Wordle Lovers - Play the NYT Daily Game

  • Thread starter Thread starter fresh_42
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Game
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
8,780 replies · 460K views
Wordle 733 4/6

🟦⬜🟦🟧🟧
⬜🟧🟦⬜⬜
⬜🟧🟧🟧🟧
🟧🟧🟧🟧🟧

An auspicious start with a mediocre finish.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
kuruman said:
Wordle 733 4/6

🟦⬜🟦🟧🟧
⬜🟧🟦⬜⬜
⬜🟧🟧🟧🟧
🟧🟧🟧🟧🟧

An auspicious start with a mediocre finish.
It is often easier to have fails. Correct guesses tend to become fixed points and that narrows the guesses that are left dramatically but not necessarily the set of possible solutions. Imagine you had "ea" at positions 2 and 3. Good luck to find a solution with only 5 guesses left.
 
Wordle 733 6/6*

🟨⬜🟨⬜🟩
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩


frustration.png



OK- That was perhaps one of the most frustrating ones I've come across thus far....

Fits nicely with my day which has been so bad it has had me wanting to bludgeon a small mammal with beady eyes to death with a blunt instrument. :P

EDIT:

As often when I write something, afterwards I look up the words I used to make sure I didn't eff up. This definition took me a little by surprise:https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/blunt:blunt
3 of 3

noun​


: a cigar that has been hollowed out and filled with marijuana---
I guess you native speakers aren't surprised.
 
Last edited:
fresh_42 said:
Imagine you had "ea" at positions 2 and 3. Good luck to find a solution with only 5 guesses left.
It's not a matter of luck, but a matter of choice. I imagined what you suggested and I found that the are 42 words out of 2300 that look like -EA---. Of course the blanks must be letters which eliminate quite a few candidates. I considered DEALT which has frequently occurring letters and eliminates all but 11 candidates. Then I said to myself, "Nah, let me consider PEACH which eliminates all but 24 candidates."

The key choice is the second word. I looked at the frequency distribution of the letters in the 24 possibilities and came up with SALTY. It was a good choice as it produced all answers in a total of 3 or 4 attempts. The details are shown below.

Solutions in 3
1687469081420.png


Solutions in 3 or 4. Here the third choice is important. After SALTY there are three possibilities such that choosing one of the three either gets the answer in 3 or in 4. For example in the first box the choice of BEADY has 1/3 probability of getting it in 3 and probability 1 of getting it in 4. That's because -EAD- is in READY but not in WEARY.

1687469485463.png


The average score is 3.63. I might be tempted to investigate this in hard mode and see what the average would be.
 
Wordle 734 5/6

πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨β¬›
πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ¨
πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›
πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I'm not having good luck when I need just one more letter :mad:
 
Wordle 739 3/6

β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›
πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

this could have gone badly, there were at least four choices after my second word.