Work and displacement of the point of application

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of work and the reason why a wall does no work when a skater pushes against it and moves. The reason for this is that there is no displacement of the point of application of the force from the wall, which is the skater. The skater's movement is a result of their own internal work. The conversation also mentions that the skater's arms act like a spring, providing the energy for their movement.
iampaul
I have this example from my physics books which says:
If a skater pushes against the wall and the skater moves, the wall does no work and the motion of the skater only results from the internal work of the skater. It also says that the wall does no work because there is no motion of its point of application, and this part is what i don't understand.
I am thinking that if the force from the wall acts on the skater, then the point of application of the force exerted by the wall is the skater. Since the skater did move, then there is motion of the point of application of the force from the wall.
Although I agree that the wall must have done no work, what confuses me is the reason why, which is about the motion of the point of application as the book tells.

Can anybody please help clear things up.Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
work and displacement of the point of application
I have this example from my physics books which says:
If a skater pushes against the wall and the skater moves, the wall does no work and the motion of the skater only results from the internal work of the skater. It also says that the wall does no work because there is no motion of its point of application, and this part is what i don't understand.
I am thinking that if the force from the wall acts on the skater, then the point of application of the force exerted by the wall is the skater. Since the skater did move, then there is motion of the point of application of the force from the wall.
Although I agree that the wall must have done no work, what confuses me is the reason why, which is about the motion of the point of application as the book tells.

Can anybody please help clear things up.Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks!

In general, the work done by a force is given by

[tex]W = \int \vec{F} \cdot d\vec{x}[/tex]

If you're in a non-calculus based course, you typically have constant forces and this boils down to

[tex]W = F\Delta x[/tex]

If the wall did not move, the wall could not have done work, even if a force was applied. If this is confusing, think of yourself standing on the ground. The Earth is exerting a force on you and you on it, but just by standing there no work is done because no displacements occur vertically.

"If the wall did not move, the wall could not have done work,..."
What I only understand is that if the wall didn't move then the skater did no work to the wall, but i can't still understand why the wall couldn't have done work to the skater based on the reason that there is no motion of its point of application which is the skater and the skater moved so there is displacement.

Since the point of contact of force between the skaters hands and the wall doesn't move, then the wall does no work. The skater's arms are acting similar to a spring and that is the source of the work.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean "there is no motion of its point of applications", but the skater did move so work was done, but it was only done by the skater.

thanks a lot! now i get it!

1. What is work?

Work is a physical quantity that measures the amount of energy transferred when a force is applied to an object and causes it to move a certain distance. It is typically measured in joules (J) in the metric system.

2. What is displacement of the point of application?

Displacement of the point of application refers to the change in position of the point where a force is applied on an object. It is measured in meters (m) in the metric system.

3. How are work and displacement of the point of application related?

Work and displacement of the point of application are directly related. The work done on an object is equal to the force applied to the object multiplied by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. This distance is the displacement of the point of application.

4. What is the formula for calculating work?

The formula for calculating work is W = Fd, where W is work, F is the force applied, and d is the displacement of the point of application in the direction of the force. This formula only applies when the force and displacement are in the same direction.

5. How is work calculated when the force and displacement are not in the same direction?

In cases where the force and displacement are not in the same direction, the work done can be calculated using the formula W = Fdcosθ, where θ is the angle between the force and displacement vectors. This formula is known as the dot product or scalar product.