Work and Energy of wrecking ball

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 5K views
kaspis245
Messages
189
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


A wrecking ball swings at the end of a 10.0-m cable on a
vertical circular arc. The crane operator manages to give the ball a
speed of 6.00 m/s as the ball passes through the lowest point of its
swing and then gives the ball no further assistance. Friction and
air resistance are negligible. What speed v does the ball have
when the cable makes an angle of 30.0° with respect to the
vertical?

Homework Equations


Gravitational potential energy

The Attempt at a Solution


image.jpg


The answer must be 3.1 m/s
 
Physics news on Phys.org
When calculating r + k, note that the base of the triangle is not 5 m.

You might try a different construction. Draw a horizontal auxiliary line from the final position of the ball over to the vertical string at the initial position.
 
Sorry, I saw my mistake xD .

If I draw a line from initial to final position, I get an isosceles triangle. Still I don't know how to find the height.
 
Here's the horizontal line I was suggesting.
 
Attachments
  • Wrecking ball.png
    Wrecking ball.png
    6.1 KB · Views: 894