 304586

You can also change your time zone (to where it is already past midnight) to preview play the next game.

robphy said:
You can also change your time zone (to where it is already past midnight) to preview play the next game.
See my post above. You can even skip to a day that hasn't arrived anywhere on Earth yet.

Wordle 398 3/6

⬜⬜⬜🟨🟨
⬜⬜⬜⬜🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Not many options left after the first two guesses I think …

phinds said:
View attachment 304586
I suspect that would also clear my 'stats'.

My.Wordle.Stats.2022-07-21 at 8.59.37 PM.png

Even just switching the time and date a few days ago screwed up my 'Current Streak' count.
Cheating, for me anyways, takes a lot of the fun out of the game.
Though I do use a certain 'cheat site' if I get desperate, so my guess distribution is in fact tainted beyond the 'one try' guess from the other day.

ps.

Wordle 397 3/6​
⬛⬛🟨⬛🟩
⬛🟨⬛🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
Zero cheating​

Minor cheating would be to find out how many 'answer' Wordle words are available after each guess.
Major cheating is looking at all those words.

For instance, after my first guess, my cheat site said there were 16 words available.
And after my second guess, there were only 2 words available.

I always check after I complete playing the game to see how well I did.

OmCheeto said:
I suspect that would also clear my 'stats'.
Yes, I'm sure it would

Wordle 398 3/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
🟨🟨⬜🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

More good luck!

Wordle 399 5/6

⬜🟨🟨🟨⬜
🟨🟨🟨⬜⬜
⬜⬜🟩🟨🟩
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Less lucky.

Wordle 400 5/6

⬛🟩🟨⬛⬛
⬛⬛⬛🟩⬛
⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
⬛🟩⬛🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Quite a number of possibilities today, based on the guesses I made.

hutchphd said:
You think you can quit? I've heard it a million times
I played for awhile and then wanted to quit, but "just one more!"

To really kick it, download the java script and scroll thru to the list of candidate words. Once you read the list it is easy to quit. I am free.

Likes hutchphd
I failed. I had the correct letters 2 to 5 with my third word but missed to guess the correct first one. 4 wrong guesses.

Wordle 400 X/6

⬜⬜🟨⬜⬜
🟨🟨⬜🟨⬜
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩

Last edited:
fresh_42 said:
I failed. I had the correct letters 2 to 5 with my third word but missed to guess the correct first one. 4 wrong guesses.
Today was one of those days … I got kind of lucky

Wordle 400 4/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜🟨
⬜⬜⬜🟩⬜
⬜🟩⬜🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Wordle 400 4/6

⬜⬜⬜🟩⬜
🟩🟨⬜⬜🟨
🟩🟩⬜🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Wordle 400 4/6