Work and Electrostatics - a bit of Clarification, please

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of equal and opposite charges on a piano and the top of a ramp in order to move a 1000 kg box up a 30 degree frictionless ramp. The questions revolve around the magnitude of charges needed, the initial energy of the box, and the work required to separate the charges and push the box by hand. The solution to the first question is provided, and there is a discussion about the potential energy and whether the answer to the second question should be zero or a positive value. There is also a question about how to transform an equation and a reference to a solution found online.
fatcat39
Work and Electrostatics - Help!

Homework Statement

I need to place equal and oppositve charges on a piano and at the top of a 5.0 meter ramp in order to move a 1000 kg box up a 30 degree frictionless ramp. The box has a charge of +Q and the top has a -Q.

A) What magnitude charges do I need to keep the box at the bottom and not moving?

B) What is the initial energy of the box?

*Why is it negative?

*Or is it zero?

C) How much work does it take to separate the charges from 5 m to infinity?

D) How much work does it take to push the box by hand?
Work = Fd
How do I find the force that's necessary?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

A) Solved

I solved B, but I just wanted to check that B and C, the answers should be equal? I got an answer of -24.5 kJ for B and is C 24.5 kJ (positive?)

* Or is the answer to B actually zero? I'm told to "make sure" I define my zeros for potential energy. And I found an explanation on handysolver.com (i don't think it's a trustworthy site) that says that B is zero because the zeros were all there, but doesn't the +Q charge still exert a force?

Thanks a lot in advance, I realize my work is a little scatterbrained...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
*But I don't understand the "then" part - can someone explain how to transform the equation?

He set the Fg=Fe and solved for Q

L outside the radical is the same as L^2 inside the radical...

And is B zero? I guess someone else had the exact same problem, because I found a solution:

http://handysolver.com/problemsandso...problem_id=418

that says that B is zero, but I really don't think so.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the relationship between work and electrostatics?

The relationship between work and electrostatics is that work is the amount of energy transferred when a charge is moved in an electric field. This work can be positive or negative, depending on the direction of the movement of the charge.

2. How is work calculated in electrostatics?

Work in electrostatics is calculated by multiplying the force exerted on a charge by the distance the charge is moved.

3. Can work in electrostatics be negative?

Yes, work in electrostatics can be negative. This happens when the direction of the movement of the charge is opposite to the direction of the electric field. In this case, the work done is considered to be negative.

4. Is work the same as potential energy in electrostatics?

No, work and potential energy are not the same in electrostatics. Work is the transfer of energy, while potential energy is the energy stored in an object due to its position or configuration. However, work can change the potential energy of an object in an electric field.

5. How does work done on a charge affect its electric potential?

The work done on a charge affects its electric potential by changing its potential energy. When work is done on a charge, its potential energy increases, and therefore its electric potential also increases. Similarly, when work is done by a charge, its potential energy decreases, and its electric potential decreases as well.